Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I have no recollection of reading any comments in this forum, I am curious as to how well (or not so well) is food service being handled on the Silver Star these days--with a consist of five sleepers with the Star and Meteor combined??

Though I have no recollection of reading any comments in this forum, I am curious as to how well (or not so well) is food service being handled on the Silver Star these days--with a consist of five sleepers with the Star and Meteor combined??
I have traveled on the Super Star several times, and had no complaints about food service such as it is. I generally ate in the Diner, but I have also had food in my room. The SCAs generally take the order either for room delivery or for getting the food ready in the Diner for a specific seating. Breakfast is of course go whenever you want in the morning or have it delivered to your room.

There are two service people in the Kitchen, and orders placed are generally delivered at the time at which delivery was promised. Of course it is all Flex meal, but they seem to be prepared a little better than at some other trains, if that is possible. I have also generally had good SCAs worthy of bonus tips so far.

I will be on the Super Star later today headed to New York from Orlando, at the beginning of my third round trip on it.

For me, socialization -- or at least the opportunity for same -- is a BIG reason why I choose train travel. Since Covid, I've avoided trains not so much about health concerns (tho I have some) but because the possibilities for meeting and conversing with a diversity of folks has been nearly flat. I can be alone at home or in my car, for almost free! So if socialization is once again the norm, I'm making plans for a bucket-list type of 2023 or 2024 rail journey in both the US (lower 48 plus Alaska) and Canada! Between travel and off-train activities I see it taking at least five weeks and costing a small fortune. That's what buckets are for!

Perhaps a little off point but I might add, in my opinion, the advent and popularity of cell phones and similar devices have made us all a "rude" society!
I doubt that having access to a phone made them rude but perhaps being raised on a phone by exhausted parents made them rude. First we weakened our intergenerational bonds by creating the nuclear family unit. Then we sent both parents to work full time jobs. How are we surprised by the result?

♫ And the cat's in the cradle and the silver spoon. Little boy blue and the man in the moon. "When you coming home, dad?" I don't know when... But we'll get together then. You know we'll have a good time then. ♫

I have traveled on the Super Star several times, and had no complaints about food service such as it is. I generally ate in the Diner, but I have also had food in my room. The SCAs generally take the order either for room delivery or for getting the food ready in the Diner for a specific seating. Breakfast is of course go whenever you want in the morning or have it delivered to your room.

There are two service people in the Kitchen, and orders placed are generally delivered at the time at which delivery was promised. Of course it is all Flex meal, but they seem to be prepared a little better than at some other trains, if that is possible. I have also generally had good SCAs worthy of bonus tips so far.

I will be on the Super Star later today headed to New York from Orlando, at the beginning of my third round trip on it.
Thanks!--jis--for your prompt reply. I am anxious to travel on the Super Star--having lived on the Space Coast and Daytona Beach for 34 years before moving back to Georgia. All my travels these days are on the Crescent. Many, many miles on the Silvers in the 1970's, 80's 90's. Perhaps a good time to drive over to Savannah or Jacksonville and board there just for a trip.

We've been on the Zephyr, and the Empire Builder a few times, as I'm fond of Seattle.

I enjoy meeting new people at table, only once was it somewhat of a drag because of a young lady who wouldn't even look at us, she was so buried in her cellphone. It really was a turnoff when she proceeded to eat with a fork in one hand and still had the cell going in the other. But I have to say we've never had a tablemate that prompted us to move elsewhere.

We've met all kinds though, nice people, indifferent ones, and - some real characters. It seems to me the Empire Builder is the one that attracts the characters but it's these that have been the most interesting and entertaining. Of course, I've not been on nearly as many train trips as some of you.

I enjoy the trains immensely, I just hope that Amtrak can get the crew problems worked out soon, with regard to the service issues.

You see nothing wrong with choosing to sit at a communal table while ignoring everyone around you? I'm no social butterfly, and I often find small talk tedious and boring, but I'm still aware of some basic social norms. If I sit down at a communal table in a beer garden then a bit of social interaction is expected. If I do not want any interaction then it's on me to choose another option rather than forcing my isolation onto other people. Why should Amtrak be different?
I’ll be polite and greet my fellow diners….but outside of that, I’m going to excuse myself and go back to my book. I’m not trying to be rude, I’m just introverted like that. 🙂

Personally, I don't have a very sparkling personality, and I'm not good at small talk. At times, I've tried to initiate a conversation in the diner unsuccessfully. At other times, others at the table have struck up a lively conversation, and my attempts to join in have been mostly ignored. So I just retreat.

So why would I want to eat in the diner rather than my room?
  • I want my meal hot & fresh (or dessert cold & fresh)
  • I may want condiments which the SCA would not bring
  • I may want a refill on my drink
  • I may want a cup of coffee with my dessert
  • I may want to enjoy the view out both sides of the train
  • I enjoy the ambience and activity in the diner
  • I don't want the lingering aroma of my meal in my room
  • The fold-out tables are small and often unsteady
IMO, I have as much right to eat in the diner as anyone else in a sleeper, even if I'm not socially outgoing or a splendid conversationalist, and even if I choose to focus on my tablet.

Two memorable and pleasant dining car experiences when sharing a table with others was on the Silver Meteor and the Empire Builder.

On the Meteor, i was seated with a Father and his 3 sons. En route to Orlando for a Disney World vacation and this was the boys' first train ride, the boys were excited. The gentleman and I had a pleasant conversation about a variety of topics with Son #1 and #2 asking questions or making a comment occasionally. They were in Coach and upon learning that I was in a Sleeper, the Father asked if they could see my Roomette. At that time, I did not think that was allowed and told him so. Which, he accepted. Food was good; service was good. It was a pleasant dinner.

On the Empire Builder out of Seattle, a gentleman was seated with me whose job was working in the oil fields of North Dakota. He was returning to his job after a days off. We had a very interesting conversation and I learned much about his job and the work taking place in those oil fields. Food and service was good. Another very pleasant Amtrak dinner.

There have been some fascinating conversations on the EB... was talking with two just married in their very early 20's a few years ago... just after leaving Fargo. Asked what they did... they said they were retired... a large fracking company had bought out a large farm they'd inherited and were going out to see the world... with $4 million in their pockets. Oh my... wonder what became of them!

Had a 'down to earth conversation' more recently with a couple from the Gary IN area while heading east on the CZ. After our first encounter we met frequently during the trip... exchanged addresses... and have become good friends; now I hope to visit them sometime soon... very rare to make long term friendships on the train, but when it happens it is very special! 😊

1) I don't think that the implied contract you have with Amtrak when you buy a train ticket involves passengers being sociable at the dining table. The only reason they did community seating in the first place was to fill the tables to allow the maximum number of passengers to be served. I used to eat in the dining car of the Merchants Limited back in 1975, and while we had community seating, there weren't any long dinner-table conversations. You didn't even have any conversations with the waiter, as you, the customer was the one who filled out your order. Of course, I ordered, was served, ate, and paid for dinner in the time it took the train to go from Trenton to Newark. (Admittedly, the trains were a bit slower back then.)

2) The level of service you may get in the dining car could very well depend on how full the train is. This may be especially true now that the dining car is staffed with only 1 or 2 people. I got excellent service for my flex meals when I last rode the Cardinal back in 2019, but there were only 12 people riding the sleeper that night. (Of course, the food quality was another issue. :) ) I can only imagine what the Super Star is like during peak periods with 5 sold-out sleepers, and the same two dining car staff. This may also explain why "rules" seem to change. When the limited staff is swamped with work, it's not possible to provide personalized service and take care of all the other customers, too.

The moral of the story might be to avoid traveling during peak periods, at least in the short term.

If "dining memories" are on-topic here...I had one particularly pleasant and memorable dinner aboard the Capitol Limited out of Chicago for Washington, DC in May of 2012. (Well, that was the plan...due to a track work window and a freight train delay caused by a suicide up the line we were bustituted out of Pittsburgh.) I was traveling with my #2 nephew and #3 niece, ages 12 and 9 at the time, sharing a bedroom (kids on the lower, me in the upper). For dinner the three of us were seated with a schoolteacher traveling alone. She spoke with the kids out of professional interest; they were both home-schooled as all of their six siblings have been (they do attend a structured 1-day a week classroom session; the rest of the time is home study and projects). The teacher was impressed that both of the kids were able to rattle off details of ancient history and literature.

We ended up having a very pleasant week-long stay in DC; my mother flew out to meet us and she and the kids toured while I attended a conference. I think the highlight of the trip (for the kids) was the International Spy Museum.

Dining and socializing patterns vary... on the NEC the pace is quicker and more business like. Many of the travelers use the train because it is the most efficient way to get from point A to point B.

But on the CZ, the CS, and other LD trains known for the scenery... the purpose of travel is more festive and vacation like [with exceptions of course] which brings more relaxed ambience in the dining cars.

If you want to go from CHI to SFO it's quicker and cheaper to get a bargain on a low cost airline; getting to the destination may be a burden... but again... quick and cheap. What I'm trying to say is that there is more of a desire to meet others and share the experience. Forever the adage... 'There's nothing quite like a train!'

Dining and other services need management oversight. IMO oversight cannot take place until new PERMANENT members of the board are nominated and approved. Amtrak has 5 persons that know their jobs are soon to end with loss of pay. They are all going to be looking for new employment when they are scheduled for board "non meetings".
So, we have no wolf to keep the 5 foxes in check. The foxes are being well fed so no need to keep the mice in check. The mice are feeding off all the grain, so the hens cannot get enough to eat. The chickens then are fighting each other for what grain is left.

Does anyone have any insight into if/when traditional dining may be brought back on the Texas Eagle between Chicago and San Antonio?

What you're describing makes perfect sense coming from a neighbor in coach or a compartment across the hall. They had little or no control over ending up next to you and have nowhere more private to go. What I fail to understand is why someone needing to recharge would choose to drag their desire for privacy into the most public part of the train. Why not simply eat alone and leave that spot for someone who wants to visit with others?

If I'm traveling alone that will be exactly what happens, happy to dine in my room or seat. But there are different considerations for singles, couples, and groups of 3 or 4. If you have 4 people it's a no brainer to take your meals in the diner. Couples and singles should probably count on having tablemates - single people tying up a table for 4 for a long time is just plain inconsiderate - but you know, count me along those who don't expect conversation that is forced. There's been a couple of fun conversations over the years but mostly it's like being at work and I don't think there's anything wrong with reading a book or device, if that 's more relaxing for the person. Our family of 3 has always been told in no uncertain terms, "There WILL be a 4th person with you." This comes true about half the time. Most of the time the person hasn't been overly eager to chat either, and we can go either way. We vacation together to spend time with each other, including meals, so if we get a table for ourselves it's a bonus. If we don't, it's for a short time anyway.

Assigned table seating presents a wide variety of possibilities.

If everyone at the table is a single, than conversation can go in any direction... I've always experienced some kind of positive interchanges.

A single at a table with a couple... usually there is some conversation between both parties. IMHO when there is no conversation it can be awkward and somewhat unpleasant.

A single at at table with a party of three... for me this is the least desired... especially if the three are in conversation with each other and don't acknowledge the presence of that 4th person. This is where I've experienced the most adverse situations... when the connected party doesn't like another person being present and intruding on their personal discussion.

Two certainties... one doesn't know the 'tablescape' until they sit down. And if there is a problem, and it is dining by reservation, one can request meal be placed in white bag to go.

A final thought... My preference is to have dinner in my room... and eat in the diner for breakfast and lunch when things are more casual.

Just my personal opinions and experiences... always interested in knowing of other points of view.

IMO, I have as much right to eat in the diner as anyone else in a sleeper, even if I'm not socially outgoing or a splendid conversationalist, and even if I choose to focus on my tablet.
Thank you for your feedback.

Maybe I'm misreading it but sounds like you're okay with interacting, and would respond if someone included you, but if you're left alone then you're satisfied focusing on your own thoughts and interests. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. The people I'm talking about are the folks who refuse to make eye contact, say little or nothing in response to anything around them, and act like they're seated alone. It's not about judging who has the right to participate or deciding who should be excluded so much as wondering what motivates people to act this way. You've certainly given me several possibilities to consider. The interesting thing about meeting people on Amtrak is the wide breadth of travelers who are unlikely to associate with each other anywhere else. It might be rather enlightening if an Amtrak diner was included as part of a legitimate social interaction study (as opposed to reality television).

Last edited:
Personally, I don't have a very sparkling personality, and I'm not good at small talk. At times, I've tried to initiate a conversation in the diner unsuccessfully. At other times, others at the table have struck up a lively conversation, and my attempts to join in have been mostly ignored. So I just retreat.

PAX should get what they have paid for and have every right to be assertive. Forced community seating isn't right... perhaps appropriate for grammar school lunchroom... but not for adults on a train. There should be a choice for meal seating.

But Amtrak doesn't have the facilities to allow open seating... especially at dinner time when most want to eat in the dining car. Since meals are included in the fare, everyone wants all the meals.

In trains elseware in the world, where food is not included, not all sleeper pax patronize the diner. Where food is included it is served in the private rooms with the options to order food in the dining car.

I do wish there was a dining plan choice... because for some of us, three rich meals a day is more that needed or wanted; that would bring down the fare as well. Options allow the freedom of choosing what is desired.

This has been discussed on many threads going way way back but Amtrak isn't listening.

I don’t have any direct insights but my prediction for dining is the following: that they will return traditional dining on the Silvers and Lake Shore in the traditional form with separate dining/cafe cars like out west. On the Eagle, CONO, Capitol Limited, Crescent, and Cardinal it will remain some type of split sleeper dining/cafe arrangement. They have posted chefs for Charlotte so maybe we shall find out soon what things will look like. Amtrak has in the past referenced exploring the VL2 diner as a single food service car and the Crescent and Cardinal would seem to be the logical choices to implement that on.

Dining and other services need management oversight. IMO oversight cannot take place until new PERMANENT members of the board are nominated and approved. Amtrak has 5 persons that know their jobs are soon to end with loss of pay. They are all going to be looking for new employment when they are scheduled for board "non meetings".
So, we have no wolf to keep the 5 foxes in check. The foxes are being well fed so no need to keep the mice in check. The mice are feeding off all the grain, so the hens cannot get enough to eat. The chickens then are fighting each other for what grain is left.
Don’t get your hopes up. There was a Trains article on the nominations Biden made today, and it looks like a bunch of political payback with no relevant experience, and not much representation outside of the Northeast.

For instance, there’s an urban housing person and an AFL/CIO person on there.. That reeks of political payback more than qualifications for nomination to a supposedly important transportation post.

On the surface, it looks like new board, more of the same.

How disappointing. But if Biden has proven anything, it’s that he’s a career politician. He doesn’t know any other way.

Thank you for your feedback.

Maybe I'm misreading it but sounds like you're okay with interacting, and would respond if someone included you, but if you're left alone then you're satisfied focusing on your own thoughts and interests. That sounds pretty reasonable to me. The people I'm talking about are the folks who refuse to make eye contact, say little or nothing in response to anything around them, and act like they're seated alone. It's not about judging who has the right to participate or deciding who should be excluded so much as wondering what motivates people to act this way. You've certainly given me several possibilities to consider. The interesting thing about meeting people on Amtrak is the wide breadth of travelers who are unlikely to associate with each other anywhere else. It might be rather enlightening if an Amtrak diner was included as part of a legitimate social interaction study (as opposed to reality television).
Totally agree. I am also introverted, but I wouldn't ignore other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back