Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And on the LSL, only the Boston to Albany leg, not to NYC
Just to clarify, business class on the Lake Shore is offered between Boston and Chicago in the Boston - Chicago cafe car which has a section for business class seating. Passengers from New York can board the business section at Albany for the trip west of there.

As a mixed blessing, business class passengers on the Lake Shore do not have access to the dining car for flex dining.

At least that is my understanding. Current observations would be welcome.

There used to be 2 to 1 BC on the Cardinal. Why was that removed?
Most likely because it needed a full Dinette, since that was the only food service car, and even Sleeper passengers had to be fed in it, and they did not wish to put in *shudder* two food service cars on the train even if they could leave one unstaffed. Typical Amtrak cut your nose to spite your face management.

Frankly the LSL needs a full length Cafe Car in addition to whatever they wish to use for a BC car.

Most likely because it needed a full Dinette, since that was the only food service car, and even Sleeper passengers had to be fed in it, and they did not wish to put in *shudder* two food service cars on the train even if they could leave one unstaffed. Typical Amtrak cut your nose to spite your face management.

Frankly the LSL needs a full length Cafe Car in addition to whatever they wish to use for a BC car.,
The Cardinal always had a full Dinette, even when they had business class. When I rode business class BAL - CVS in 2016, and sleeper CHI - BAL in 2019, there was a full dinette, and the table seating seating in the 2x1 split bc/cafe car was for the BC passengers. The cafe part was unstaffed, but when I rode BC in 2016, they had laid out cans of soda and a coffee maker for self-service free drinks. If they've changed that, it must be for some other reason.

When coming from LA to Chicago, does the TE passengers have their own din ing car or must you walk through coach to get to the Sunset Limited dining car?

When coming from LA to Chicago, does the TE passengers have their own din ing car or must you walk through coach to get to the Sunset Limited dining car?
In the usual arrangement the Texas Eagle sleeper is on the rear of the Sunset between LA and San Antonio and you walk through the coach or coaches to reach the Sunset dining car and the Sightseer Lounge car. There is no separate dining car for the Texas Eagle sleeper
passengers.

Between San Antonio and Chicago the Texas Eagle sleeper is at the front of the train and you do not walk through the coach to reach the meal service car (whatever it is called) and of course you don't have to worry about how to reach the Sightseer lounge car because there is none.

The Texas Eagle cars from LA to SAS are on the rear of the train and are part of the Sunset consist. You have to walk through the train to get to the diner.

Auto Train is getting new menus starting today. Basically they are replacing the current Auto Train sleeper dinner menu to match what's being served on the western long distance trains. The Auto Train café menu is also being refreshed.
Yay! Source?

I guess might be old news but I’m on the Northbound Coast Starlight in the diner this evening for the 7.30 seating and they just brought in 3 tables from business class. $45 for the evening three course including your alcoholic drink. Looks like you pay it there at the table. Still no communal dining…seems odd sitting by a a table by myself in a dining car.

I guess might be old news but I’m on the Northbound Coast Starlight in the diner this evening for the 7.30 seating and they just brought in 3 tables from business class. $45 for the evening three course including your alcoholic drink. Looks like you pay it there at the table. Still no communal dining…seems odd sitting by a a table by myself in a dining car.
From an ambiance point of view, the $45 is a bargain. What restaurant would offer you the kind of constantly changing scenery as you dine?
From a service point of view, it is a tossup whether the meal is worth $45 or $5 as the service is so inconsistent albeit my experience on traditional dining is that the majority of the servers are helpful, friendly and outgoing with great skills.
From a food point of view, the $45 includes the appetizer, entree, salad and dessert as well as the drink. Where I live, that might be a little high but for most places, it would be reasonable and for some, it is a bargain.

Yes service was nice and food was very good. I am on a short hop from Salinas to Emeryville, to connect with the CZ in the morning. In a roomette for 160$ I think. Business class was 69 + 45 for the dinner so 114$ So
had I known that dinner could be had, I would have taken business but it isn’t a huge difference. So if dinner is 45$ I wonder what bfast and lunch is?

Was on the Starlight Martinez - Los Angeles on Wednesday. Not my first trip - but the views are so good - every time is the first time.

There are very, very few restaurants with views that approach this train. The food is pretty good - but the views are spectacular.
My parents rode "The Most Beautiful Train In America" on their honeymoon in January, 1946. My dad had been to San Francisco from Portland several times and to Los Angeles on the Coast Line at least once but my mother had never been out of Oregon and Washington. It was a memorable trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back