Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The City of New Orleans breakfast and lunch menus are not appropriate for that price point: $527 for a one-way trip (for a trip on September 15). American Airlines can do the same trip in first class for as low as $401 and at least the drinks selection is better, and unlimited.

Do I get just a dinner or a dinner and breakfast ?
I am on the Cardinal #50 departing Windy at 5:55pm and arriving Huntington WV 7:00am -
I am and my partner are in Roomettes - for sure a dinner is in order and there would be
time for a breakfast if the diner is open around 6am -
Back to my question is a breakfast included ?

There's a new Flex menu up, dated 8/22. The only change I can find is at breakfast, where Railroad French Toast has been replaced by Buttermilk Pancakes. Now, IMO, frozen microwaved pancakes can be fairly decent, if they're properly stored & prepared, but we'll see whether Amtrak is up to the task.

Attachments

• Flexible-Dining-Menu-0822.pdf
    102.8 KB · Views: 0
Do I get just a dinner or a dinner and breakfast ?
I am on the Cardinal #50 departing Windy at 5:55pm and arriving Huntington WV 7:00am -
I am and my partner are in Roomettes - for sure a dinner is in order and there would be
time for a breakfast if the diner is open around 6am -
Back to my question is a breakfast included ?
I doubt Breakfast will start before 630, but possibly.

Now that Amtrak has Coca Cola as a supplier. Does anyone know if they serve Coke Zero in the dining or cafe cars?

I remember picking one up in a cafe car on the NER recently. I prefer Diet Pepsi in general, but Coke Zero works. According to my taste buds, Diet Coke is just vile.
I usually can't taste the difference between diet colas myself. Diet cola of any variety has been expensive at the local supermarket lately, so I've been trying these weird fruity flavors of diet Mountain Dew. (Couldn't stand the taste of regular Mountain Dew, but the new fruity varieties are surprisingly OK. I don't expect to see them in either the dining car or cafe car on Amtrak, though.)

I don't drink much soda as an adult but I used to love Sanpellegrino Pompelmo before they changed the recipe. I also love the nostalgia of the commissary version of Minute Maid Cran-Apple Cocktail (goes great with club soda and vodka). If I'm bringing my own sodas I might pack Squirt, 7-Up, or global Coke.*

* Often called "Mexican Coke" despite the fact that nearly every other country still uses actual sugar and that the American versions of Coke and Coke Zero are banned in several countries.

I remember the "old coke", in glass bottles, available at service stations. It was in a red, refrigerated bin and ice cold. Really good. And with real sugar. Maybe not healthy but great on a really hot summer day. The station had a rack set up to accept empty bottles for recycling.

I wonder if Amtrak could have refrigerator cars for food storage. A passenger could select meals when booking, beforehand, by computer, smart phone, at the station, etc. All 3 meals while aboard. Then load the meals in the refrigerator car early each morning at major stops. At meal time, the kitchen staff could use a convection oven (not microwave) for fast thawing. It would eliminate food waste and the kitchen staff could mainly be used to distribute the food to passengers. Maybe a "pick up" window could be used.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please keep your comments on the topic of Amtrak Dining

Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes they gave us a submarine, chip, and cookie lunch box from a deli in Jackson MS -twice. SB is was for lunch and NB is was for dinner. They also said we could have a breakfast sandwich/muffin from the cafe both mornings.
But I didn't want that--I wanted the Sleeper car menu and food that I choose. I wanted a glass of wine. (Attendant said there wasn't any.) It wasn't what we paid for. And I paid a LOT--for our sleeper accomodations.
And I do know flex dining is mediocre at best. We had such a great experience on the SW Chief with their traditional dining. Getting subs from a deli isn't my definition of the dining experience we paid for--even though it was flex dining.
I've had flex meals and I'd a sub & chips over them anyday.

I remember the "old coke", in glass bottles, available at service stations. It was in a red, refrigerated bin and ice cold. Really good. And with real sugar. Maybe not healthy but great on a really hot summer day. The station had a rack set up to accept empty bottles for recycling.

I wonder if Amtrak could have refrigerator cars for food storage. A passenger could select meals when booking, beforehand, by computer, smart phone, at the station, etc. All 3 meals while aboard. Then load the meals in the refrigerator car early each morning at major stops. At meal time, the kitchen staff could use a convection oven (not microwave) for fast thawing. It would eliminate food waste and the kitchen staff could mainly be used to distribute the food to passengers. Maybe a "pick up" window could be used.
It doesn't even need to be an entire car. As much empty space as there is in the bags, a bank of refrigerators can be kept in there.

On the train that I’m on- and for which I paid over $500 for a roomette for an approximately 600-mile trip:

The Flexible Dining menus in the room (printed on 8 1/2”x11” copier paper) were old, and none of the lunch/dinner entrees that I had wanted were available. The menu on the Amtrak website is also old and outdated.

The items that I ordered will be just as good, but…

How many things wrong are there with that situation?

On the train that I’m on- and for which I paid over $500 for a roomette for an approximately 600-mile trip:

The Flexible Dining menus in the room (printed on 8 1/2”x11” copier paper) were old, and none of the lunch/dinner entrees that I had wanted were available. The menu on the Amtrak website is also old and outdated.

The items that I ordered will be just as good, but…

How many things wrong are there with that situation?
Did you board near the end of the train's run? Still,paying that kind of money and you cannot even get what you wanted...and to top it off it's flex food!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back