Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I like the flowers on the table. Bring'em back along with the china and tablecloths!
Yes, bring on a flower girl. Fresh flowers for tables and rooms. A nice arrangement for each coach: Linen table clothes DONE. Thick plastic plates with/Logo - DONE. Ceramic plates - LATER. Oh, and very good food!

Reactions: Cal
If every one would get the Covid shot we wouldn't have to worry about any of this.
Just go get the shot for pete sake and then this horrid disease will get under control.
It's just that simple.

Totally agree, but I feel bad for people who aren't getting the vaccine. They're the victims of misinformation campaigns by people in power who know better and are lying to them.

Totally agree, but I feel bad for people who aren't getting the vaccine. They're the victims of misinformation campaigns by people in power who know better and are lying to them.
Actually, the people in power seem to be doing a good job of advocating for the vaccine. But in the day of the internet, it's the people who aren't in power who have a voice. That's normally a good thing - but not if they are spreading misinformation about vaccines.

Actually, the people in power seem to be doing a good job of advocating for the vaccine. But in the day of the internet, it's the people who aren't in power who have a voice. That's normally a good thing - but not if they are spreading misinformation about vaccines.
Not all people in power are doing a good job....

I am sad to say I have two sisters and their families who have not gotten the shots yet. They believe Covid is '' just the flu :eek: ''. I have begged and begged them to get the shot and they won't do it. So I haven't seen them or their new grandkids since the virus has been so bad because of my bad lungs and heart. I will stick to my gun's and pray they don't catch it. Some people just can't be pulled off the Stupid Fence Post.

Yes, bring on a flower girl. Fresh flowers for tables and rooms. A nice arrangement for each coach: Linen table clothes DONE. Thick plastic plates with/Logo - DONE. Ceramic plates - LATER. Oh, and very good food!

I always thought this was rather silly. I could go to a Dollar Store and buy flowers for the entire diner for less than $10. Not real flowers but better than a complete removal.

A gentle plea for compassion in our sharing:

For a much larger percentage of the population than people realize, different brain biology (aka neurodiversity) causes things like communal dining to be a nightmare.

Personally, I'm cursed with a neurological condition (misophonia) that makes certain sounds (chewing, crunching and smacking are most common) a living hell to be around. It's not a matter of "tuning it out" - it's how our brains are wired and it can take months or years of therapy most people can't afford to learn adequate coping skills.

Others may be tormented by situations where they are forced to truly interact with strangers as one would be at a 4-person communal table. You never know might be taking a big step by just being on a train journey at all.

It's not a matter of "big boy pants" for many, and an encouraging approach works better for all populations.

Thanks for listening,
Bash (looking forward to room service on my Zephyr trip :) )
Interesting. I have a question that I hope you don't take in any negative way as that is not my intention. Does your own chewing bother you also or just when you hear it from others? I hear my own chewing much louder than other people's chews and have often wondered if others can hear my chewing when it is resounding away within my own head.

Once upon a time, I knew a guy who found whistling and flute-like sounds to be unbearable. Unfortunately, certain people around him were bad enough to deliberately gaslight him by whistling around him in a sneaky fashion (like facing a different direction and in a group of people).

We just returned from a trip that included legs on the Crescent and the CONO. It is clear from the situation in New Orleans and Chicago that the service/hospitality industry is still reeling from changes brought about by Covid. So many restaurants are shut down still, and others are working with short staff, or new inexperienced staff. Even our nice hotel in Chicago had no daily housekeeping, no restaurant, coffee stand operating very limited hours. It is a very tough situation and we realized that our expectations when we travel had to adjust.

This was our first Amtrak trip, so I have no "before" to compare with, but I think that the covid situation must be affecting Amtrak as well. I heard a staffer handling baggage in New Orleans sigh that he "wasn't ready for this." I don't know if they are short staffed, or if it is just a shock to go back to full trains, but all staff seemed to be struggling. Cafe car and dining car on CONO were staffed by one person. I don't know if that's normal, but she was struggling (although with a pleasant, cheerful attitude). Cafe car on the Crescent was closed most of the time, and that lady did NOT have a nice disposition. She was so rude to an elderly gentleman that I almost said something, but I feared it would embarrass him more than she already had.

On the CONO we took our meals in the roomette except for breakfast which they asked us all to take in the dining car. We did not have to share with other passengers as she was able to spread us out. There were no omelettes offered. She was struggling to get the microwavable stuff out.

Reading about the coming return to traditional dining is interesting, and I realize it is not coming to CONO or the Crescent, but it seems like a fantasy world compared to the real dining situation on the ground right now.

There are very few iron clad guarantees in life. Having even a concrete roof over your head does not guarantee that a meteorite won't come crashing through it either.

In my thinking, vaccination, specially of the mRNA variety makes COVID for the vaccinated more or less equivalent to the Flu (I posted some concrete computation to show that a while back), and hence it is probably OK to behave like one did in the presence of the Flu over at least my lifetime. Of course that does not deny the fact that in the non-vaccinated subgroup, COVID is raging almost as badly as it was several months back in the general population. Indeed an overwhelming majority of the COVID case statistics now originates in that group. That also does not deny that there can be a very small percentage of breakthrough infections among the vaccinated, generally quite mild or asymptomatic.
So what is your point? Take no precuations?

So what is your point? Take no precuations?
My! You seem to live in a black and white fantasy world, whereas the real world has all shades of grey. 🤷‍♂️

The point is take appropriate precautions. Do not go overboard. But at the end of the day do what makes you feel comfortable. If hiding under the bed helps your mental health. go for it too. :D Just don't expect everyone else to do so too unless you wish to set yourself up for disappointment and in extreme cases - rage.

CDC actually provides pretty good guidance on what is reasonable at this time.

Last edited:
My! You seem to live in a black and fantasy world, whereas the real world has all shades of grey. 🤷‍♂️

The point is take appropriate precautions. Do not go overboard. But at the end of the day do what makes you feel comfortable. If hiding under the bed helps your mental health. go for it too. :D

Other transportation companies are cognizant of current health issues. Let me cite the current Cunard Line policy for its ships. The point is that some adjustments need to be made because of the pandemic:

"Solo travellers who do not wish to dine independently will have the option to dine with other solo travellers on a socially-distanced table that we will arrange for you on board."

You can find the policy stated in Cunaard's "Sailing with Confidence" website.

Other transportation companies are cognizant of current health issues. Let me cite the current Cunard Line policy for its ships. The point is that some adjustments need to be made because of the pandemic:

"Solo travellers who do not wish to dine independently will have the option to dine with other solo travellers on a socially-distanced table that we will arrange for you on board."

And do the other transportation companies, the airlines, allow you to sit by yourself (aka social distance yourself from others)?

Amtrak was and may still be doing it limiting where people could sit in the diner. They also offered in room service. In fact, they offered in room service before the pandemic.

If you're not comfortable with their policy, then don't take the train.

Reactions: jis

Are you trying to have an argument with what CDC has stated as the current protocol based on something that Cunard has in its policy? Good luck with that. CDC specified protocol does permit the operation of flights with full passenger loads with appropriate precautions, e.g. masking. Take it or leave it.

At the end of the day you don't have to partake in anything that makes you uncomfortable. But that does not mean you get to prevent everyone else from doing what is seen as OK by the CDC.

Last edited:
I always thought this was rather silly. I could go to a Dollar Store and buy flowers for the entire diner for less than $10. Not real flowers but better than a complete removal.
Yep. On my late March trip on the SWC the LSA had put out plastic flowers at all the tables, which led me to believe she was a good LSA. That belief was not true. :(

Interesting. I have a question that I hope you don't take in any negative way as that is not my intention. Does your own chewing bother you also or just when you hear it from others? I hear my own chewing much louder than other people's chews and have often wondered if others can hear my chewing when it is resounding away within my own head.

Once upon a time, I knew a guy who found whistling and flute-like sounds to be unbearable. Unfortunately, certain people around him were bad enough to deliberately gaslight him by whistling around him in a sneaky fashion (like facing a different direction and in a group of people).
Shame on those '' gaslighting people. That's were the word bullies
comes from IMO.

What's with the "bring back the flowers". As I recall, the tables barely had room to hold our place settings, drinks and the condiments. A flower vase just takes up room on the table without providing nutrition. (waiting for the "eat the flower" comments :D )

What's with the "bring back the flowers". As I recall, the tables barely had room to hold our place settings, drinks and the condiments. A flower vase just takes up room on the table without providing nutrition. (waiting for the "eat the flower" comments :D )

I’m pro-flower! EC297904-F7E5-492E-93D7-B610AB4A4D19.jpeg6AA18732-C812-4313-9779-E61663A9A03E.jpeg

You can have your flower, if you remove the condiments (I don't need salad dressings, salt, pepper, sugar/sugar substitutes). :)
I thought there was enough space in that little marked off area by the window for salt and pepper and sugar/sugar substitute and a flower vase. Salad dressing AFAIR were never placed there in the full dining service days. They came separately with the Salad. The business about using a giant basket with everything piled in it was part of the first round of dining service downgrades.

Last edited:
We just returned from a trip that included legs on the Crescent and the CONO. It is clear from the situation in New Orleans and Chicago that the service/hospitality industry is still reeling from changes brought about by Covid. So many restaurants are shut down still, and others are working with short staff, or new inexperienced staff. Even our nice hotel in Chicago had no daily housekeeping, no restaurant, coffee stand operating very limited hours. It is a very tough situation and we realized that our expectations when we travel had to adjust.

This was our first Amtrak trip, so I have no "before" to compare with, but I think that the covid situation must be affecting Amtrak as well. I heard a staffer handling baggage in New Orleans sigh that he "wasn't ready for this." I don't know if they are short staffed, or if it is just a shock to go back to full trains, but all staff seemed to be struggling. Cafe car and dining car on CONO were staffed by one person. I don't know if that's normal, but she was struggling (although with a pleasant, cheerful attitude). Cafe car on the Crescent was closed most of the time, and that lady did NOT have a nice disposition. She was so rude to an elderly gentleman that I almost said something, but I feared it would embarrass him more than she already had.

On the CONO we took our meals in the roomette except for breakfast which they asked us all to take in the dining car. We did not have to share with other passengers as she was able to spread us out. There were no omelettes offered. She was struggling to get the microwavable stuff out.

Reading about the coming return to traditional dining is interesting, and I realize it is not coming to CONO or the Crescent, but it seems like a fantasy world compared to the real dining situation on the ground right now.
It would be helpful if you would pass along your experiences (especially the negative one on board the Crescent) to Amtrak customer service so they are aware of it....Thanks!

I thought there was enough space in that little marked off area by the window for salt and pepper and sugar/sugar substitute and a flower vase. Salad dressing AFAIR were never placed there in the full dining service days. They came separately with the Salad. The business about using a giant basket with everything piled in it was part of the first round of dining service downgrades.

Going back before Amtrak, there were quite a few items on the dinner table in traditional dining cars. The basket never bothered me and I’d rather have that than the 1 tiny package of Heinz ranch dressing (no choice) I got with flex dining.

But, the plastic cups with the cheap bic pens for signing the checks on the western diners did annoy me so we all have our annoyances I guess!

Last edited:
Cafe car on the Crescent was closed most of the time, and that lady did NOT have a nice disposition. She was so rude to an elderly gentleman that I almost said something, but I feared it would embarrass him more than she already had.

I may be all wet in my assumptions here but I was just thinking . . .

I have found the attitude of the dining and cafe car staff just plain unfriendly to outright surly way too often on the Eastern trains. Are these crews mostly based out of New York? I'm going to say it . . . New Yorkers are not the friendliest people on earth.

Reading recent posts, it was said that these employees are making over $40 per hour with everything considered. Add tips to that and most people would think that Amtrak employees would appreciate the job and act accordingly. Now maybe $40+ in New York City isn't that fantastic, but I bet you $40+ is great in Louisiana or Florida.

So if this is the case, maybe Amtrak should consider changing their on-board service employee bases? Don't know if it would be that easy to do but maybe worth the effort. Something needs to be done.

I was under the impression that the Crescent is staffed out of New Orleans.But things have been changing quite a bit since the last time I looked, so it is quite possible I am wrong.
I thought they were out of New Orleans, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back