Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many years ago, I did a RT overnight bus trip from Columbus, Ohio to New York City on Trailways Golden Eagle service. Food service, an attendant, pillows distributed, reclining seats with a foot rest (maybe a leg rest as well), and a decent restroom aboard. It was an interesting experience. But, I prefer Amtrak (or as rail travel was at that time).
I rode the Trailways Five Star Golden Eagle Service from LA to Philly back in’62. Those amenities really made for a comfortable trip. Not as good as the train but less expensive I think.

Is Covid over? No more masks? Nobody dying? Nobody being hospitalized? :)

As far as Covid is concerned, flex meals have no relationship to them. They were implemented before Covid so to be accurate, the current ones are better than the ones in December 2019 (my first experience) and for some period before then. They kept the garbage well into the second year of Covid and it still exists in many cases. The only thing about them and Covid is that Amtrak instituted bringing more garbage to your room than what they took away.

Thank you once again for reminding me why I take many months away from AU at a time, and enjoy it. :D

PM me if you'd like to continue this chat, because I'm done with this forum.

Here is the current Downeaster Cafe menu, the offerings were scaled back due to COVID, but it retains a number of local and regional foods. The Downeaster service is funded by the Northern New England Rail Passenger Authority, Amtrak is the contracted operator. Schedules, Cafe Offerings, and the like are decided by the local authority, not Amtrak.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/routes/Downeaster-Cafe-Menu-2020.pdf

Here is the current Downeaster Cafe menu, the offerings were scaled back due to COVID, but it retains a number of local and regional foods. The Downeaster service is funded by the Northern New England Rail Passenger Authority, Amtrak is the contracted operator. Schedules, Cafe Offerings, and the like are decided by the local authority, not Amtrak.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/routes/Downeaster-Cafe-Menu-2020.pdf

Thanks for the update. I omitted part of my earlier post.
I couldn’t find menu rev date. In October 2020 I found the cafe car was closed but you could order from your seat. In June 2021 I found the cafe car was opened again

Since the value of the dining experience would be reduced (significantly IMHO) by not being seated in the diner and having to eat at one's seat, there needs to be an alternative. Possibly a portion of the cost refunded if there are no available diner seats is one possibility. I can't imagine walking into any restaurant charging those prices and having already paid for my meal and have the manager tell me that they are full so I'll have to take my meal home and eat it. Also, Amtrak needs to dramatically increase their food reliability. Again, if I've paid for a meal and x entree is unavailable or they have run out of desserts (like on our return trip last Sunday), Amtrak will only drive potential business away. Their inability to provide sufficient product for their diners and cafes is well known in this forum. To make it worse by charging one in advance and not being able to deliver is downright criminal. Remember, this is not a unique thing but something that seems to happen regularly on Amtrak.
Hopefully after COVID this will be less of an issue.

I think the loophole is that an introduction was made, the passenger(s) were don't asked to sit there without a choice. It may be a while before we get back to Amtrak seating people together as a matter of form if ever. I think we may end up with a hybrid of people will be given the option or can eat in their rooms. Sitting alone on a first come first serve basis. I was asked for a dining appointment when I was on the Star Tuesday even though there were only 3 booths taken including myself. I am ready to mingle but I understand others are in different positions.
They did it for a short while this past summer when traditional dining first came back before Delta started becoming a big thing. They would ask you before your first meal if you were ok with communal - and they appeared to set aside some tables for those who said no. I said yes and was seated the traditional communal way all my meals.

It’s great that you agreed to do so, as it really helps out your diner crew, but….they are going against Amtrak policy, and this should not be expected.
On our recent trip west on the CZ I was surprised to see them doing this. One couple politely refused and they were totally fine with it, while another couple welcomed a single diner. It does seem quite counter to the very clear warnings about what happens to the "problem child" who repeatedly is caught not wearing a mask. While I really love eating with strangers, the possible consequences are really too dire for me to agree to this at this time. It's too bad.

Covid had no effect on this issue. Running out of food is an Amtrak specialty.
Was referring to table reservations being unavailable I should have shortened the quote. With COVID they aren't doing communal seating which limits the amount of reservations - which makes it more likely they'll run out and people will have to eat at their seat.

I'm wondering if the much-vaunted supply shortages/increase prices are gonna hit Amtrak. The last time I rode (very late July), they had two or three meals (of the not-very-extensive-already list) crossed off as unavailable - this was for a train originating in Chicago, so no one had had dinner before I got on.

I'm a bit of a picky eater and I hope I don't find a menu selection of two: "take it" or "leave it" on any of my upcoming trips, I guess I try to at least take some granola bars and dry fruit in case. (I don't have enough luggage allowance for a cooler - get on at a station without checked bag service, so I have a suitcase, a carry on, and my purse and that's already a lot to carry)

I'm wondering if the much-vaunted supply shortages/increase prices are gonna hit Amtrak. The last time I rode (very late July), they had two or three meals (of the not-very-extensive-already list) crossed off as unavailable - this was for a train originating in Chicago, so no one had had dinner before I got on.

I'm a bit of a picky eater and I hope I don't find a menu selection of two: "take it" or "leave it" on any of my upcoming trips, I guess I try to at least take some granola bars and dry fruit in case. (I don't have enough luggage allowance for a cooler - get on at a station without checked bag service, so I have a suitcase, a carry on, and my purse and that's already a lot to carry)
As I mentioned, Amtrak has a history of not loading sufficient items on their trains. Hard to believe when you know well in advance in nearly every case what the passenger load will be. You also leave money on the table when you don't have enough for coach passengers. Rampant incompetence was not caused by Covid.

Praise should be given when due - food on SWC with trad dining recently was generally quite good.

I didn't order it as mushrooms are about the 1 vegetable I just really don't care for, but I did try the roasted chicken breast with mushroom sauce and it was good (not too mushroomy either). Chicken was tender and a good portion. Wish I could source the chicken for my own cooking! I heard another passenger raving about it too. 3 others in my travel party enjoyed their food as well. Vegan chili was good as well, I'm wondering what type of meat substitute they used.

Reactions: Cal
When are we gonna get this on the Crescent? I’m waiting patiently. Also I know this might be in another thread that I can’t find but will Crescent ever get new sleepers, coach cars, etc

Also I know this might be in another thread that I can’t find but will Crescent ever get new sleepers, coach cars, etc
Crescent already has the same Coach cars that the other Eastern LDs have. Anything newer than that is at least ten years away. Crescent is unlikely to get all new Sleepers. It might get one new Sleeper at some point.

As I mentioned, Amtrak has a history of not loading sufficient items on their trains. Hard to believe when you know well in advance in nearly every case what the passenger load will be. You also leave money on the table when you don't have enough for coach passengers. Rampant incompetence was not caused by Covid.

It's poor planning when the SWC runs out of small bottles of one type of wine before the end of the first night's dinner out of Los Angeles.

It's poor planning when the SWC runs out of small bottles of one type of wine before the end of the first night's dinner out of Los Angeles.
Sort of like the Diner running out of items during the first Dinner setting upon leaving Chicago. I've had this happen numerous times on the Eagle,the Zephyr,the Chief,the Builder, the Cap and the CONO (when it still served real food!)

Sort of like the Diner running out of items during the first Dinner setting upon leaving Chicago. I've had this happen numerous times on the Eagle,the Zephyr,the Chief,the Builder, the Cap and the CONO (when it still served real food!)

An imaginary conversation between the LSA and the Conductor, then between the Conductor and the Engineer:

LSA: Mr. Conductor, we need to make a grocery stop when the train passes through city X. There is a grocery store next to the tracks.

Conductor: I'll contact our Engineer.

Conductor: Mr. Engineer, there is a grocery store in city X next to the tracks. Please make a stop there so that our LSA can make a grocery run and replenish the dining car's supplies.

Engineer: Will do. Ask the LSA to pick up a bag of potato chips for me. I need a snack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back