Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And he didn’t specifically say it was only western trains. I said I interpreted what he said to include eastern trains. We’ll find out later if my interpretation was correct or not.

I just reread the post and he said “all long distance trains“. I’m so used to there being traditional dining on the western trains only, that I read ”all” as “western“. My apology for that. We shall see how it all pans out as I’d love to see traditional dining out east again!

It is a change and would make the bedroom less desirable for those able-bodied passengers that Amtrak could sell the room to if not being used by an ADA passenger. Seems like a dumb move. I would think most ADA passengers would like privacy when in the bathroom too. Don't understand the logic here.
There was a lot of review of the Viewliner II handicapped bedroom design, particularly the bathroom, by various people with mobility impairments, including lots of people in different wheelchairs. There are specific reasons why this was better for them. I do not remember the reasons at this time, because they were highly technical, but the change apparently significantly improves the experience for some.

There was a lot of review of the Viewliner II handicapped bedroom design, particularly the bathroom, by various people with mobility impairments, including lots of people in different wheelchairs. There are specific reasons why this was better for them. I do not remember the reasons at this time, because they were highly technical, but the change apparently significantly improves the experience for some.

And that is what matters. If the room is better for those folks - terrific.

I thought traditional dining was supposed to return May 24 to coincide with the return of daily service. So,it's being pushed back again?

Reactions: Cal

Okay. I personally know one person who uses a wheelchair and he wouldn't want this but I guess there are other situations that would make this setup more desirable. I assume there is still an enclosed shower in the former toilet enclosure.

My thoughts were because for example on the Silver Meteor there are often three sleepers. Only one of course has access to the diner. I would guess that there are not three ADA passengers occupying all three rooms every night. Being equivalent to the higher-priced bedroom accommodations, these rooms increase the bedroom availability substantially if they could be sold to the general public. There is a rule that if an H room is not sold to an ADA passenger within 14 days of travel, it could be sold to a non-ADA passenger. So you go from 6 bedrooms to 9 available bedrooms on every typical Silver Meteor consist. You could potentially increase bedroom revenue 50% which is substantial.

The older design with the enclosed toilet allowed this but this new design with the toilet in the middle of the room makes these rooms more exclusive to wheeled mobility device passengers which is fine but doesn't allow the flexibility Amtrak previously had to sell these rooms. Realize that passengers with disabilities requesting an accessible room are not solely restricted to those with mobility devices and this new room arrangement may not appeal to many.

Now if there are three wheeled mobility device ADA passengers on every Silver Meteor train then that would be great and it all makes sense but I got a feeling that is not the case.

BTW - We once traveled on the SM and the woman in the H room brought her little dog into the diner and he sat next to her at the table while she ate.

Last edited:
I just did on a trip I am taking on the 25th of May on the CS and it says traditional dining. So what's with this source?

Reactions: Cal
The source i have, said Mid Summer for western trains and Late Summer/fall for other and East coast trains. This will include linen and china!
@OBS, thanks. That is similar to what I have heard through other independent sources too. I was also told that the "mid-summer" is subject to interpretation. The policy is to do it as soon as possible, even coincidental with the daily service restoration where feasible, but recognize the realities of the logistics, and it might slip a bit in some cases. So I think there is good reason to believe that to be true, until proven otherwise of course 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I suspect some of the details will change over time. As I mentioned before, the goal is to establish traditional dining on the Western LDs in conjunction with the restoration of daily service. It is likely that for now the reservation system reflects that. It is possible that in some cases logistical difficulties might cause some short delays. Naturally such will be notified when details are actually known.

Eastern LDs are expected in Fall at some point. I would be surprised if any of them show that in the reservation system

I will be on the Southwest Chief the end of September and hope I can get a traditional meal served in my roomette. That will be a win-win for me :p.

Does a change to Traditional Dining mean a change to menus that change daily and are different on different trains? I yearn for the good old days :p

Does a change to Traditional Dining mean a change to menus that change daily and are different on different trains? I yearn for the good old days :p
Doesn't seem likely, there will most likely be a National Menu for the LD Trains with the Cardinal being the exception.( Why cant the Card have one of the New Diners? Diner Lites suck!!)

Doesn't seem likely, there will most likely be a National Menu for the LD Trains with the Cardinal being the exception.( Why cant the Card have one of the New Diners? Diner Lites suck!!)
The web site has different menu links for different lines, but they all point to the same menu. :rolleyes:

We need one of the equipment gurus to chime in here.

Are there enough VLII Diners so the Cardinal could get one? What do they need - two?

Enquiring minds want to know!

(yes, I mispelled it on purpose)

We need one of the equipment gurus to chime in here.

Are there enough VLII Diners so the Cardinal could get one? What do they need - two?

Enquiring minds want to know!

(yes, I mispelled it on purpose)
Yes they have enough. 25 is more than enough to populate 17 consists and leave enough shop slop and protects to go around. Heck they have enough for a daily Cardinal too. :)

I realize we don't yet know when traditional dining will actually return, or even what it will look or taste like, but it's just so nice to have some good news for a change. Daily trains and better meals? Yes, please! In some ways it feels like we've been waiting forever but when I look at a calendar it seems like we're making good progress all things considered. I hope the latest news about Eastern routes holds true and that coach passengers are welcomed into the dining car when dense communal seating can be handled safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back