Amtrak Features and Comfort Updates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

When the cars were built GFCI were likely not code. On the other hand, I'm not sure of what the FRA says, but the NEC would not be applicable to railcars regardless. Also, People are often deceived by installations that use GFCI breakers that protect all receptacles on the circuit, or a single GFCI protecting receptacles "down the line" on a circuit.

n3rdg1rl

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
It was amusing to see dials that apparently at one time let you play music in your bedroom. These did not work in either of our cars, a I and a II, which I assume is intentional. I'd be interested to hear accounts of what this was like back when they used to work. What kinds of music could you choose? Did it sound OK? When did Amtrak disable them, or did they all just die of old age?
These now control the speaker in your room for the announcements. That being set to 0 is probably why you didn't hear anything in your room.

The ancient car's biggest shortcoming for the modern traveler is lack of power outlets. Obviously there are no USB ports, and only three 120-volt outlets, one at one end of the couch and two by the tiny sink. (I guess Amtrak cars are exempt from GFI codes?) None are easily reachable for the (unfortunate) person sleeping in the (tiny, torturous) top bunk.
We always bring an outlet strip and an extension cord for this reason when traveling in a roomette or bedroom on Amtrak. Also useful in older hotels that have not caught up with the electronic age.