Amtrak Fares Difference

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak_Carolinian_2020

Train Attendant
I have recently noticed a common trend among some Amtrak fares. Looking at fares from Wilson NC to New York NY, both operated by the Carolinian and Palmetto trains, it would seem that the Carolinian is priced noticeably higher than the Palmetto. There are times when they’re both priced the same, or the Palmetto is priced higher, but most often I have seen the Carolinian priced higher. It’s typically only like a $20 difference, but does anyone know why the Carolinian is typically priced higher than the Palmetto?

In addition to the (probably) supply-demand stuff, coach fares for the Palmetto can have any one of six different values for travel between WLN and NYP beginning at $84 then $105, $150, $180 plus two higher ones, each about 25% higher than the other. The Carolinian may have 6 different Coach fares as well but all I could see for Coach were $105 and $150.

While two trains may have the same fare structures, there's no reason to believe fares will be the same on the same day for travel between the same pair of stops. That's why one can be higher than, the same as or lower than the other.

If you're not already aware of it, AmSnag. . . http://biketrain.x10.mx/amsnag2.0/amSnag.php . . .will let you find as many as 30 days of fares for both trains in a single search.

Back