Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They way I recall pre-Amtrak times, was that each passenger would have a blank check in front of them with the menu, and there was a cup with some pencil stubs to write with. Nothing was pre-printed. No boxes to check. You actually printed out your menu choices. Then the waiter would come by, pick up your check, and review your selections, and clarify certain items, and ask "how would you like that steak?, etc.
It amazed me how they could read some rather illegible handwriting...

The main reason for having the passengers write their selections themselves, was to prevent waste, in case the passenger disputed what they had ordered.

After the meal, the steward came around with the totaled amount on each check, and collected...either in cash, or the rarely held, Rail Travel Credit Card.

As you described, that is exactly what I remember pre-Amtrak. And, I think that this was also done in the very early years of Amtrak's existence.

The main reason for having the passengers write their selections themselves, was to prevent waste, in case the passenger disputed what they had ordered.

I was always told by “dining car historians” that the rule was based on racist issues of the time.

Damn! I made a reservation on the Eagle/Sunset to LA on the 21st,anticipating two days of real food. If it starts the 24th I'll totally miss it. Rescheduling is tough. I paid low bucket and every date through the summer is higher. No way I will pay any more than low bucket.

But you can't choose which kosher meal you get, can you? So if you don't eat seafood wouldn't you be playing kosher meal roulette?
Yes, you can select your kosher meal but you must do it 72 hours in advance. You don't just pick "kosher" as an item and get "kosher surprise". Even I wouldn't attribute that level of incompetence to Amtrak executives and, Lord knows, I think they rate below weeds.

Damn! I made a reservation on the Eagle/Sunset to LA on the 21st,anticipating two days of real food. If it starts the 24th I'll totally miss it. Rescheduling is tough. I paid low bucket and every date through the summer is higher. No way I will pay any more than low bucket.
Yea, it starts the day you arrive. That is unfortunate. You can check if the train has flexible or traditional dining just by clicking details.

1615585588222.png1615585631185.png

I was always told by “dining car historians” that the rule was based on racist issues of the time.
How so? I know in the South Black passengers were either banned from the dining car or limited to a screened off booth, but I'm not clear what written meal orders have to do with race?

How so? I know in the South Black passengers were either banned from the dining car or limited to a screened off booth, but I'm not clear what written meal orders have to do with race?

For many reasons, Black passengers were less likely to be able to read and write than white passengers -- which meant they weren't able to fill out their meal check -- which, in effect, meant they weren't able to eat in the dining car.

OK. I ll be on the TE/Sunset on May 22 and 23rd. Of course,reading the above the statement says flexible dining will be "renamed" traditional dining. Doesn't that mean traditional dining is back?

OK. I ll be on the TE/Sunset on May 22 and 23rd. Of course,reading the above the statement says flexible dining will be "renamed" traditional dining. Doesn't that mean traditional dining is back?
I think it was a joke

The Pullman waiters were black. I’ve heard various reasons but basically the waiters were only to deliver the checks to the Steward (who was white).

I’ve also heard what @trainman74 mentioned in his post - by refusing to take verbal orders it would keep immigrants and illiterates from dining.

Well, for some of us, it did not go over our head. As soon as I read the post, I laughed and told my wife what it said. She immediately laughed too!
It was great! Someone else is as crazy as I am!
I wasn't 100% sure :)

My apologies if this was already answered earlier in the thread but with the signing of the relief bill, does that also mean that full service traditional dining will resume again??

Yes, in late May. The east coast trains will keep flexible dining, though.

It seems that the City of New Orleans will also retain flexible dining; not just the East coast. So, if you're going to New Orleans from Chicago, get ready to experience flexible dining. Hope that changes. Texas Eagle goes back to traditional.

The eastbound Lake Shore leaves Chicago at 9:30 at night, arrives in Albany at 2:30 the next afternoon (and often more like 4 p.m. if late), and Boston at 8-10 p.m. So that's multiple meal periods. There's no way I would book a family vacation using the Lake Shore or Capitol with the current meal service, and no way I'd recommend it to anyone else. A bedroom for two on the Lake Shore still costs about $750 a night at the lowest bucket that's ever available. I could imagine toughing it out if traveling alone in a roomette, but it really has zero appeal to me. The breakfast doesn't even meet the Motel 6 standard.
Unfair! I stayed at a Motel 6 recently. Discouraging. NOTHING but coffee. Also, a substandard sliver of soap and substandard towel. From now on, it's the luxurious Quality Inn for me!!

Like before,all the one overnight trains with the exception of the Texas Eagle and Coast Starlight will remain with flex dining.

The Silver Trains are quite popular. It would be nice for the Meteor to do traditional dining to give passengers a choice. A lot of seniors use those trains and like 99% of us are not pleased with the offerings Flex dining has.

It seems that the City of New Orleans will also retain flexible dining; not just the East coast. So, if you're going to New Orleans from Chicago, get ready to experience flexible dining. Hope that changes. Texas Eagle goes back to traditional.
Well before "flexible dining," CONO disappointed. They went to sandwiches and did not even include a muffaletta! No sense of place!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back