Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They should have given you wine which they usually have at the cafe car. No doubt you've been wronged; when the Attendant said there wasn't any wine, they may have not considered the cafe?
My observations would indicate that cafe inventory is separate and cannot be shared. When I was recently on the Pacific Surfliner in business class they were “out” of bottled water but I could purchase it in the cafe. Which I did.

I too was on the CONO this past week from Chicago to New Orleans and back in a bedroom (in the sleeper car).

We were supposed to have FLEX dining. Not only did we NOT have a dining car either way--there was NO Amtrak food loaded onto the trains before departure for the sleeper cars either southbound or northbound.

On Southbound trip : We were offered a breakfast sandwich or a muffin for breakfast from the cafe car. For lunch we received a boxed sub, chips, and cookie from a deli in Mississippi they brought in on a stop.

Northbound several days later we departed mid afternoon and flex dining menus were personally handed out to each room by an attendant going through the sleeper as we were departing NOLA.
Well that was an OOPS! Another attendant shortly thereafter came around and said SORRY-- NO supper was loaded onto the train so we will stop and get subs from the same Mississippi deli place as before. I asked for a glass of wine for dinner with my sub. Was told it wasn't available.
For breakfast it was the same muffin or breakfast sandwich offering--which we didn't even bother with.

That's not what I wanted or planned to eat.

I paid for flex dining with a menu --which was not provided. I will plan to contact customer service about this and request a refund for food and services not provided.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of situation?
Unfortunately this is becoming common place on Amtrak LD Trains,there's no excuse for this Sorry situation. 🤬

You're due Big refund since you didn't get what you paid for!? ( aka Bait and Switch)

Amtrak has CCCs and Diners, SIghtseer Lounges and Sleepers/Transdorms sitting in Yards, they need to be used as intended, not as Axle Count Cars and Yard Queens!

Unfortunately this is becoming common place on Amtrak LD Trains,there's no excuse for this Sorry situation. 🤬

You're due Big refund since you didn't get what you paid for!? ( aka Bait and Switch)

Amtrak has CCCs and Diners, SIghtseer Lounges and Sleepers/Transdorms sitting in Yards, they need to be used as intended, not as Axle Count Cars and Yard Queens!
But why is this so common on the CONO more so other LD's?

Pick whatever language you prefer but when I worked in a public facing position the term "bait and switch" had a serious connotation that shut down most communication and was interpreted as a threat to sue. I'm not sure how Amtrak staff would respond but they might stop talking to you at that point.

Pick whatever language you prefer but when I worked in a public facing position the term "bait and switch" had a serious connotation that shut down most communication and was interpreted as a threat to sue. I'm not sure how Amtrak staff would respond but they might stop talking to you at that point.
Yeah, I'd save that, especially for anything written. Saying "It felt like..." in a phone conversation is probably okay because there's more context.

But why is this so common on the CONO more so other LD's?
My suspicion is that Amtrak, faced with shortages, is sacrificing service on some of the long-distance trains (Capitol Limited, CONO, Texas Eagle) in order to ensure sufficient equipment staff for the more favored trains (CZ, SWC, Sunset, Coast Starlight, Empire Builder), although even those trains have had their challenges, too.

I've never had a flex meal so can't compare. The subs were from McAlister's. We had two sub choices--turkey and ham with cheese and maybe a couple veggies--didn't really check carefully. They were ok--didn't like that on the SB trip the turkey meat was room temperature when I ate it. I wondered how long the sandwiches were out of refrigeration. The NB trip the turkey meat was colder, so felt more comfortable eating that. I did not get sick from them, so they were safe to eat. The chips were not to my liking--there were various kinds of spicier chips. I and my companions got jalapeno potato chips. Didn't like and didn't eat them. The cookie was choc chip and it was ok.
Subs are not offered on the Flex dining menu. I wanted to choose off the dining menu. Those choices were more to my liking.

Well I find this interesting: I went to the Amtrak page where it explains Flexible Dining and it appears the CONO menu was removed. Other train menus remain listed. The CONO menu was listed just before we left for our trip because I read it.
Ideas on why it was removed from the Amtrak page?

Follow up-- just checked the Amtrak CONO page and the flexible dining menu is still posted there.

I've never had a flex meal so can't compare. The subs were from McAlister's. We had two sub choices--turkey and ham with cheese and maybe a couple veggies--didn't really check carefully. They were ok--didn't like that on the SB trip the turkey meat was room temperature when I ate it. I wondered how long the sandwiches were out of refrigeration. The NB trip the turkey meat was colder, so felt more comfortable eating that. I did not get sick from them, so they were safe to eat. The chips were not to my liking--there were various kinds of spicier chips. I and my companions got jalapeno potato chips. Didn't like and didn't eat them. The cookie was choc chip and it was ok.
Subs are not offered on the Flex dining menu. I wanted to choose off the dining menu. Those choices were more to my liking.
Thanks for the info. Looking to ride this train in the fall (although not finding much availability). Personally I'd rather get that sub than any of the Flex options. Keep in mind, too, that the choices on the Flex menu might not be available even if they did board the meals - that happens often. Even if you were able to choose and got your preferred option, can I just say that you will get a weeks worth of sodium and additives in the flex meal which will make it tasty but might throw you out of whack for the next day or two. Well, 20 years ago it wouldn't have bothered me, a bit different today. It's microwaved processed food, and if they are getting rid of the dinner option on the CONO out of Chicago, might be for the best as there are plenty of places to get better food all around the area.

Michigan Mom--Right--probably a lot of sodium and other preservatives for sure. I admit I am spoiled with traditional dining on the long distance trains to California. Maybe you can consider heading out that way for your next trip! Ha. Except that I'm reading of sleeper accomodations to California being cancelled at the last minute. Not good!

Thanks for the info. Looking to ride this train in the fall (although not finding much availability). Personally I'd rather get that sub than any of the Flex options. Keep in mind, too, that the choices on the Flex menu might not be available even if they did board the meals - that happens often. Even if you were able to choose and got your preferred option, can I just say that you will get a weeks worth of sodium and additives in the flex meal which will make it tasty but might throw you out of whack for the next day or two. Well, 20 years ago it wouldn't have bothered me, a bit different today. It's microwaved processed food, and if they are getting rid of the dinner option on the CONO out of Chicago, might be for the best as there are plenty of places to get better food all around the area.
The kosher meal option is my personal choice; the entre is kind-a bland but additional role, pastry, and salad is a little better than flex. Sorry folks... I'm just burned out on flex... after so many of them... to me they're tasteless and monotonous.

All these meals have generous quantities of sodium, fat, sugar, and very little taste. Meh:confused:

Just wondering: If the hubby and I were to take the CONO southbound, we'd probably board it in Kankakee (1st stop S of Chicago?). If dinner were being served immediately after departure from Chicago, would passengers boarding at Kankakee still be able to eat dinner, or should they plan to eat before boarding?

I've read you need to board by 8:30 pm to get dinner. I could be wrong, but from what I've read, those passengers who board the CONO in Chicago only do get dinner since boarding is earlier than that.

Well-nix that! The timeable for the CONO has changed at least temporarily due to track work starting this week, so departure times for the next couple months will vary.
Check out the Amtrak CONO page for details.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about processed deli meat being out of refrigeration for a few hours, as they are so loaded with preservatives that the pathogenic bacteria don't have a chance. :) This assumes that there's no mayonnaise on the sandwich, but a true cheapo deli would provide the mayo in a sealed squeeze packet, anyway, to be added by the customer.

When we went camping if we made a pot of stew and couldn't eat it all, we just tied the pot up in a tree (to keep the critters away from it), and would eat it in the morning for breakfast. Hunters often hand up freshly killed meat without refrigeration to age and tenderize it. Refrigeration is sometimes overrated as a health measure.

Just wondering: If the hubby and I were to take the CONO southbound, we'd probably board it in Kankakee (1st stop S of Chicago?). If dinner were being served immediately after departure from Chicago, would passengers boarding at Kankakee still be able to eat dinner, or should they plan to eat before boarding?
According to the Amtrak web page you must board by 8:30pm and since you will be boarding at 9:23pm most likely not; however it doesn't hurt to ask when you board... to see just how 'flexible' flex dining is! 😁

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 7.34.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 7.37.57 AM.png

According to the Amtrak web page you must board by 8:30pm and since you will be boarding at 9:23pm most likely not; however it doesn't hurt to ask when you board... to see just how 'flexible' flex dining is! 😁

View attachment 29239

View attachment 29240
Thanks for finding the timetable for that route! The hubby is an "early-to-bed/early-to-rise" type, so I suspect he'd be strongly in favor of eating supper in Kankakee before the CONO arrives, and going straight to bed in our bedroom or roomette once we'd boarded. At least we already know plenty of restaurants in Kankakee that we enjoy eating at!

Thanks for finding the timetable for that route! The hubby is an "early-to-bed/early-to-rise" type, so I suspect he'd be strongly in favor of eating supper in Kankakee before the CONO arrives, and going straight to bed in our bedroom or roomette once we'd boarded. At least we already know plenty of restaurants in Kankakee that we enjoy eating at!
From personal experience with overnight accommodations I have found it is best to eat earlier to allow for digesting and a better sleep. The next morning comes with beautiful scenery as you get closer to NOL. Have a great trip!

We boarded in Homewood-one stop before Kankakee--and no mention of dinner to us. (Although I didn't even ask. Had dinner at Aurelios down the street instead--my absolute favorite pizza of all time--and I miss it living in MI.)
There's a Monical's Pizza not too far from the train station in Kankakee, as well as a Wendy's for a quick meal. (Essential when we'd make a round trip by car to daughter's college W of Galesburg, then have to hustle to get the son on the Saluki back down to law school at SIU-Carbondale!) Or if we come to Kankakee a few hours early, there's plenty of slightly farther-away restaurants (and places to pick up train snacks for the carry-ons).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back