Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
combined heat power, but I think my original idea of showing how steam is often used in AC (although in a different manner than rail) is dragging us further off topic...my apologies

Yes, it finally looks like Amtrak will stop going from pillar to post after the infrastructure bill passed. Will be we get the Cardinal and Sunset running daily? Saw a cost comparison some years ago that said daily trains would increase ridership and decrease red ink. Now, if only they would put back full dining service on the on the "one nighter" trains.

Yes, it finally looks like Amtrak will stop going from pillar to post after the infrastructure bill passed. Will be we get the Cardinal and Sunset running daily? Saw a cost comparison some years ago that said daily trains would increase ridership and decrease red ink. Now, if only they would put back full dining service on the on the "one nighter" trains.
The Infrastructure Bill covers the cost of getting additional equipment and such, but not the cost of operations. That comes from authorized appropriations, which also have better numbers than before in the specified authorizations in the Bill. But they have to be appropriated each year.

And of course negotiating a deal with UP and CSX is something else altogether.

The Infrastructure Bill covers the cost of getting additional equipment and such, but not the cost of operations. That comes from authorized appropriations, which also have better numbers than before in the specified authorizations in the Bill. But they have to be appropriated each year.

And of course negotiating a deal with UP and CSX is something else altogether.
It should also be noted that in the 2009 "studies" for the North Coast Hiawatha, Pioneer and daily Sunset it was assumed that new Superliners would need to be built. That would safely add seven to ten more years before anything could happen and open the possibility of a change in policy that would kill the improvements.

We often compare Amtrak Dining with First Class Air, and in my opinion it is a worthy point of comparison - although they are vastly different products.

On my recent Delta flight LAX-MSP last Saturday (11:45am departure) - they served a tasty but unremarkable cold sandwich with a bag of chips and a cookie. Of course, alcoholic beverages were available if I wanted them.

This morning I saw this tweet from Wingin’ It Paul, who is on a 4 1/2 hour United flight in First. He’ll be cross country on Amtrak later in his US itinerary. Included in that tweet was the attached photo of the “breakfast” he was provided. As bad as Flex/Contemporary has been (and it’s been really bad) - at least gummy bears and popcorn weren’t breakfast staples!

Paul’s tweet:

1636378774942.png

This morning I saw this tweet from Wingin’ It Paul, who is on a 4 1/2 hour United flight in First. He’ll be cross country on Amtrak later in his US itinerary. Included in that tweet was the attached photo of the “breakfast” he was provided. As bad as Flex/Contemporary has been (and it’s been really bad) - at least gummy bears and popcorn weren’t breakfast staples!
Wow how things have changed. I can recall in the 1970's flying Northeast Airlines from Boston to Philadelphia and getting a full breakfast with omelet and sausage, in coach yet.

We often compare Amtrak Dining with First Class Air, and in my opinion it is a worthy point of comparison - although they are vastly different products.

On my recent Delta flight LAX-MSP last Saturday (11:45am departure) - they served a tasty but unremarkable cold sandwich with a bag of chips and a cookie. Of course, alcoholic beverages were available if I wanted them.

Paul’s tweet:

View attachment 25395

What route?

Wow how things have changed. I can recall in the 1970's flying Northeast Airlines from Boston to Philadelphia and getting a full breakfast with omelet and sausage, in coach yet.

Well in the 1970s the airlines were regulated so they could afford to compete on amenities. Nowadays, especially with the advent of internet ticket booking, airlines compete on price and frequency and it is a race to the bottom. As I have been told, flying pre-deregulation was relatively expensive compared to today and the demographic was somewhat different. I have a grandmother who (by God is still living in her 90s) who graduated high school in 1941 and had a notion to become a flight attendant. Mentioned to me that in the early days of flying at least one stewardess on the flight was a nurse. I generally only fly First if I am going overseas at night or once I did from Charlotte to Phoenix direct because the last minute upgrade fee was small. Even then it certainly wasn't because of the food. I ate what I could simply because I didn't want to be too famished after 8 hours in flight but it was strictly to tide me over. Overnights the upgrade is almost strict to get a sleeper bed, like on a train.

Well in the 1970s the airlines were regulated so they could afford to compete on amenities. Nowadays, especially with the advent of internet ticket booking, airlines compete on price and frequency and it is a race to the bottom.

Back in the good old days, the routes and fares were so highly regulated the airlines were forced to compete on amenities. On the other hand, the competition was also regulated, too, so it's not like the airlines were looking over their shoulders fearful of some aggressive upstart carrier. Also, deregulation and the "race to the bottom" started in the early 1980s, long before there was internet ticket booking.

Also, deregulation and the "race to the bottom" started in the early 1980s, long before there was internet ticket booking.
I remember some very enjoyable coach flights in the early 1980's but by the end of the decade service levels were pretty bad. Then there was a sort of renaissance in the 1990's with the last few years of the decade being a good mix of low prices and reasonable service. The 2000's introduced us to the TSA and ULCC that made travel miserable for many and led to a much more aggressive race to a much deeper bottom. So far the 2020's are not looking that great with major service reductions across the board but hopefully travel standards will continue to improve as the pandemic subsides and the economy recovers.

Getting back to the food. I am on the CONO and trying the newer flex offerings. The beef short ribs are decent,probably the best of the flex choices and the french toast this morning was a bit rubbery,but edible. A far cry from the traditional french toast I had on the EB in September. Pre covid and flex,the food wasn't that great to begin with on the CONO so this is a step up.

Grabbed a bedroom at a cheaper rate than a roomette. Bedroom had one low bucket left. The price difference at low bucket is only $66. Wish it wasn't $300 to $500 more on every other train. You can get spoiled. Just wish my budget could afford it..

Getting back to the food. I am on the CONO and trying the newer flex offerings. The beef short ribs are decent,probably the best of the flex choices and the french toast this morning was a bit rubbery,but edible. A far cry from the traditional french toast I had on the EB in September. Pre covid and flex,the food wasn't that great to begin with on the CONO so this is a step up.

Grabbed a bedroom at a cheaper rate than a roomette. Bedroom had one low bucket left. The price difference at low bucket is only $66. Wish it wasn't $300 to $500 more on every other train. You can get spoiled. Just wish my budget could afford it..

What is the CONO and I wonder what the onboard bedroom upgrade typically is. If its open do they expect you to pay the exact differential that you would if you just bought the ticket fresh?

What is the CONO and I wonder what the onboard bedroom upgrade typically is. If its open do they expect you to pay the exact differential that you would if you just bought the ticket fresh?
The CONO is the abbreviation for the City of New Orleans.Once onboard the difference would be no different than booking online. Sadly,upgrading once you board does not give you any discount. I happened to find my low fare checking my departure date after I booked a roomette. Luckily, I found a $367 low bucket bedroom,senior and grabbed it.

You can find the fares on the AMTRAK website. Be warned - the fares can change minute by minute according to availability and time to train departure. You can check a fare today, and it may change until you actually pay for it.

If you decide to upgrade onboard and are fortunate enough to find space available, you will pay the exact fare you would have paid if ticketed earlier between the same two points.

Amtrak charges two fares - Transportation, or Railfare (butt in seat). If you desire upgrade, you pay an Accommodation fare in addition. Accommodation fare is paid once, e.g., if you are traveling with someone, you pay the Accommodation fare once, and both of you are entitled to First CLass privileges, including the "meals", access to First Class lounges in the stations..

Interesting though popped into my head... Let's say I buy a coach ticket CHI-DAL. Then I decide to try to upgrade from STL-DAL. I haven't tested this, but I think you would pay a cheaper accommodation fare if you didn't get into the First Class until STL. Makes sense, tho.

CONO = City of New Orleans - Chicago to New Orleans. Leaves Chicago at 20:05. Arrives New Orleans 15:47. (Leaves New Orleans 15:45 Arrives CHI 09:15). Three day a week train. Nice train, but treated like the redheaded stepchild like the Eagle and the Cardinal.

Last trip report on YouTube said they were still serving the FLEX slop. (Redundant, I know, sorry).

One YouTuber wrote of getting an excellent sandwich meal from one of the legendary shops near Union station and enjoying it on the train as he left. My suggestion is to enjoy a sumptuous meal at The Italian Village near Chicago Union Station, then board the train.

I would do breakfast and lunch in the cafe car, avoiding the slop.

You can find the fares on the AMTRAK website. Be warned - the fares can change minute by minute according to availability and time to train departure. You can check a fare today, and it may change until you actually pay for it.

If you decide to upgrade onboard and are fortunate enough to find space available, you will pay the exact fare you would have paid if ticketed earlier between the same two points.

Amtrak charges two fares - Transportation, or Railfare (butt in seat). If you desire upgrade, you pay an Accommodation fare in addition. Accommodation fare is paid once, e.g., if you are traveling with someone, you pay the Accommodation fare once, and both of you are entitled to First CLass privileges, including the "meals", access to First Class lounges in the stations..

Interesting though popped into my head... Let's say I buy a coach ticket CHI-DAL. Then I decide to try to upgrade from STL-DAL. I haven't tested this, but I think you would pay a cheaper accommodation fare if you didn't get into the First Class until STL. Makes sense, tho.

CONO = City of New Orleans - Chicago to New Orleans. Leaves Chicago at 20:05. Arrives New Orleans 15:47. (Leaves New Orleans 15:45 Arrives CHI 09:15). Three day a week train. Nice train, but treated like the redheaded stepchild like the Eagle and the Cardinal.

Last trip report on YouTube said they were still serving the FLEX slop. (Redundant, I know, sorry).

One YouTuber wrote of getting an excellent sandwich meal from one of the legendary shops near Union station and enjoying it on the train as he left. My suggestion is to enjoy a sumptuous meal at The Italian Village near Chicago Union Station, then board the train.

I would do breakfast and lunch in the cafe car, avoiding the slop.
The CONO is a daily train. I had a deep dish pizza at Guardinos on W Jackson yesterday afternoon before boarding the CONO. Sometimes I ll get a sub fron Jersey Mikes at Union Station. Both are better than any flex meal.

Reactions: Cal
The CONO is a daily train. I had a deep dish pizza at Guardinos on W Jackson yesterday afternoon before boarding the CONO. Sometimes I ll get a sub fron Jersey Mikes at Union Station. Both are better than any flex meal.

Is CONO daily now? GREAT! I was referring to an older timetable.

Our last trip a couple of weeks ago from CHI-DAL we had a Giordano's Deep Dish. Excellent choice!

I forget the name of the sandwich joint to which the guy referred in his YouTube trip report. It seemed special to him.
Chicago has S-O-O-O-O many great eateries, like New Orleans, it is hard to make a choice...

deregulation and the "race to the bottom" started in the early 1980s, long before there was internet ticket booking.

There will be those that disagree with me, but deregulation of the airlines was the most disappointing thing that has happened in my lifetime regarding the quality and the pleasure of traveling. Deregulation has led airlines become the "Greyhound of the Skies" and is now helping to provide a more affordable means of transportation so that the "jerks of the world" can now fly, insult and assault flight crews and fellow passengers when "they don't get to do whatever it is they want to do".

There will be those that disagree with me, but deregulation of the airlines was the most disappointing thing that has happened in my lifetime regarding the quality and the pleasure of traveling. Deregulation has led airlines become the "Greyhound of the Skies" and is now helping to provide a more affordable means of transportation so that the "jerks of the world" can now fly, insult and assault flight crews and fellow passengers when "they don't get to do whatever it is they want to do".
Hallelujah! Spent 46 years in it from 1969 to 2015 in one aspect or another. Done passenger and cargo airlines. Ticket agent, gate, bag smasher up flight attendant (steward/stewardess back in the early days). Pickup/delivery of freight to loading aircraft. That is why I hate flying today. My next flight will always be Amtrak!1636510501634.png

Oh, I agree with you 100% I regularly flew from the east coast to Chicago while I was in college during the period 1972 - 1976. I started flying for work trips in 1979, mostly out to Denver. Sometime around 1981 or so, I noticed that the vibe at Stapleton was becoming more like that of the Greyhound station than an airport. It really hit me around 1986 or 1987 when Frank Lorenzo's Continental Airlines got the government contract for the BWI - DEN city pair. I had 3 horrible flights all in a row. Not just lousy service and inadequate food, but also mechanical problems with the planes, including a flight aborted about 20 minutes after take-off. Nothing like circling around in an apparently mechanically compromised plane for a while burning off fuel so we could land, that doesn't give any anxiety, oh no. The final straw, though, was the pretty much universal elimination of meal service on even coast-to-coast flights and the fact that practically every flight (with a very few exceptions) I've been on in the last 15 or 20 years has been on an aircraft packed full of passengers. Charging for checked luggage is also another thing that degrades the flying experience, but even on Southwest, where the fares include checked luggage, everybody wants to bring their suitcases on board, clogging up the overhead bin space and making boarding and deplaning much more unpleasant. I can deal with some of this hassle for a 2 or 3 hour flight, but for coast to coast....ugh.

back when I was a little girl, I loved riding the bus,it was an adventure as it stopped at different bus stations to get food. Overnight on the bus at that time was awesome

Many years ago, I did a RT overnight bus trip from Columbus, Ohio to New York City on Trailways Golden Eagle service. Food service, an attendant, pillows distributed, reclining seats with a foot rest (maybe a leg rest as well), and a decent restroom aboard. It was an interesting experience. But, I prefer Amtrak (or as rail travel was at that time).

Many years ago, I did a RT overnight bus trip from Columbus, Ohio to New York City on Trailways Golden Eagle service. Food service, an attendant, pillows distributed, reclining seats with a foot rest (maybe a leg rest as well), and a decent restroom aboard. It was an interesting experience. But, I prefer Amtrak (or as rail travel was at that time).
Interesting. I wonder what that food service was like.

Here in Maine Concord Coach has daily trips from Portland to New York City where they serve drinks and snacks, although I believe it is self service, I don't think there is an attendant (never used it myself).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back