Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's just look at this quickly. The Blue Water last year spent $1.1 Million operating 2 daily trains. $1.1/365/2=$1,506 per train in expenses.

Each excursion train had more than 800 people on it. 800*$89=$71,200

Even with pay NS for the pilots and assuming that they couldn't get NS to give away track rights for the run, the odds fully favor that these trains made money. It's not going to balance the budget for Amtrak; but I rather doubt that they lost any money on this. And it was great publicity too! :)
Big thumbs up for Amtrak. :)

Let's just look at this quickly. The Blue Water last year spent $1.1 Million operating 2 daily trains. $1.1/365/2=$1,506 per train in expenses.

Even with pay NS for the pilots and assuming that they couldn't get NS to give away track rights for the run, the odds fully favor that these trains made money. It's not going to balance the budget for Amtrak; but I rather doubt that they lost any money on this. And it was great publicity too! :)
Your end conclusion is correct - they likely made a few dollars on the excursions. However, your calculation of the per-train cost of the Blue Water is off. Based on the monthly performance reports, the operating cost of the Blue Water was $15.1 million in FY12, and through August is $13.3 million so far in FY13. The per-train operating cost is about $20,000. Given the size of the excursion trains and the need to position equipment, my guess is that the two trains cost about $80,000 to operate.

Your end conclusion is correct - they likely made a few dollars on the excursions. However, your calculation of the per-train cost of the Blue Water is off. Based on the monthly performance reports, the operating cost of the Blue Water was $15.1 million in FY12, and through August is $13.3 million so far in FY13. The per-train operating cost is about $20,000. Given the size of the excursion trains and the need to position equipment, my guess is that the two trains cost about $80,000 to operate.
Oops, you're right! In my haste I grabbed the wrong number. For Fiscal 2012 Amtrak spent $15.1M operating the Blue Water. So $15.1/365/2=$20,685.

So even if we were generous and doubled that cost due to trackage rights, NS crew, extra Amtrak cafe attendants, greater fuel costs for moving so many cars; we're still talking $40K in operating costs for just one train and therefore $80K as you stated.

And just 1 train pulled in almost enough to pay that bill. That means the Sunday run was basically pure profit for Amtrak. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And just 1 train pulled in almost enough to pay that bill. That means the Sunday run was basically pure profit for Amtrak. :)
Well, if the takeaway from this is that every time Amtrak operates an excursion train, it needs to operate TWO excursion trains for it to make sense, then I support that conclusion! :hi:

Wonder if some of the labor being essentially volunteer impacts our impression of the profitability of the excursions....

Has everyone gotten their points for the trip? I'm still waiting on mine.
I have not received my points for the trip yet, however, I have received my points for the trip from ORL to PHL (but not back).

This morning I notice I got points (double points, actually) for my trips *to* and *from* Philadelphia for the trip, but I don't see points for the trip itself.

Just checked. My to/from PHL are there. I don't know if we'll get points for the excursion. I don't recall if anyone was able to confirm this.

Just checked. My to/from PHL are there. I don't know if we'll get points for the excursion. I don't recall if anyone was able to confirm this.
Interesting......I wonder if the Amtrak computer was programmed to recognize this trip for AGR points? The train number (803?), may not be recognized. Then the computer may not understand "PHL to AXP". Origin and Destination both PHL, with no intermediate stops.....

Perhaps this was an oversight when planning the excursion?

If so, let us hope they correct the situation....

Interesting......I wonder if the Amtrak computer was programmed to recognize this trip for AGR points? The train number (803?), may not be recognized. Then the computer may not understand "PHL to AXP". Origin and Destination both PHL, with no intermediate stops.....

Perhaps this was an oversight when planning the excursion?

If so, let us hope they correct the situation....
I was able to check the status on 803 on Sunday using the text method. Of course, I could only do PHL. 803 WIL wasn't a recognized combo :eek:

But, yeah, you may be right that it wasn't recognized in AGR.

Per a Post Today from Anthony:(Sun 11/10) on the AGR Forum/ Flyer Talk: If your AGR Number was on your Rez for the PHL Leaf peeper Special #803 your AGR Points should Post within 3 Weeks to Your Account! Anyone get them Yet??

I got the AGR points for the excursion. It showed up as:

11/02/2013 Philadelphia 30th St, PA (PHL) - Philadelphia - Autumn Express Train, PA (AXP) Show Details Travel Earning TQPs 178

And yes, I got the Select Plus and Double Days bonuses as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back