Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The meals appear and taste like microwave meals (imho) but I believe they are cooked in a convection oven.
I remember this being discussed before without a definitive answer. There were some that thought the convection ovens had been removed from the Viewliner diners. It's worth noting that these same meals are also served on trains that don't have (and have never had) convection ovens - e.g. Cardinal and 448/9.

I remember this being discussed before without a definitive answer. There were some that thought the convection ovens had been removed from the Viewliner diners. It's worth noting that these same meals are also served on trains that don't have (and have never had) convection ovens - e.g. Cardinal and 448/9.

I thought the Amfleet II Cafes had convection ovens? They used to serve a modified “traditional” dining car menu on the Lake Shore. It was the grilled items like steaks that weren’t on the menu.

I thought the Amfleet II Cafes had convection ovens? They used to serve a modified “traditional” dining car menu on the Lake Shore. It was the grilled items like steaks that weren’t on the menu.
You could be right. I know the Cardinal far better than that section of the LSL, but what I've had sure tasted microwaved. The only time the Cardinal had better than a microwave was in the brief Superliner interludes - also the only time the cheeseburger wasn't the best thing on its menu.

You could be right. I know the Cardinal far better than that section of the LSL, but what I've had sure tasted microwaved. The only time the Cardinal had better than a microwave was in the brief Superliner interludes - also the only time the cheeseburger wasn't the best thing on its menu.

The only breakfast I had on the Cardinal tasted better than microwaved. It was a French toast made with French bread. This was many years ago though so maybe they downgraded the menu before the flex.

The only breakfast I had on the Cardinal tasted better than microwaved. It was a French toast made with French bread. This was many years ago though so maybe they downgraded the menu before the flex.

The French toast I had on the Cardinal when I rode a couple of years before the flex was not on French bread. It was, however, the best thing on the menu. I had the scrambled eggs as well on that trip thinking that they couldn’t go wrong with eggs. I won’t make that mistake again!

Convection or microwave or whatever... what matters is the quality of the food and what it's served on. When the low grade plastic they're using for those disc plates melts it becomes a carcinogenic threat. And the congealed food propped up by extender and flavor enhancer chemicals, sodium and fat, you have a lethal mix.

Those psychological feelings of disgust when you see this food and smell it... is your body instinctively telling you not ingest.

Because it is harmful.

Convection or microwave or whatever... what matters is the quality of the food and what it's served on. When the low grade plastic they're using for those disc plates melts it becomes a carcinogenic threat. And the congealed food propped up by extender and flavor enhancer chemicals, sodium and fat, you have a lethal mix.

Those psychological feelings of disgust when you see this food and smell it... is your body instinctively telling you not ingest.

Because it is harmful.
The last one I had was ok (at least for me) but I hear you. But I do think the microwave thing can make a difference. I’ve found with leftovers there can be a huge difference between microwave and oven heated leftovers. Not saying the food quality is good but simply that - microwaving probably doesn’t help.

All Amfleet 1 and 2 cafe cars have convection ovens, including those used on the Cardinal. In regards to flex meals from the Diners, these are microwaved as the containers they are served in would melt in convection oven

All Amfleet 1 and 2 cafe cars have convection ovens, including those used on the Cardinal. In regards to flex meals from the Diners, these are microwaved as the containers they are served in would melt in convection oven
My mistake I guess, although based on a conversation with our (excellent) lounge attendant on a Summer 2017 trip from Chicago to Virginia. He said they used a microwave because the containers would melt - and that was before current dining. Entrees were all casserole-type meals, including mac and cheese and pulled pork with rice - not dissimilar to today's offerings.

I just watched a review of the Cardinal from last October from Simply Railway and he was served the current flex meals, so presumably they're using a microwave now?

My mistake I guess, although based on a conversation with our (excellent) lounge attendant on a Summer 2017 trip from Chicago to Virginia. He said they used a microwave because the containers would melt - and that was before current dining. Entrees were all casserole-type meals, including mac and cheese and pulled pork with rice - not dissimilar to today's offerings.

I just watched a review of the Cardinal from last October from Simply Railway and he was served the current flex meals, so presumably they're using a microwave now?
Microwaved plastics become dangerously carcinogenic... especially the low grade plastic discs holding the flex meals. That combined with the chemically processed food contained makes for a deadly concoction for human consumption. :confused:

https://www.quora.com/Can-plastic-be-harmful-if-it’s-melted-onto-food

We're headed PDX >SEA, then Roomette to CHI on EB in two weeks. Any dining recommendations?
You can order the Kosher meals if you want... they are noted as bland... but have much more flavor and texture than the flex meals... which are noted by many as being unsatisfying; little taste, and high in sodium and fat. There is no extra charge. They are interchangeable so you can supposedly have the salmon meal for breakfast.

Check out the kosher options below... but note that those other items from the traditional menu are not available at this time.

http://amtrakfoodfacts.com/menu-items-sdg-020620/

Just gonna leap off topic here for a quick minute...

Love Simply Railway, he's a great guy and produces great content. Can't wait for his review of the Silver Meteor with a Viewliner II!

Just gonna leap off topic here for a quick minute...

Love Simply Railway, he's a great guy and produces great content. Can't wait for his review of the Silver Meteor with a Viewliner II!
Mr. Thibault is best known for his European reviews and he works for Alstom - currently assigned to their Missouri plant I believe he said in one of his Q&A sessions.

Mr. Thibault is best known for his European reviews and he works for Alstom - currently assigned to their Missouri plant I believe he said in one of his Q&A sessions.
Yes, I saw that in a trip report of his, I believe on the Missouri River Runner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back