Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but is there anything in particular on that menu that you like? Any item to avoid? :cool:

I would avoid the braised beef. All you will taste is the salt in the sauce. The green beans are tough and in my case were inedible and the polenta is a very odd consistency. The carrots are great and the beef itself is quite tender, but again all you taste is the salt from the red wine sauce. At least in my experience.

The other entree I have tried is the shrimp and sausage. It resembles a cheap microwaveable rice bowl you’d buy in the pantry of a hotel when you check in at midnight and need to eat something. Not great, but more edible than the beef.

Bring snacks. AND plan ahead for simply another dining recommendaton to your question.
Have a late lunch/early dinner in Seattle before boarding. Bring fruit and breakfast pastries aboard for breakfast the next morning. Or, the 20 min stop in Whitefish at 7:15 AM might allow you to get breakfast goodies and/or lunch delivered while stopped (I think there are shops across the street from the station but not sure if they'd be open at that hour). Google to see if anyone will deliver to the station at Havre (20 min stop) at 12:45 PM for lunch and/or dinner. Ditto to see if someone will deliver dinner at Minot (20 min stop). Ditto to see if someone will deliver breakfast and/or lunch at St. Paul-Minneapolis (or if time allows, go into the station). After STPMN you're pretty much on your own to Chicago unless you Flex-dine. Again, bring snacks.

Note: You'd have to contact the vendors from the train a few minutes out via cell phone about the arrival time and your car location in the train or you could meet at the station. A late train could pose problems. You would also need to take a small YETI type container that could keep food either warm or cold. It would be great for someone to try to see if they can pull this off, even partially, and then post when/where they got food, what food was available, and the timing of the event. It might be a bit of a hassle, but if you pull it off you'd be the envy of everyone on the train. All of the above is subject to Covid-19 openings/closings of eateries.

Just another option. Good luck. Avoid Flex if you can at all cost!!!

Google to see if anyone will deliver to the station at Havre (20 min stop) at 12:45 PM for lunch and/or dinner. Ditto to see if someone will deliver dinner at Minot (20 min stop). Ditto to see if someone will deliver breakfast and/or lunch at St. Paul-Minneapolis (or if time allows, go into the station).

Whitefish MT - a few places will be open within a few blocks of the station, not seeing Uber eats availability.

Havre MT - PJ’s is right across the street from the depot, could probably run across to pick up an order. Dominos pizza 2 blocks away.

Minot ND - “Thai Hot”and Papa Johns pizza are both 1 block away and offer delivery. Parking lot is open direct to platform, should be easy.

St. Paul - Access to tracks is through the large union station and down stairs / elevator - this one would be tricky - I wouldn’t try it.

Kind of sad so many passengers feel the need to bring their own food or purchase food at the station stops. Says quite a lot for the current dining on Amtrak. Why is it so difficult to add sandwiches/subs to the menu? A lot of people don't want to eat "flex" offerings for two,three or more days straight.

Amtrak says on their website flex dining will continue on the Western trains until May 21. Does that mean we return to full service dining the next day?

I think it's going to be hard for Amtrak to go back to the "traditional dining" that preceded Flex Dining. I started riding LD passenger trains (Illinois Central and Southern) just before the dawning of the age of Amtrak. All passengers could eat in the diner. Sleeper passengers ate for “free” by signing the check, and the rest of us paid cash or credit. I had many good meals as a paying coach customer and met fascinating people at the congregate tables.

Running a restaurant on wheels—as wonderful as it was—had significant costs: storing food and supplies; staffing with cooks (chefs), steward (handled cash and got people seated), 2 waiters per car; linen napkins and tablecloths); commercial dishwasher. I’ve watched the dining services gradually implode from the time Amtrak stopped cooking “real food.”

Flex Dining has never been anything more than a euphemism for the “free meals” traditionally provided for sleeping car passengers. For a while now, other passengers have had the choices of the café car and food they bring aboard. Indeed sometimes I made the choice to get something from the Cafe Car with cash. In fact, I wish Amtrak had an option: get the "free" meal or get a Cafe car voucher that has a specified cash value.

Ultimately what is in play is the quality of the heat-and-serve food that is prepared by multitasking staff. Is it closer to airline/Acela food or the frozen meals at the grocery store? There is definitely room for improvement. I’ve noticed that some “reheaters” are inept—usually in the direction of overheating—or unaware of the typical condiments for a particular meal. I will be interested in seeing which, if any, prior dining regime will be reinstated post pandemic.

I started riding LD passenger trains (Illinois Central and Southern) just before the dawning of the age of Amtrak. All passengers could eat in the diner. Sleeper passengers ate for “free” by signing the check, and the rest of us paid cash or credit. I had many good meals as a paying coach customer and met fascinating people at the congregate tables.
I don't recall any railroads before Amtrak, and indeed for the first few years of Amtrak, ever including meals into the sleeper fare.
And the practice of making diner's available only to sleeper passenger's, is a relatively late rule..
Perhaps you might be confused by the old railroad requirement for all diner patrons to write their menu choice on the checks? After the meal, the steward would collect from everyone, coach or sleeper passenger...

Bring snacks. AND plan ahead for simply another dining recommendaton to your question.
Have a late lunch/early dinner in Seattle before boarding. Bring fruit and breakfast pastries aboard for breakfast the next morning. Or, the 20 min stop in Whitefish at 7:15 AM might allow you to get breakfast goodies and/or lunch delivered while stopped (I think there are shops across the street from the station but not sure if they'd be open at that hour). Google to see if anyone will deliver to the station at Havre (20 min stop) at 12:45 PM for lunch and/or dinner. Ditto to see if someone will deliver dinner at Minot (20 min stop). Ditto to see if someone will deliver breakfast and/or lunch at St. Paul-Minneapolis (or if time allows, go into the station). After STPMN you're pretty much on your own to Chicago unless you Flex-dine. Again, bring snacks.

Note: You'd have to contact the vendors from the train a few minutes out via cell phone about the arrival time and your car location in the train or you could meet at the station. A late train could pose problems. You would also need to take a small YETI type container that could keep food either warm or cold. It would be great for someone to try to see if they can pull this off, even partially, and then post when/where they got food, what food was available, and the timing of the event. It might be a bit of a hassle, but if you pull it off you'd be the envy of everyone on the train. All of the above is subject to Covid-19 openings/closings of eateries.

Just another option. Good luck. Avoid Flex if you can at all cost!!!
We're headed PDX >SEA, then Roomette to CHI on EB in two weeks. Any dining recommendations?
I've gotten delivery from Julie's Java House in Columbus Wisconsin. They don't take credit cards though, and I arranged it in advance, sending a check with generous gratuity with a phone call the morning of delivery. I just let my attendant know it was coming and he grabbed it for me. Try the Empire Builder sandwich! :) I have also had pizza delivered at Havre, MT, for myself, and the on board crew.

I will quote Willbridge from another thread:

"A while ago I described the Northern Pacific's deli buffet service on Train 408 (Lunch) and Train 407 (Supper). Train 408 was an ancestor of Amtrak Train 11, carrying the SEA>OAK sleepers. It took one person in the kitchen and one person at the counter, carrying meals for people who needed help and cleaning up. At peaks there was an extra board attendant doing the cleaning/clearing. On my last ride on the NP, going home for Christmas leave in 1968, the counter man was pleased that the GI's cleared their own tables! With a kitchen crew of one they provided fresh sandwiches, soups and salads. I think desserts were packaged (I know ice cream specialties were.).

"It seemed that the customers liked it even though it had a smaller crew than the full dining car that it replaced. And it was the same size crew as on the much-hated SP Automat cars."

This would be a fine service. It wouldn't be traditional dining, but it would be orders of magnitude better than what they've been doing lately.

I used to be quite active on this forum AND I used to ride Amtrak at every opportunity, After reading the above hate thread about flex-dining and seeing some rather heavy handed editing, I think I let sleeping dogs lie and go bye bye SEE YA

I will quote Willbridge from another thread:

"A while ago I described the Northern Pacific's deli buffet service on Train 408 (Lunch) and Train 407 (Supper). Train 408 was an ancestor of Amtrak Train 11, carrying the SEA>OAK sleepers. It took one person in the kitchen and one person at the counter, carrying meals for people who needed help and cleaning up. At peaks there was an extra board attendant doing the cleaning/clearing. On my last ride on the NP, going home for Christmas leave in 1968, the counter man was pleased that the GI's cleared their own tables! With a kitchen crew of one they provided fresh sandwiches, soups and salads. I think desserts were packaged (I know ice cream specialties were.).

"It seemed that the customers liked it even though it had a smaller crew than the full dining car that it replaced. And it was the same size crew as on the much-hated SP Automat cars."

This would be a fine service. It wouldn't be traditional dining, but it would be orders of magnitude better than what they've been doing lately.

This is also pretty close to the original Cross Country Cafe setup which had lots of promise imho. 1 in the kitchen, 1 LSA that served as both Diner and Cafe LSA and then 1 or 2 servers.

If you did take out only you could have the sleeping car attendants take the orders ahead of time, and either deliver the orders or if you want to eat in the diner you “pick-up” your pre-ordered meal at the counter at the set time.

Better employee utilization is a must. The easiest fix increase dining car hours 6am to 230pm and 430pm to 8pm. There’s no need for the diner to be closed 9am to noon as it is/was in most cases. I’m personally a early riser but I know a lot of people aren’t, someone like my mom would enjoy coffee early and a leisurely brunch meal at 10:30 or 11am I’m sure a lot of seniors would. I don’t see a need for the 24 hour dining car but 12 hours plus as above would work. The employees are already on the train why not expand hours.

Another way to better utilize employees is officially have sleeper attendants pitch in more and hold them accountable to. I probably had 60 trips in the Parlour car from SJC/LAX/SJC. Sometimes a sleeper attendant helped with wine tasting and serving food other times it was just the Parlour car attendant. No rhyme or reason. I got the feeling the ones that helped out, helped out because they wanted to not because they were required. Probably the same as it is now with flexible. Some help more then just doing room service to their sleepers.

The unions should play ball if management presented a well thought out proposal that would save the dining and all current jobs.

Better employee utilization is a must. The easiest fix increase dining car hours 6am to 230pm and 430pm to 8pm. There’s no need for the diner to be closed 9am to noon as it is/was in most cases. I’m personally a early riser but I know a lot of people aren’t, someone like my mom would enjoy coffee early and a leisurely brunch meal at 10:30 or 11am I’m sure a lot of seniors would. I don’t see a need for the 24 hour dining car but 12 hours plus as above would work. The employees are already on the train why not expand hours.

Another way to better utilize employees is officially have sleeper attendants pitch in more and hold them accountable to. I probably had 60 trips in the Parlour car from SJC/LAX/SJC. Sometimes a sleeper attendant helped with wine tasting and serving food other times it was just the Parlour car attendant. No rhyme or reason. I got the feeling the ones that helped out, helped out because they wanted to not because they were required. Probably the same as it is now with flexible. Some help more then just doing room service to their sleepers.

The unions should play ball if management presented a well thought out proposal that would save the dining and all current jobs.
I agree, customer service needs to be improved. It's so inconsistent.

As for the diner, It think 6-11 AM, 12-4 Pm, and 5-8 PM would be fine times. It only has two, one hour breaks.

I agree, customer service needs to be improved. It's so inconsistent.

As for the diner, It think 6-11 AM, 12-4 Pm, and 5-8 PM would be fine times. It only has two, one hour breaks.
There is prep work before, and cleanup work after, each meal, especially in the kitchen. This schedule essentially has the kitchen crew working from 5 AM to 9 or 10 PM with no break.

There is prep work before, and cleanup work after, each meal, especially in the kitchen. This schedule essentially has the kitchen crew working from 5 AM to 9 or 10 PM with no break.
The original schedule only has a break between 2:30 and 4:30. Which would probably go to cleanup/preparation.

Now, that's not to say mine is perfect/good

The original cross country cafe offered Breakfast, an all day menu from 11 AM to closing, and a dinner menu from 5-9 pm. So it can be done.

They must have had 2 in the kitchen with that plan.

It seems doubtful, the plan was to reduce staff by having only the 1 food service car. But I wasn’t down there so I don’t know for sure.

Why would the chef need to work less hours than the lsa?

What I also liked about the menu posted above was inexpensive items were available for dinner (burger/veggie burger). This was a huge issue before dining was discontinued. I can’t tell you how many times people seated with or across from us asked to order the hot dog off the kids menu. Like everything else it was 50/50 if the LSA would sell it to them.

As far as management listening to feedback. LOL. Food service may very well be this management’s downfall as it is and will continue to affect the bottom line. Buttigeg won’t be an empty suit like Chao was.

It seems doubtful, the plan was to reduce staff by having only the 1 food service car. But I wasn’t down there so I don’t know for sure.

Why would the chef need to work less hours than the lsa?
The main concern being who will cook when the chef is on breaks for his/her meal, etc.
They may have had 2 people if they were using china etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back