Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the issue. My question was moved to this thread involuntarily but it has nothing to do with dining (I was only explaining why I went back to Amtrak's site). Rather what does CANCELED mean on my reservation?
I'm not sure. I would try to book it on Arrow to see if it shows up as a possible trip. And I would also call Amtrak. But others may have better advice

They were at one time planning to remove cooking equipment from the Viewliner diners to convert them to lounge cafe's....so I am wondering if any of that was done, and if so, how long would it take to restore them to full service galley's?

They were at one time planning to remove cooking equipment from the Viewliner diners to convert them to lounge cafe's....so I am wondering if any of that was done, and if so, how long would it take to restore them to full service galley's?

Well there are still diners operating on all of the single level trains. Of course those trains aren’t running daily so maybe there wouldn’t be enough to go around.... hopefully they never began thT project.

...Apparently very few are still around. So they have to start from scratch with new hires and training for significant part of the necessary staff...

Most of my bad experiences in full service Dining have been in the East.

IF they get somebody good to do the training and install a customer first attitude (that’s a BIG IF), the need to restaff might not be all bad.

Of course, it could also be a disaster...

I'm not sure. I would try to book it on Arrow to see if it shows up as a possible trip. And I would also call Amtrak. But others may have better advice
I finally got through to Amtrak. They changed my reservation to a different car and managed to totally screw it up. They also never sent me an update to indicate the changes. They had the two of us in TWO BEDROOMS on two of the trains and when the agent tried to fix it, she could not and it got messed up so she had to get technical help. Finally, she said it was fixed. So I end up getting an eticket that says I am going between HIN and CHI round trip but lists me on the individual trains correctly as HIN to CHI and CHI to Grand Junction with returns. When I asked her why the ticket clearly states HIN -> CHI with four trains listed, she could not and, of course, she cannot even see the documents she had the system send to me.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who refused to talk to me and who told the agent to tell me she was going into a meeting (10:30PM EDT) and I would have to call back another time.

Once the agent fixed the screwup, I was able to send a copy of what I thought was going to be the information in the popup that showed everything including amenities. But it did not. I guess Amtrak doesn't want that to be sent out in case someone points out evidence that they didn't get what was promised at the time they made the reservation.

Really? I thought the LA crews were supposed to be the best.

SCA’s have always been great. Many of the Parlour car LSA’s were excellent as well. I’ve had good dining car crews on LA based trains as well but certainly the worst has been from LA.

I finally got through to Amtrak. They changed my reservation to a different car and managed to totally screw it up. They also never sent me an update to indicate the changes. They had the two of us in TWO BEDROOMS on two of the trains and when the agent tried to fix it, she could not and it got messed up so she had to get technical help. Finally, she said it was fixed. So I end up getting an eticket that says I am going between HIN and CHI round trip but lists me on the individual trains correctly as HIN to CHI and CHI to Grand Junction with returns. When I asked her why the ticket clearly states HIN -> CHI with four trains listed, she could not and, of course, she cannot even see the documents she had the system send to me.

I asked to speak to a supervisor who refused to talk to me and who told the agent to tell me she was going into a meeting (10:30PM EDT) and I would have to call back another time.

Once the agent fixed the screwup, I was able to send a copy of what I thought was going to be the information in the popup that showed everything including amenities. But it did not. I guess Amtrak doesn't want that to be sent out in case someone points out evidence that they didn't get what was promised at the time they made the reservation.
I'm sorry. Hope nothing else happens!

Next time, try taking a 'screen shot', and then save and print....

Opposite for me. By far the worst Dining Car LSA’s I’ve had were based in LA. Two different lsa’s on the starlight, and Two different lsa’s on the Chief.

When I rode the SWC from Los Angeles, the Chef overcooked almost everything. Chicken breast was so dry and tough, I finally gave up and only ate about half of it. Scrambled eggs were dry and rubbery.

I just made a reservation for California Zephyr for May 30. I asked the rep if normal dining will be reinstated by then and he said they aren’t saying for sure and to plan on boxed meals.

On another note, this was a points reservation and the rep showed the points required to be 672 points more than what the website showed. He said to call AGR tomorrow to see about getting the difference back.
If I hadn’t wanted to be able to choose my roomette, I would have just booked it online.

I just made a reservation for California Zephyr for May 30. I asked the rep if normal dining will be reinstated by then and he said they aren’t saying for sure and to plan on boxed meals.

Your best bet is not to obsess over such things. Nobody knows the answer to the date of return of traditional dining on any LD train. I've heard so many different rumors, theories, guesses, news from "reliable sources" on AU that it makes my head spin. I decided to ignore it all until we get first hand accounts of it actually happening. I think I posted something similar recently but it's worth repeating again, I suppose.

When I rode the SWC from Los Angeles, the Chef overcooked almost everything. Chicken breast was so dry and tough, I finally gave up and only ate about half of it. Scrambled eggs were dry and rubbery.

I've never had bad food made by an Amtrak chef. It's always been to my liking. However, I'm a creature of habit, so I always order the same thing each time I ride. To be honest, I've not had the chicken, but my late mother had the lunchtime chicken salad once and she had the same complaint about it being dry and tough. I always get the cheese omelette and again, never had a bad one done by a chef. I don't know how they can make those rubbery and dry, but I guess rushing through things that can happen.

I can't wait to have the Amtrak "Land and Sea" on the California Zephyr. I'll take the train all the way to San Francisco once full dining is reinstated.

I can't wait to have the Amtrak "Land and Sea" on the California Zephyr. I'll take the train all the way to San Francisco once full dining is reinstated.

It was good, that’s for sure, especially when the “sea” part was six jumbo shrimp! I’ve not had it since they discontinued them though. I just get the steak.

It was good, that’s for sure, especially when the “sea” part was six jumbo shrimp! I’ve not had it since they discontinued them though. I just get the steak.

Oh I only had it when it consisted of a steak and a crab cake. That was a really superb meal and it was nice to dine with other passengers on the train, as I usually travel alone. I always ordered the Land and Sea for dinner and either the Mussels or the Angus Burger for lunch. And all of the breakfast options were good, you couldn't go wrong.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get that menu back.

Oh I only had it when it consisted of a steak and a crab cake. That was a really superb meal and it was nice to dine with other passengers on the train, as I usually travel alone. I always ordered the Land and Sea for dinner and either the Mussels or the Angus Burger for lunch. And all of the breakfast options were good, you couldn't go wrong.

Needless to say, I can't wait to get that menu back.

I travel alone as well and meals with others is one of the highlights of the trip, for sure. I’ve met so many interesting people. On my last trip in February 2020, the lunch menu had “pork wings“. That quickly became one of my favorites. Before that addition, I was an angus burger guy too. I get the cheese omelette for breakfast with croissant and potatoes. All really good stuff!

By the way, here’s a picture of the old land and sea w/ shrimp. I’d already eaten 4 of them (I couldn’t resist!) when I snapped the photo.

18288C06-7FB6-424E-9E70-2E473365437D.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back