Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this the thread about dining?

I have some news:

Right now on #2 Sunset Ltd the dining car atttendant announced that he has two specials for lunch that are not listed on the menue: a vegetarian cheese manicotti dish and turkey with cranberries and vegetables.

Additionally, in case you don't like this nor the printed menue, you can get a voucher in the dining car for the cafe car, where you can get pizza, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers etc.

That's the first time I heard this! Has anyone else has heard this before? Of course you were always free to purchase stuff downstairs in the cafe, but these vouchers must be new.

When José came by to take orders I asked him about the specials, and he said he hasn't had much demand for that. Weird, aren't ppl getting tired of the same old same old? But then, the train left last night, ppl might be on the first round of meals here. I will certainly go for the specials! And tomorrow I'll see what the cafe stuff is like!

I still have a few more days onboard, so this feels good to me.

Btw, I don't think I mentioned it, on the Zephyr earlier this week I had the cod (pretty good but not crispy, as sealed in plastic) and the shrimp in lobster sauce.

The latter didn't like me, wanted to leave my digestion system promptly. It didn't taste bad and I really don't think it was spoilt or so. I wasn't really sick, just had diarrhea afterwards. So I'll stay away from that now.

I also had the Asian noodles which I had plenty of last year on a previous cross country trip. It was fine then, my main complaint was the small size of it. Not much food there for lunch or dinner, you'll need an extra sandwich or so. But otherwise it was fine.

Had another asian noodle bowl on the CZ this week and I felt not so good afterwards. Not getting sick, just unwell for a couple of hours.

I am normally not a person with a sensitive stomach, have no allergies or so, therefore I found it odd. So no asian noodles and no shrimp/lobster for me anymore on this trip!

Right now on #2 Sunset Ltd the dining car atttendant announced that he has two specials for lunch that are not listed on the menue: a vegetarian cheese manicotti dish and turkey with cranberries and vegetables.

Additionally, in case you don't like this nor the printed menue, you can get a voucher in the dining car for the cafe car, where you can get pizza, cheeseburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers etc.

I am normally not a person with a sensitive stomach, have no allergies or so, therefore I found it odd. So no asian noodles and no shrimp/lobster for me anymore on this trip!

That could be great news on the specials and the vouchers. At least it could mean that they are understanding that offering alternatives to the contemporary dining is a good thing right now – especially on longer routes.

My wife and I just came off of four days of contemporary dining (two days on the train, five days at our destination, two more days on the train).

Relative to all of our other Amtrak food experiences over the years - this was unquestionably the worst. However, we had appropriate expectations and we survived.

But there is no question that the meals did impact my wife’s digestive system somewhat - and she doesn’t have a sensitive stomach. Here’s to hoping that the contemporary dining will be gone forever from western trains before the summer, and completely from all trains by the end of 2021.

Nobody is expecting gourmet dining, but the standard does need to be raised. I think a majority of Amtrak riders would certainly agree with that. They can’t use diners as an excuse, and they can’t use Mica as an excuse. And sometime soon, they won’t be able to use Covid as an excuse either.

I have some news:

That's the first time I heard this! Has anyone else has heard this before? Of course you were always free to purchase stuff downstairs in the cafe, but these vouchers must be new.

When José came by to take orders I asked him about the specials, and he said he hasn't had much demand for that. Weird, aren't ppl getting tired of the same old same old? But then, the train left last night, ppl might be on the first round of meals here. I will certainly go for the specials! And tomorrow I'll see what the cafe stuff is like!

I still have a few more days onboard, so this feels good to me.

Btw, I don't think I mentioned it, on the Zephyr earlier this week I had the cod (pretty good but not crispy, as sealed in plastic) and the shrimp in lobster sauce.

The latter didn't like me, wanted to leave my digestion system promptly. It didn't taste bad and I really don't think it was spoilt or so. I wasn't really sick, just had diarrhea afterwards. So I'll stay away from that now.

I also had the Asian noodles which I had plenty of last year on a previous cross country trip. It was fine then, my main complaint was the small size of it. Not much food there for lunch or dinner, you'll need an extra sandwich or so. But otherwise it was fine.

Had another asian noodle bowl on the CZ this week and I felt not so good afterwards. Not getting sick, just unwell for a couple of hours.

Boarding a train tonight! Hoping I can get a free pizza from the cafe instead of flex dining for some meals, I personally like the pizzas

Yes, sorry...didn't mean to 'hijack' the thread, but just wanted to respond to posts that already had. Besides, "dining" seems to come up in lots of other threads...:)

That could be great news on the specials and the vouchers. At least it could mean that they are understanding that offering alternatives to the contemporary dining is a good thing right now – especially on longer routes.

My wife and I just came off of four days of contemporary dining (two days on the train, five days at our destination, two more days on the train).

Relative to all of our other Amtrak food experiences over the years - this was unquestionably the worst. However, we had appropriate expectations and we survived.

But there is no question that the meals did impact my wife’s digestive system somewhat - and she doesn’t have a sensitive stomach. Here’s to hoping that the contemporary dining will be gone forever from western trains before the summer, and completely from all trains by the end of 2021.

Nobody is expecting gourmet dining, but the standard does need to be raised. I think a majority of Amtrak riders would certainly agree with that. They can’t use diners as an excuse, and they can’t use Mica as an excuse. And sometime soon, they won’t be able to use Covid as an excuse either.

I too feel like my digestion's out of whack after a cross-country Amtrak trip--both with the previous cooked-on-board meals and now with the flex menu. I've attributed that to the extensive presence of chemical preservatives and other such additives in nearly all the food. Most meals I eat when I'm not traveling are cooked at home, using ingredients that don't rely heavily on chemical preservatives. So I think I'm not used to that, and my gut doesn't like it.

With regard to indigestion and other GI issues, sometimes when traveling on a train, I too have gotten indigestion after eating both flex fair as well as traditional dining whereas it doesn't happen nearly as often when I'm on dry land. I have assumed it's because the train motion jostles my innards, so when I'm eating, the pot (belly) is getting stirred somewhat creating air bubbles and so forth.

Due to confusion last night, the LSA is doing lunch and dinner by seatings with three available. We’re choosing to skip lunch (having take out) and having the last seating at dinner. They had us order the meals as well as she said it’d take 45 minutes to cook 🤔

I have followed the variations on the topics of the toilet fixture in roomettes, roomette size, and occupancy limits. There’s no universal answer about roomette travel. There are so many variables: [1] personality (eeew factor re toilets); [2] tolerance for close quarters, [3] physical size -- height and weight; and [4] activity capacity and level – walking around inside the train and outside on “smoke” stops. Also, in the Before Times, you could schmooze in the diner 3 times a day with a changing cast of fellow travelers. I experienced “Flex” Dining when it first hit the Lake Shore Limited and later on the Crescent. I never considered it as being anything other than a disingenuous name bamboozle for a cost-cutting measure. It was tolerated because I value most the flat sleeping opportunity and environmental control over when I sleep. I will exist the first day on home or take-out brought aboard and the second day on Flex or snack car breakfast and with a brief hit at the high sugar, grease, and sodium offerings.

My personality does not favor shared toilets. A career in public health, alerted me to sanitation in public shared spaces. It would be interesting to know if Amtrak cleaning staff receive the same infection control specific training that we use in hospitals. As others have mentioned, I carried and used disinfectants (disposable gloves and wipes) long before COVID-19. Another pathogen of concern was norovirus (recall cruise ship outbreaks). Alcohol (as in hand sanitizer) does not work on them. They need bleach (chlorine or hydrogen peroxide) and good hand washing. I won’t go further, but advise people to research and read labels.

The cafe car voucher and specials are a good idea to add more choices - unfortunately the cafe car has also seen cuts so basically you can get a microwave burger or pizza. I guess it can break things up if you get sick of the flex meals or don’t want a heavy meal at lunch time. It would be a bigger benefit in normal times when salads and sandwiches are sold in the cafe car.

The cafe car voucher and specials are a good idea to add more choices - unfortunately the cafe car has also seen cuts so basically you can get a microwave burger or pizza. I guess it can break things up if you get sick of the flex meals or don’t want a heavy meal at lunch time. It would be a bigger benefit in normal times when salads and sandwiches are sold in the cafe car.

The current menu posted still has chicken wings and “skillet Mac n cheese” - the mac n cheese I had years ago on the cascades bistro car was pretty good but I’m not sure if this is the same one.

Also can still get the cheese and cracker tray and pretzels and hummus.

Agreed it’s not as good as the full cafe menu, but still better than flex dining imho!

Also, respectfully - I think there has been a lot of over dramatization of the whole flex dining thing on our forum.

I am firmly on the record as hating the concept, the whole procedure - and not being a fan of the food. I can’t wait for it to be replaced with something better and for it to go away forever.

But, it is not “worse than TV dinners”, “absolute garbage” or “not even close to the quality of lean cuisine and other similar microwave fare”.

It is firmly in the center of all of the above - not markedly better, not markedly worse. It (like most of the above) is laced with preservatives, not particularly healthy, and not an option for those with significant dietary restrictions.

But...it is not without a similar level of taste and enjoyment as those other unhealthy instant meal options.

Again, I can’t wait for it to go away - but after 7 meals (and a cafe hot dog) I live on to tell the tale.

My wife and I have shared roomettes many times and I always get the top bunk! Getting old for the gymnastics required to get in and out of bunk with low headroom :) No problem sharing space and using restroom down the hall, and we prefer to save money for the next adventure. Leaving Tuesday on EB, PDX>CHI. Thought about postponing until late May and return of "better" food service, but actually am curious about flex meals since I will eat anything! Also excited about first trip in a year.

I have followed the variations on the topics of the toilet fixture in roomettes, roomette size, and occupancy limits. There’s no universal answer about roomette travel. There are so many variables: [1] personality (eeew factor re toilets); [2] tolerance for close quarters, [3] physical size -- height and weight; and [4] activity capacity and level – walking around inside the train and outside on “smoke” stops. Also, in the Before Times, you could schmooze in the diner 3 times a day with a changing cast of fellow travelers. I experienced “Flex” Dining when it first hit the Lake Shore Limited and later on the Crescent. I never considered it as being anything other than a disingenuous name bamboozle for a cost-cutting measure. It was tolerated because I value most the flat sleeping opportunity and environmental control over when I sleep. I will exist the first day on home or take-out brought aboard and the second day on Flex or snack car breakfast and with a brief hit at the high sugar, grease, and sodium offerings.

My personality does not favor shared toilets. A career in public health, alerted me to sanitation in public shared spaces. It would be interesting to know if Amtrak cleaning staff receive the same infection control specific training that we use in hospitals. As others have mentioned, I carried and used disinfectants (disposable gloves and wipes) long before COVID-19. Another pathogen of concern was norovirus (recall cruise ship outbreaks). Alcohol (as in hand sanitizer) does not work on them. They need bleach (chlorine or hydrogen peroxide) and good hand washing. I won’t go further, but advise people to research and read labels.

Thanks. Interesting and informative comments, especially regarding viruses that are resistant to alcohol. I have not taken a LD trip on Amtrak since the pandemic started (just trips of a couple of hours or less). On these short trips I avoid the train toilet. I had thought that when I go back to travelling in a Bedroom I would take 70% alcohol with me and sanitize the bathroom and other surfaces I'm likely to touch. Now from what you say I might be wise to take some bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide as well.

I agree with your other comments. As for Roomettes, the irony that Roomettes designed decades before Amtrak even came into existence, were meant for ONE PERSON - and that was in the age when few Americans were overweight. Now that obesity is the norm, Amtrak has crammed two people into a space that should only accommodate one. Another factor that I have not seen mentioned here is that many older people need to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, hence rooms without toilets are a particular inconvenience - and in the age of Covid a health hazard.

Last edited:
Also, respectfully - I think there has been a lot of over dramatization of the whole flex dining thing on our forum.

I am firmly on the record as hating the concept, the whole procedure - and not being a fan of the food. I can’t wait for it to be replaced with something better and for it to go away forever.

But, it is not “worse than TV dinners”, “absolute garbage” or “not even close to the quality of lean cuisine and other similar microwave fare”.

It is firmly in the center of all of the above - not markedly better, not markedly worse. It (like most of the above) is laced with preservatives, not particularly healthy, and not an option for those with significant dietary restrictions.

But...it is not without a similar level of taste and enjoyment as those other unhealthy instant meal options.

Again, I can’t wait for it to go away - but after 7 meals (and a cafe hot dog) I live on to tell the tale.

So why can't the frozen meals be as good as airline first class? Aren't we also first class passengers paying premium fares? Amtrak can provide quality frozen food but it seems obvious that they don't want to. Or are the expectations of Amtrak's sleeping car passengers much less than those of airline first class passengers? I don't care if the traditional dining car returns. I don't think everything they served in the dining car was fresh anyway. In fact, most was probably frozen. I'd be perfectly happy with good quality frozen food served in my room. I just don't want the unhealthy junk they offer now. I'd rather have a good sandwich or the kind of cheese and cold meat plate they offered when they first eliminated traditional dining on the Lake Shore. That was actually a really high quality offering - and it even came with a half bottle of good wine. No more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back