Amtrak focus group

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On Monday night I was part of an Amtrak focus group, having been invited by email to participate. Answered numerous questions about what perks would induce me to travel more frequently, about accommodations, upgrades, times, meals, and extensive questions about the Guest Rewards program.

Last edited:
And what did you tell them?
Many of the things that are said here. The questions were mostly about things easily within Amtrak's control, not so much about routes and times, etc.

I also am a big Amtrak merchandise collector, and I gave input on that. They even asked about the possibility of having AGR merchandise. Some did not seem to care much about that, or understand what AGR is, but I responded that I would welcome the chance to have branded AGR items, too.

On Monday night I was part of an Amtrak focus group, having been invited by email to participate. Answered numerous questions about what perks would induce me to travel more frequently, about accommodations, upgrades, times, meals, and extensive questions about the Guest Rewards program.
Did you at all get the impression, that the 'focus' was more on the AGR program and what enhancements would be popular, rather than the other perks?
That is the perception I get...just like the surveys that are more focused on the website development than the actual product...just curious...

If anyone else gets a chance to do this (I got the email and signed up but was not invited to the focus groups) please tell them that you need PDF timetables.

Did you at all get the impression, that the 'focus' was more on the AGR program and what enhancements would be popular, rather than the other perks?
That is the perception I get...just like the surveys that are more focused on the website development than the actual product...just curious...
To a large degree, yes. But that isn't necessarily nefarious or negligent. They pulled the participants from that group, so it is reasonable to pose such questions to that group. That's what focus groups are all about. Other groups might get asked different questions.

To a large degree, yes. But that isn't necessarily nefarious or negligent. They pulled the participants from that group, so it is reasonable to pose such questions to that group. That's what focus groups are all about. Other groups might get asked different questions.
I too was in that focus group. One failing of the website: if you didn't finish and submit your reply to the 3 or 4 open-ended queries in time, the reply got scrubbed. It should have been saved even if incomplete.
Yes, several questions were about: if you could use AGR points to book things like entertainment events, not necessarily related to your trip or Amtrak travel in general, would this cause you to take Amtrak more.

I was also part of the focus group and found it interesting that on the multiple-choice questions they gave you plenty of time to answer. So much so, that you had to wait for the next question. However, if they asked you to give your opinion as to why you answered the way you did, they didn't give you time to answer and moved on to the next question.
I wonder why?

I was also part of the focus group and found it interesting that on the multiple-choice questions they gave you plenty of time to answer. So much so, that you had to wait for the next question. However, if they asked you to give your opinion as to why you answered the way you did, they didn't give you time to answer and moved on to the next question.
I wonder why?
Yes, that was my experience, too.

If anyone else gets a chance to do this (I got the email and signed up but was not invited to the focus groups) please tell them that you need PDF timetables.

The national .pdf file is still available. On the main Amtrak page, click on "Destinations". If you're looking for a specific route, you can click on the route.

Amtrak Routes & Stations

Back