Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If for some reason they haven't, go to the diner and get one from the LSA.
They are well aware of passengers getting on the train... and accommodate. A good attendant will accommodate meal requests when you board as they greet you.

That said... there are a very few Amtrak employees who provide service above and below that standard of basic expectation. I have had the below expectation experience many times. In that situation just go to the dining car and tell them you just got on. They must accommodate you and know you are entitled to appropriate service as per your ticket.

I'm not happy to report I have been overlooked regardless of attempts to be accommodated with paid services. Sorry to say... tip the customer supportive employees well... and don't tip those who would rather be playing computer games than make your traveling all that you paid to have it be.

Yup... I've seen it all.

I heard on a Facebook group that there’s some talk about possibly trialing business class access to the dining car on the coast starlight. Could this be how they do it? Instead of selling dining car meals for a certain price like before instead sell diner access as “business class” or “first class.”

I heard on a Facebook group that there’s some talk about possibly trialing business class access to the dining car on the coast starlight. Could this be how they do it? Instead of selling dining car meals for a certain price like before instead sell diner access as “business class” or “first class.”
Looks like this was stated at an RPA event yesterday. They outright mentioned the labor shortage in OBS as the reason they have not been able to do more yet. Not sure the full specifics but supposedly at some point in October they hope to launch business class access to the diner on the Starlight.

Last edited:
Also stated that they had a bunch of cars which should be operating but weren't due to shortages of mechanical (car repair/maintenance) employees. This is causing the shortages of cars on the Eastern trains, and contributes to the lack of dining cars in addition to the OBS shortage.

Looks like this was stated at an RPA event yesterday. They outright mentioned the labor shortage in OBS as the reason they have not been able to do more yet. Not sure the full specifics but supposedly at some point in October they hope to launch business class access to the diner on the Starlight.
Booked on the starlight in December. I have a few 48 hour upgrade coupons I hope to use to get to business (they work for that, right?). If it works, I will let y’all know

This would really distinguish business class, which on the Starlight and other LD trains has often seemed otherwise like an expensive version of coach with comparatively few extra amenities.

This would really distinguish business class, which on the Starlight and other LD trains has often seemed otherwise like an expensive version of coach with comparatively few extra amenities.
That's a nice improvement. All you get in BC is water. Is the food complimentary with BC? If so,that will be quite a coup.

Reactions: Cal
That's a nice improvement. All you get in BC is water. Is the food complimentary with BC? If so,that will be quite a coup.
I have a day trip on the CS in late January in Coach. I quickly upgraded to BC in anticipation of diner food and if the food is indeed included,I have a feeling the price will rise.

if the food is indeed included,I have a feeling the price will rise.

I think that is a safe bet. However, access to real dining car service would make the experience worth a significant markup from the coach fare. That said, I do miss the traditional concept of the dining car as a place open to all, regardless of class. But I could understand why Amtrak would structure it this way, given their current situation and constraints.

I think it's a great idea. Most airlines now have "economy plus" on international flights that is more akin to what business class was a few decades ago. Amtrak could benefit from having a step between coach and the bedrooms. Big, comfy seats, more exclusive section of the train, and food/wine, etc.

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...e-extended-to-coast-starlight-business-class/
Trains article on the RPA meeting the other day. When asked about eastern dining it was mentioned that they are working with the vendor that they worked with on the new Acela first menu to come up with options for the eastern trains. They are also looking at the single level dining car kitchens to figure out if modifications could help. Maybe a new re-launched flexible dining that looks more like Acela first?

https://www.trains.com/trn/news-rev...e-extended-to-coast-starlight-business-class/
Trains article on the RPA meeting the other day. When asked about eastern dining it was mentioned that they are working with the vendor that they worked with on the new Acela first menu to come up with options for the eastern trains. They are also looking at the single level dining car kitchens to figure out if modifications could help. Maybe a new re-launched flexible dining that looks more like Acela first?

“because the feedback we have from customers is that we have very repetitive food options."

Wow, thats all they could reasonably say the feedback has been? What a sugarcoat.

Has anyone tried the new Acela menu yet? Is it good?

Last edited:

I love the call center agent explaining the business class amenities: "You'll find out ... when you get on the train."

I can't say this article makes me particularly optimistic about what plan Amtrak will come up with for feeding travelers on the eastern overnights. Something more like the pre-pandemic Acela First meals would be better than what they're offering now, but that's not saying much. The Acela First meals are nicely presented (unlike the flex meals), and they're fine for people taking a trip of three or four or perhaps six hours. But they would leave me feeling quite hungry if I had to eat four or five of them in sequence on a trip of 20-30 hours.

Last edited:
I can't say this article makes me particularly optimistic about what plan Amtrak will come up with for feeding travelers on the eastern overnights. Something more like the pre-pandemic Acela First meals would be better than what they're offering now, but that's not saying much. The Acela First meals are nicely presented (unlike the flex meals), and they're fine for people taking a trip of three or four or perhaps six hours. But they would leave me feeling quite hungry if I had to eat four or five of them in sequence on a trip of 20-30 hours.
Still, wouldn't they be better than flex?

On the Downeaster Business Class you get complimentary non alcoholic beverages plus priority access to the cafe. BC a good deal on the DE as not much more than coach and has comfortable 2+1 seating.

“because the feedback we have from customers is that we have very repetitive food options."

Wow, thats all they could reasonably say the feedback has been? What a sugarcoat.

Has anyone tried the new Acela menu yet? Is it good?
It looks pretty good and I think a couple of the items are ported over from the menu on the western trains like the lobster crab cake - I'm supposed to be trying it in a week - will let you know. They are working with that vendor but that doesn't mean it will be an identical menu to Acela. I'd expect more options. While we'd all love traditional dining on every single train - I'm not sure that's really feasible - remember several trains did NOT have full traditional dining even before contemporary/flex dining showed up. I can only really see the Silver service and maybe Lake Shore considered for all out traditional dining like out west. I can't imagine any situation where a train like the Cardinal and CONO will receive the western style dining. But they do not have to go as far as out west to vastly improve the offerings in the east.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
With the Viewliner II diners it is perfectly feasible. All eastern long distance trains except the Cardinal had full dining. The Lake Shore lost it towards the end due to a shortage of functional Heritage diners. It was chosen because it was one of the shortest LD runs. They ordered sufficient diners to cover all services and intended to return full dining to the Lake Shore until Anderson.

I think they even ordered enough Viewliners to eventually cover the Cardinal.

Unless they deliberately do something stupid with the Viewliner II diners, like gutting the galleys, why do you think it is not feasible? Especially since the Mica Amendment is gone. They have the equipment. They can hire and train crews.

Last edited:
With the Viewliner II diners it is perfectly feasible. All eastern long distance trains except the Cardinal had full dining. The Lake Shore lost it towards the end due to a shortage of functional Heritage diners. It was chosen because it was one of the shortest LD runs. They ordered sufficient diners to cover all services and intended to return full dining to the Lake Shore until Anderson.

I think they even ordered enough Viewliners to eventually cover the Cardinal.

Unless they deliberately do something stupid with the Viewliner II diners, like gutting the galleys, why do you think it is not feasible? Especially since the Mica Amendment is gone. They have the equipment. They can hire and train crews.
Remembering how nice the meal service would sometimes be on the LS 'before Anderson.' Out of BOS there were choices of large prepackaged salads with cold meat if desired... or generously stuffed sandwiches. No doubt these were sourced out or BOS and could be brought back again if vendor is still operating.

Prepackaged meals can be very tasty... as can be seen on YouTube /// amazingly good prepackaged bento boxes perfected in the Orient. Sometimes rather silly and 'cheeky' at times, and high in sodium... check this out... shows the potential of food technology and creativity that could be modified for use with Amtrak...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back