Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a past post regarding the cost of the Flex meals somewhere. Specifically that if an employee wanted one they were around $25, which of course furthered the value discussion, complaints about Amtrak accounting and cost allocation, etc.

That seems fair. The employees get them for half price.

There was a past post regarding the cost of the Flex meals somewhere. Specifically that if an employee wanted one they were around $25, which of course furthered the value discussion, complaints about Amtrak accounting and cost allocation, etc.

I thought they were quite a bit more than that. I’m thinking $38 for some reason? Which $38 plus $12 for a bottle of wine would be $50.

I would presume they could not charge dining car customers more for the wine than clearly posted on the cafe menus. Talk about grounds for a complaint... "so if I drink it here it's one price..." It's always been the same wine in the same sizes. Other than the PPC, they never loaded special wines for the dining car IIRC.

Originally yes was due to a shortage of heritage dining cars - and prior to Anderson I believe the intent was to return traditional dining car service when the train received VL2s. If I remember from looking at menus it was very similar to the Cardinal's pre-flex setup.
We took the LSL in the summer of 2018 and ate the flex (or maybe it was called "contemporary") meals in a dining car. I had the Asian noodle bowl. So I'm confused about the shortage of heritage dining car idea. Were we just "lucky" to get an LSL that did have diner when most of them didn't?

I would presume they could not charge dining car customers more for the wine than clearly posted on the cafe menus. Talk about grounds for a complaint... "so if I drink it here it's one price..." It's always been the same wine in the same sizes. Other than the PPC, they never loaded special wines for the dining car IIRC.

On the current cafe menu two wines are listed-
187 ml Barefoot for $8.
375 ml Line 39 for $16

The Empire Builder used to serve “premium” wines as well but I’m not sure if they were also offered in the cafe.

Last edited:
On the current cafe menu two wines are listed-
187 ml Barefoot for $8.
375 ml Line 39 for $16

The Empire Builder used to serve “premium” wines as well but I’m not sure if they were also offered in the cafe.

I actually won one of those wines on the Empire Builder back during the wine and cheese sessions. Sadly, I don’t remember what it was, except a Columbia River Valley wine and it was pretty good. FWIW, I didn’t know that wine was available in the cafe. I thought it was just in the dining car that you could purchase it.

You can get four of those little bottles of wine for 6 to 7 dollars in any grocery or liquor store. I always have them with me when I get a sleeper.

You can get four of those little bottles of wine for 6 to 7 dollars in any grocery or liquor store. I always have them with me when I get a sleeper.

Yeah, rather than spend a zillion dollars, bring your own but you have to enjoy it in your room. I’ve never spent anything on the train for adult beverages of any sort. When I went out East a couple of times, I got a coupon for a complimentary drink, which I used on a can of beer. Even if alcohol were to be cheap, I’d not spend anything because I don’t like to drink while on the train. I want a clear head when taking in the scenery. I’m a lightweight as far as drinking goes.

We took the LSL in the summer of 2018 and ate the flex (or maybe it was called "contemporary") meals in a dining car. I had the Asian noodle bowl. So I'm confused about the shortage of heritage dining car idea. Were we just "lucky" to get an LSL that did have diner when most of them didn't?

On the Lake Shore, the "contemporary" meals began the moment the new Viewliner diners went into service on June 1, 2018. Before that, they had used an Amfleet lounge with table service for a few years after the heritage diners were retired. This was nicknamed "diner lite" service, because the offerings were somewhat restricted by the lack of a full kitchen.

This was nicknamed "diner lite" service, because the offerings were somewhat restricted by the lack of a full kitchen.

It is ridiculous that I know this much useless Amtrak trivia but...

“Diner Lite” was an official Amtrak term that came about in 2008 when they redid all of the Amfleet II Cafe cars so they could act as Diner and/or Lounge cars as needed.

This was the same time that the “Cross Country Cafe” cars were converted as well.

It is ridiculous that I know this much useless Amtrak trivia but...

“Diner Lite” was an official Amtrak term that came about in 2008 when they redid all of the Amfleet II Cafe cars so they could act as Diner and/or Lounge cars as needed.

This was the same time that the “Cross Country Cafe” cars were converted as well.

I never knew that. I had thought it was just a slightly derisive nickname given by train riders. I remember that there was an earlier Diner Lite period for the Lake Shore in the mid-to-late 2000s, and then they managed to find a heritage diner for it starting in about 2010. Then it went back to Diner Lite a few years after that, when the heritage diners were removed from service for good. So to me, it really does rub salt in the wound that when the new diners finally arrive, Amtrak basically stops offering the service they were designed to provide.

I've seen a room tour in it, they are SO much nicer. There is an upcoming review by Simply_Railway. I can't wait!

They look better except no toilet in the roomettes so you have to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed, trudge down the hall to use a public toilet - in the age of Covid!

All the roomettes on the Superliners do not have toilets in the room. There is one upstairs and three downstairs.

They look better except no toilet in the roomettes so you have to get up in the middle of the night, get dressed, trudge down the hall to use a public toilet - in the age of Covid!

Beats waking your friend up in the middle of the night, having him get dressed and go in the hall while you use the toilet next to the bed he's been trying to sleep in.

The in-room toilet is very controversial, and I am 100% okay with it not being there.

I'm fine with using the communal one. It's far less hazardous than any other public toilet you'll find, and I've never had an attendant who neglected to clean them.

But back to dining, in January I took the overnight train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi in Finland and booked myself a sleeping compartment. The food was not included, but the dining/snack car was basically a full restaurant car. You could get snacks or a full meal and it was all attended to by one person. You'd go up to the counter and place your order and if it was a prepared sandwich or snack you'd get it then, but if it was a full meal like meatballs and mashed potatoes the attendant would just bring it to your table once ready. No idea if they make any money off food or make a loss, but it sure was nice

But back to dining, in January I took the overnight train from Helsinki to Rovaniemi in Finland and booked myself a sleeping compartment. The food was not included, but the dining/snack car was basically a full restaurant car. You could get snacks or a full meal and it was all attended to by one person. You'd go up to the counter and place your order and if it was a prepared sandwich or snack you'd get it then, but if it was a full meal like meatballs and mashed potatoes the attendant would just bring it to your table once ready. No idea if they make any money off food or make a loss, but it sure was nice

That sounds similar to the food service available on the Caledonian Sleeper from London.

Is the cafe available to coach and sleeper passengers?

and was the food served with “real” plates and silverware?

That sounds similar to the food service available on the Caledonian Sleeper from London.

Is the cafe available to coach and sleeper passengers?

and was the food served with “real” plates and silverware?

Yeah it's open to everyone. It's pretty much the same restaurant car on the overnight trains and their normal day trains.

Breakfast omelette
PXL_20210126_054934174.jpg

Meatball lunch
PXL_20210127_104845166.jpg

Far away shot of the actual service counter from my seat.
PXL_20210125_180059848.jpg

Warm falafel salad and club sandwich options!
PXL_20210125_180249274.jpg

I don't think its hard to wear some type pajamas, go down the isle to the restroom. Its easier than fumbling around trying to use the commode in the roomette in the dark of the night. Unless maybe you're in the room by yourself.

I don't think its hard to wear some type pajamas, go down the isle to the restroom. Its easier than fumbling around trying to use the commode in the roomette in the dark of the night. Unless maybe you're in the room by yourself.
I always have a pair of jogging shorts,tshirt and sandals I wear when I have to go to the shower or bathroom while on the train @ night.

RPA is strangely quiet about flex meals these days. Great that they are eventually coming back to the west coast trains, but is there any hope for the east? I hate to write a letter being so specific when they have so many changes going on right now, but it would sure be nice to enjoy a dinner in the brand new diners...
Who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back