Amtrak Dream Routes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you ask me for one new route, I'd like to see a Texas to East Coast service that does not require the long detour via Chicago. Something on the lines of-

Dallas -> Shreveport -> Birmingham -> Atlanta -> Charlotte -> Washington DC

OR

Dallas -> Little Rock -> Memphis -> Nashville -> Knoxville -> Roanoke -> Charlottesville -> Washington DC

The second route might end up slower but scenic, cutting right across the Appalachians, something like the Cardinal route, and since there is already work in progress towards extending Charlottesville service to Roanoke, and some feasibility surveys undertaken to consider its extension all the way to Knoxville and Nashville too, it would be great to extend it all the way into Texas as an LD route. It would connect at Dallas or Fort Worth with Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited thereby giving an east coast to west coast route that bypasses Chicago.

Also, pigs would fly.
Ahhh - reminds me of ol' Kay Bailey Hutchinson's dream to start the Crescent Star! Yes - as mentioned in a previous post, it would probably not carry that name any more. LOL. The routing was similar - but the plan was to utilize the KCS route out of Dallas to pick up NE Dallas, Greenville, Sulphur Springs, then Shreveport, Monroe, Meridian, Birmingham.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dream route would be Miami to Chicago via Savannah. I would prefer Knoxville to Nashville in Tennessee, but if it gets to Chatanooga, that'd be good enough for me.

My dream route? Anything that connects New Hampshire/Maine with the rest of the network without having to change from BON to BOS.
unsure.gif

Next choice - a route that is entirely along the Canadian Border (or at least as close as possible) - maybe call it the "Northern Light" or something like that. Have it combine a little bit of the LSL with a little bit of the EB, and add in both peninsulas of Michigan and a route along northern New York State.

South Dakota had fairly limited passenger trains even before Amtrak. Most of the rail lines were freight orientated. The major transcons were built to the north across North Dakota or to the south across Nebraska, Kansas and Texas. Of course Wyoming has Union Pacific's main line, but UP was very anti Amtrak from Day # 1. As of May 1, 1971, the only UP route to have Amtrak on it was Denver - Borie - Ogden and that was because the DRG&W didn't join Amtrak. UP had quite a few passenger trains on April 30, 1971.
South Dakota's last intercity passenger train was discontinued in 1969, two years before Amtrak ... I think among the 48 contiguous states, only South Dakota, New Hampshire, and Vermont were without intercity passenger trains immediately before the establishment of Amtrak.

The state actually does have a couple of transcontinental routes running through it, though, including the former route of the Milwaukee Road's "Olympian Hiawatha." If I got to play king, that's the route I would resurrect ... though admittedly it would require re-laying a few hundred miles of now-abandoned track further west in Montana, Idaho, and Washington. :rolleyes: As a compromise, it would be fine with me if they just used the remaining portions of the "Olympian" route across South Dakota, and then switched to the old "North Coast Limited" route the rest of the way to Seattle. :)

If you ask me for one new route, I'd like to see a Texas to East Coast service that does not require the long detour via Chicago. Something on the lines of-

Yes, and on to New York! The KCS ex ICRR route between Meridian and Shreveport could be much faster now than ever in the past. I believe that it now has signals throughout. Since it is near straight across Louisiana that would equal quite a bit of 79 mph running, although you would probably have to buy KCS a few long sidings with #20 turnouts both to make KCS happy and to give you reliability. Schedule should be either two nights one day, or two days one night, or better yet both. A train on the Crescent route that gave a reasonable morning arrival at Charlotte southbound and New York northbound would be nice to have with or without anything going west of Atlanta. This one is not really in the "When pigs fly" category. While doing this, it would also be doable to break out a Houston section at Shreveport, or maybe at Monroe from which it would go via Alexandria LA and Lake Charles.

Dallas -> Little Rock -> Memphis -> Nashville -> Knoxville -> Roanoke -> Charlottesville -> Washington DC
The second route might end up slower but scenic, cutting right across the Appalachians, something like the Cardinal route, and since there is already work in progress towards extending Charlottesville service to Roanoke, and some feasibility surveys undertaken to consider its extension all the way to Knoxville and Nashville too, it would be great to extend it all the way into Texas as an LD route. It would connect at Dallas or Fort Worth with Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited thereby giving an east coast to west coast route that bypasses Chicago.
Alas, this route is, at least west of Roanoke well into the "When pigs fly" category much as I would love to see it happen. The through route between Knoxville and Nashville no longer exists, and when it did it was slower than going between them via Chattanooga. That time was 6 hours at best, by the way. The former NC&StL route between Nashville and Memphis no longer exists, either, although a through line is still in place, but no longer via Jackson TN. Again slow. The best time was something like 5 to 5 1/2 hours and the "good" through day train dissapeared in 1957 at which time I-40 consisted only of about 12 miles of a dirt moving job. The best ever Knoxville - Memphis time was 10 hours via the current NS route across northern Alabama. If you want to go through nashville, then the best would be around 13 to 14 hours. You can drive it in about 7 hours without pushing at all.

If a cooperative Union Pacific gets out of the "when pigs fly" category, a Minneapolis - Des Moines - Kansas City - Dallas - San Antonio train having car swaps with the Soutwest Chief at Kansas City would be make for some great connectivity.

Crescent Star!

Pat of Warrington's plan for a disguised freight rail network. Actually appeared in timetables but never implemented.
Whoa! There actually was a train proposed with this routing? I had no idea, I simply picked out the route seeing a map!
Yup!

There were actually improvements made to station in Meridian in preparation for splitting the Crescent in half, such that one half would go to New Orleans while the other half went due west to Dallas.

Before it actually ran however, Warrington's world was collapsing around him as it was becoming clear that Amtrak wasn't on the glide-path to being self-sufficient like he was claiming; but instead gliding into bankruptcy.

Then cooler heads prevailed and stopped it, because Amtrak simply didn't have enough equipment to be able to run that train. A few accidents made the shortage of equipment even worse, making it impossible to put enough equipment on the road.

Picking one train out to want, personally? I'd want to see either the NPN leg of the Riley re-established on a daily basis (i.e. NPN-RVR-CVS-CIN-CHI) or a through leg NFK-RVR-LYH-ROA-CIN-CHI. Yeah, basically I want either the George Washington or the Powhatan Arrow back so I've got a direct link west.
If you want it to go from Norfolk and through Lynchburg, it would not hit RVR, at least I think not. At Petersburg instead of going on to the CSX track it would keep going straight on through to Lynchburg. It seems that Richmond would be out of the way.
I think there's enough intermediate business to be had both NFK-RVR and RVR-LYH/ROA that you'd be hard-pressed to skip Richmond, even if you end up only hitting RVM or doing some otherwise-silly-looking push-pull move (i.e. running backwards NFK-RVR/RVM). This is one of those cases that the ideal train routing is likely to get overridden by the size of the involved markets surrounding Richmond.

Mind you, NPN-RVM-RVR-LYH-ROA (basically blending the NPN corridor operation with the TDX plans) would also make sense as a hybrid, as would NFK-RVR-CVS-CIN (basically hybriding the new Norfolk service onto the Riley).

Alas, this route is, at least west of Roanoke well into the "When pigs fly" category much as I would love to see it happen. The through route between Knoxville and Nashville no longer exists, and when it did it was slower than going between them via Chattanooga. That time was 6 hours at best, by the way. The former NC&StL route between Nashville and Memphis no longer exists, either, although a through line is still in place, but no longer via Jackson TN. Again slow. ...
However, the NS Crescent Corridor map shows a route from Memphis to Huntsville AL to Chattanooga to Knoxville to Roanoke. If NS has provided capital to fix up that route, it does over the possibility of someday using it for a passenger train. Huntsville AL is certainly a much bigger metro area population wise than it was in the 1970s. No idea what the trip times might be from Memphis to Knoxville over the NS tracks.

Although VA would need to pay for extending passenger service from Lynchburg to Roanoke and probably to Bristol so that much of the route is deemed suitable for passenger trains and VA has paid for the stations. Still have the long run from Memphis to Huntsville to TN where a lot of money would be needed to pay for stations. However, if

1. Virginia does someday fund the Trans-Dominion eXpress to Bristol, VA/TN and TN decides they are willing to to pay for a long corridor day train to start at Knoxville to WAS.

2. Texas funds a Dallas-FW to Shreveport corridor train.

That would open possibilities for a Dallas-FW to NYP LD train which would fill in a major gap across the south in the LD network. Not likely to happen unless both Georgia and Texas decide they are serious about corridor train service networks centered on Atlanta and Dallas-FW. Very long term play.

Picking one train out to want, personally? I'd want to see either the NPN leg of the Riley re-established on a daily basis (i.e. NPN-RVR-CVS-CIN-CHI) or a through leg NFK-RVR-LYH-ROA-CIN-CHI. Yeah, basically I want either the George Washington or the Powhatan Arrow back so I've got a direct link west.
With the dome car that used to run frequently there for awhile!!

Alas, this route is, at least west of Roanoke well into the "When pigs fly" category much as I would love to see it happen. The through route between Knoxville and Nashville no longer exists, and when it did it was slower than going between them via Chattanooga. That time was 6 hours at best, by the way. The former NC&StL route between Nashville and Memphis no longer exists, either, although a through line is still in place, but no longer via Jackson TN. Again slow. ...
However, the NS Crescent Corridor map shows a route from Memphis to Huntsville AL to Chattanooga to Knoxville to Roanoke. If NS has provided capital to fix up that route, it does over the possibility of someday using it for a passenger train. Huntsville AL is certainly a much bigger metro area population wise than it was in the 1970s. No idea what the trip times might be from Memphis to Knoxville over the NS tracks.

Although VA would need to pay for extending passenger service from Lynchburg to Roanoke and probably to Bristol so that much of the route is deemed suitable for passenger trains and VA has paid for the stations. Still have the long run from Memphis to Huntsville to TN where a lot of money would be needed to pay for stations. However, if

1. Virginia does someday fund the Trans-Dominion eXpress to Bristol, VA/TN and TN decides they are willing to to pay for a long corridor day train to start at Knoxville to WAS.

That would open possibilities for a Dallas-FW to NYP LD train which would fill in a major gap across the south in the LD network. Not likely to happen unless both Georgia and Texas decide they are serious about corridor train service networks centered on Atlanta and Dallas-FW. Very long term play.
Having ridden almost all this route at various times in the past, I can say that the issue is not track condition, but alignment geometry. It might be possible to squeeze about 30 minutes out of Memphis to Chattanooga with a 79 mph speed limit, but for the rest of it, unless someone is paying for major realignments, the run times as they were in the late 1950's are as good as you are getting. Actually, not that good, as superelevation in curves has been reduced due to the high center of gravity in piggyback and doublestacks.

The passenger speed limit in Southern Railway days was 70 mph between Memphis and Chattanooga and 80 mph between there and Bristol. The 80 mph was meaningless as when you strung together the speed restrictions due to curves a few miles at 65 mph was as good as it got. Let's also not forget that Bristol to Knoxville was 130 mph by rail and is 110 miles by road.

Having ridden almost all this route at various times in the past, I can say that the issue is not track condition, but alignment geometry. It might be possible to squeeze about 30 minutes out of Memphis to Chattanooga with a 79 mph speed limit, but for the rest of it, unless someone is paying for major realignments, the run times as they were in the late 1950's are as good as you are getting. Actually, not that good, as superelevation in curves has been reduced due to the high center of gravity in piggyback and doublestacks.

The passenger speed limit in Southern Railway days was 70 mph between Memphis and Chattanooga and 80 mph between there and Bristol. The 80 mph was meaningless as when you strung together the speed restrictions due to curves a few miles at 65 mph was as good as it got. Let's also not forget that Bristol to Knoxville was 130 mph by rail and is 110 miles by road.
I'm not gonna lie...the TDX just /screams/ "bad train" in its currently proposed form.

The TDX extension to Bristol has always struck me as a bit of a "misfire". Bristol isn't big enough to support the back end of that train (you'd likely get more business out of Christiansburg/Blacksburg with Tech than you would from Bristol), and the alignment to Knoxville is a basket case. Unless the plan is to get a serious corridor service going in TN as well (in which case you might be able to get a boost from through traffic), you're going to probably have a train that does very well until the Roanoke area and then bleeds red ink further south. Honestly, if there's a plan to extend to Bristol, I think TN needs to "pre-commit" to running through to Knoxville on a reasonable timetable as well as agree to take a decent share of the (almost inevitable) Knoxville-Roanoke losses.

Likewise, the Richmond truncation of the TDX seems like a lost opportunity...depending on the timing, you could slip Hampton Roads a set of cross-platform connections both NB and SB while running the train west (offering yet more through connections; even if the trains "pass in the night", so to speak, a cross-platform conection at CVS would sure be nice, and failing that, getting together with WV to try and work something out on the old N&W route through the state would be nice as well). Mind you, I know that such probably wouldn't be too much better than the situation heading to Bristol/Knoxville...but I /am/ inclined to think that something set up to go through to the west is likely to work out better than something aimed at what for the present would seem to be a dead end in a small city in SW VA.

Even NPN/NFK-ROA would strike me as a worthwhile project, if for no other reason than Hampton Roads-Richmond and Richmond-Lynchburg/Roanoke would likely be worthwhile rail markets (especially if you can set things up so that the train interfaces with the Carolinian or Palmetto to offer a "reverse" option LYH/ROA-WAS/NYP if one can't be worked out on the NS mainline).

Crescent Star!

Pat of Warrington's plan for a disguised freight rail network. Actually appeared in timetables but never implemented.
I could be wrong, but I don't think the Crescent Star ever made it into a published timetable like the additional New York/Philadelphia - Chicago train did.

Crescent Star!

I could be wrong, but I don't think the Crescent Star ever made it into a published timetable like the additional New York/Philadelphia - Chicago train did.

Awww... I swear I saw it before somewhere, in addition to the Skyline connection. That's too bad.

Extend the Pere Marquette TO Marquette, MI.

CHI to GRR as it is now, and then north to Big Rapids (FSU), Cadillac (with a bus to Traverse City, Charlevoix, and Petoskey), Gaylord, and Mackinaw City.

Then, they'd have to build a train bridge across the Straits. That's the big issue. The Mackinac Bridge cost a pretty penny; I can't imagine the cost of a train bridge.

Once across the Straits, stop in Sault Ste Marie (LSSU), Newberry (Tahquamenon Falls), Munising (Pictured Rocks), Marquette (NMU), Houghton/Hancock (Michigan Tech), and finally Copper Harbor.

It would be a tourist's dream come true, especially when the fall colors are at their peak.

Additionally, I could use Amtrak to visit my family. :)

-=-

If the bridge to cross the Straits is an issue, they could always run from Chicago to Copper Harbor (through Wisconsin), stopping at Green Bay, Escanaba, Marquette, and Houghton/Hancock along the way. The other branch could run from Chicago to GRR through northern Michigan as I planned above, ending in Mackinaw City. The Chicago to Copper Harbor route would be the Pere Marquette, and the Chicago to Mackinaw City route would be the Peninsular.

I would add service in overwhelmingly large markets that are not served by passenger rail service today. Based on comparing airline passenger counts, 3 routes should be added-

1. LA - Las Vegas

2. Houston - Dallas

3. Chicago - Atlanta - Orlando/Miami

With the Midwest Horizon/Amfleet coaches being replaced by the new bilevels coming in, these routes could be run with single-level equipment. Chicago - Florida could be a series of connected corridors (Chicago - Nashville, Nashville - Atlanta, Atlanta - Jacksonville, etc.). It's too bad the states would not fund the subsidies for these types of services though.

I'm not gonna lie...the TDX just /screams/ "bad train" in its currently proposed form.
The TDX extension to Bristol has always struck me as a bit of a "misfire". Bristol isn't big enough to support the back end of that train (you'd likely get more business out of Christiansburg/Blacksburg with Tech than you would from Bristol), and the alignment to Knoxville is a basket case. Unless the plan is to get a serious corridor service going in TN as well (in which case you might be able to get a boost from through traffic), you're going to probably have a train that does very well until the Roanoke area and then bleeds red ink further south. Honestly, if there's a plan to extend to Bristol, I think TN needs to "pre-commit" to running through to Knoxville on a reasonable timetable as well as agree to take a decent share of the (almost inevitable) Knoxville-Roanoke losses.
Last I heard the reanalysis of the entension of service beyond Roanoke to Bristol done by/for the state of Virginia showed it to be essentially hopeless. I think the idea is dead. it should be with things as they are. As said, it is not a track condition issue at all, and so far as I know, not a capacity issue, either.

If Tennessee should get the urge to spend money on rail service, there are other places that make far more sense. Extending one of the Illinois trains to Memphis so that there would be a daylight train to Chicago would be fairly easy and cheap and probably have fairly good ridership. This would seem to be the ideal starting point.

Did I miss it or did no one mention Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati? And perhaps on to Louisville and Nashville.....

The former three could be politically easy as it would only involve the commitment of one state with Amtrak....

Did I miss it or did no one mention Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati? And perhaps on to Louisville and Nashville.....

The former three could be politically easy as it would only involve the commitment of one state with Amtrak....
Politically easy? Yes. The problem that I see, at least with listing that as #1 on any list, is bad connectivity...most notably, there's no good way to get from that train to/from CHI at present. The connectivity heading east is more workable (virtually any train on that run will connect to/from the Cap and the LSL with an eastern origination/destination in mind), but WB...there's a lot to be desired. Even EB isn't great because of the transfer times, but there's a difference between "inconvenient" and "awful".

Throw in a later train WB to CHI and an earlier one out of CHI to CLE and I'm sold. Ditto if you throw something CHI-CIN that isn't in the middle of the night at the CIN end of things.

In short, I would like to see that train...but only if there's a framework set into motion at the same time to allow connections to the west and/or day connections to the east of some sort within a relatively short time if the train is seen as a success (i.e. none of this "Wait two years to put it on a six-year planning cycle" nonsense).

South Dakota had fairly limited passenger trains even before Amtrak. Most of the rail lines were freight orientated. The major transcons were built to the north across North Dakota or to the south across Nebraska, Kansas and Texas. Of course Wyoming has Union Pacific's main line, but UP was very anti Amtrak from Day # 1. As of May 1, 1971, the only UP route to have Amtrak on it was Denver - Borie - Ogden and that was because the DRG&W didn't join Amtrak. UP had quite a few passenger trains on April 30, 1971.
South Dakota's last intercity passenger train was discontinued in 1969, two years before Amtrak ... I think among the 48 contiguous states, only South Dakota, New Hampshire, and Vermont were without intercity passenger trains immediately before the establishment of Amtrak.

The state actually does have a couple of transcontinental routes running through it, though, including the former route of the Milwaukee Road's "Olympian Hiawatha." If I got to play king, that's the route I would resurrect ... though admittedly it would require re-laying a few hundred miles of now-abandoned track further west in Montana, Idaho, and Washington. :rolleyes: As a compromise, it would be fine with me if they just used the remaining portions of the "Olympian" route across South Dakota, and then switched to the old "North Coast Limited" route the rest of the way to Seattle. :)
I apologize, I forgot about the Milwaukee Road transcon from Minneapolis through Aberdeen to Seattle. Was the last train in 1969 the reiminant of the Olympian from Minneapolis to Aberdeen? I remember the Milwaukee also had a branch of the Arrow that ran from Chicago to Sioux City and Sioux Falls. The C&NW's Dakota 400 also ran across South Dakota but I think it ended in the early 1960s. I had a Great Uncle that lived near Huron. In the 1950s he used to travel to Omaha on a C&NW local that went across South Dakota.

Did I miss it or did no one mention Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati? .......

Politically easy?

Just over 2 years ago Ohio had an agreement with the Fed to fund most of the capital costs for a 3C's service. Today, we still have nothing being done towards implementing such a service; the money marked for Ohio has gone to other states; and at least for the foreseeable future the plan is dead.

And the most interesting and sad part about this failure is the fact that, the 3C's plan was written by Mr. James Seney, a Republican. The plan then went to the Republican controlled Ohio State Senate where it was approved 33-0 to seek Federal funding. But because it was a Democratic Governor who actually signed the funding agreement with the Fed, and a Democratic President who signed the check, it suddenly became a bad plan. So after seeing the success that a candidate in Wisconsin was having campaigning against the big bad train, the Republican candidate for Ohio decided to try the same tactic to boost his sagging campaign. And it worked!

Of course it never occurred to him to look up history and learn that the Republicans in that state had fought hard for the train and approved it. He even went so far as to pat himself on the back for stopping those crazy rail zealots are something like that, without realizing that he'd just insulted the members of his own party.

But I can't imagine anything that was more politically easy than simply standing by the plan written by a member of your own party and approved by every member of the State Senate which was controlled by your own party. And yet, today we still have no train and currently no hope of ever getting a train between the 3C's. :(

Did I miss it or did no one mention Cleveland-Columbus-Cincinnati? .......

Politically easy?

Just over 2 years ago Ohio had an agreement with the Fed to fund most of the capital costs for a 3C's service. Today, we still have nothing being done towards implementing such a service; the money marked for Ohio has gone to other states; and at least for the foreseeable future the plan is dead.

And the most interesting and sad part about this failure is the fact that, the 3C's plan was written by Mr. James Seney, a Republican. The plan then went to the Republican controlled Ohio State Senate where it was approved 33-0 to seek Federal funding. But because it was a Democratic Governor who actually signed the funding agreement with the Fed, and a Democratic President who signed the check, it suddenly became a bad plan. So after seeing the success that a candidate in Wisconsin was having campaigning against the big bad train, the Republican candidate for Ohio decided to try the same tactic to boost his sagging campaign. And it worked!

Of course it never occurred to him to look up history and learn that the Republicans in that state had fought hard for the train and approved it. He even went so far as to pat himself on the back for stopping those crazy rail zealots are something like that, without realizing that he'd just insulted the members of his own party.

But I can't imagine anything that was more politically easy than simply standing by the plan written by a member of your own party and approved by every member of the State Senate which was controlled by your own party. And yet, today we still have no train and currently no hope of ever getting a train between the 3C's. :(
What a shame........

Politically easy? Yes. The problem that I see, at least with listing that as #1 on any list, is bad connectivity...most notably, there's no good way to get from that train to/from CHI at present. The connectivity heading east is more workable (virtually any train on that run will connect to/from the Cap and the LSL with an eastern origination/destination in mind), but WB...there's a lot to be desired. Even EB isn't great because of the transfer times, but there's a difference between "inconvenient" and "awful".

Throw in a later train WB to CHI and an earlier one out of CHI to CLE and I'm sold. Ditto if you throw something CHI-CIN that isn't in the middle of the night at the CIN end of things.

In short, I would like to see that train...but only if there's a framework set into motion at the same time to allow connections to the west and/or day connections to the east of some sort within a relatively short time if the train is seen as a success (i.e. none of this "Wait two years to put it on a six-year planning cycle" nonsense).
I would think that there is enough population on that corridor between those three principal cities, plus many more smaller ciies like Akron or Dayton, etc., that you could make an independent operation out of it, and not be too concerned with making connections with existing Amtrak trains. If connections could be made, all well and good, but the primary focus as I envision it would be to concentrate on convenient schedules serving that corridor. And not have to hold for long distance trains that could be hours late....

From what Alan has said in his reply, even though only one state has to be involved, it is no easy matter politically as I had thought.....

I would think that there is enough population on that corridor between those three principal cities, plus many more smaller ciies like Akron or Dayton, etc., that you could make an independent operation out of it, and not be too concerned with making connections with existing Amtrak trains. If connections could be made, all well and good, but the primary focus as I envision it would be to concentrate on convenient schedules serving that corridor. And not have to hold for long distance trains that could be hours late....
Connections were indeed a partial issue here, but the 3C's plan really didn't take connections into consideration. It was felt that some would suffer through sitting several hours in Cleveland to make a connection. But overall the numbers were really based upon riders simply wanting to go between the various cities along the route. It would not have been a money maker, at least until & unless it was converted to true high speed service. But it would have done pretty well for itself and equally important is that it would have improved freight train service within that corridor too, taking more trucks off the highways.

So overall it was a win/win for the state. But the small operating subsidy, coupled with fear of cost overruns during construction, was fanned into a major conflagration to scare people into voting for John Kasich instead of the incumbent who would have seen the train to its completion and disproving the critics.

It's my guess that had the 3C's happened, that eventually demand would have forced a daylight train between Cleveland & Chicago to provide better connections. That train might have even originated in Pittsburgh, something that is still being pushed by rail advocates, but currently isn't going very far thanks to Governor Kasich.

Crescent Star!

Awww... I swear I saw it before somewhere, in addition to the Skyline connection. That's too bad.
It was listed in the 2001 Travel Planner (along with a bunch of other stuff that didn't happen). See this thread: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/45100-amtrak-proposed-new-routes-in-2001/.

OR

Also, pigs would fly.

Yay for "Dallas -> Little Rock -> Memphis -> Nashville -> Knoxville -> Roanoke -> Charlottesville -> Washington DC"

but add a stop in the Tri-Cities area (Johnson City/Bristol/Abingdon, TN/VA) to give folks living in western NC reasonable access.

Alternatively/in addition: I dream of ANY train connecting Asheville with other LD trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back