Amtrak footwear requirement?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I explained to my gf friend that open toed shoes and sandals are dangerous on a moving train when crossing between cars. She’s sensible with her footwear anyway. So no worries there.
I’ve heard announcements cautioning against open toed shoes when passing from car to car.

It may be more of a liability thing. If you wear open shoes & get injured when moving between cars, then try and sue, Amtrak can say "look we told you not to do it."

peter

The only thing that bothers me is when passengers take off their shoes and then put their feet on the tray tables. Sometimes I really wish for an attendant with a bit of an attitude ;)

It should be common sense not to wear open toe shoes, at least when passing between cars as one bite from a jostling striker plate will cure someone of that once and for all.

I have watched enough TV shows to know that a person travelling on a airplane should wear leather shoes and not sandals or shoes made of a synthetic material. I assume the same recommendation would go for trains but people wear what they want at their own risk. Any footwear rule for regular Amtrak passengers, except for a requirement to wear some footwear, would be difficult to enforce unless Amtrak wishes to drive away customers (Wait again, maybe I have answered my own question.)
What's the deal with footwear made from synthetic material?

From the very beginning (1987) when I first took my children and later grandchildren on the train, i have had a rule that I will not vary from. Shoes always outside of our room and no flip flops, closed toe shoes only. This is for their safety. Surprisingly, i have never had any push back on my rule.

Rail employees rules are even stricter...some are required to wear steel-toed safety boots, and most are required to have a full heel, and not a 'wedge' sole (safer for climbing ladder rungs)....

Rail employees rules are even stricter...some are required to wear steel-toed safety boots, and most are required to have a full heel, and not a 'wedge' sole (safer for climbing ladder rungs)....

That they are, the airline is not nearly as strict they just want shoes you can polish. So I ordered dress shoes for flight crews with a steel toe. That Galley Cart is not coming for my toe. I feel naked without my steel toes. The way passengers are acting these days I think it's a very wise decision on my part. With two Level 4 Threats to an aircraft steel toes have more stopping power than a conventional shoe.

That they are, the airline is not nearly as strict they just want shoes you can polish. So I ordered dress shoes for flight crews with a steel toe. That Galley Cart is not coming for my toe. I feel naked without my steel toes. The way passengers are acting these days I think it's a very wise decision on my part. With two Level 4 Threats to an aircraft steel toes have more stopping power than a conventional shoe.
Stay Safe, people are getting Crazier everyday!🤪

I would think a trip from one car to another a couple of times would clue most people to the fact that they may suffer some pain without the proper foot ware.
Assuming they even notice the floor moving. I grew up being one who always looks where she's stepping - probably because had dogs. :D

I am literally riding the southwest chief barefoot as I write this. I was told to put footwear on because there is a chance my toes could be cut off between the cars. However, the FTA does not require footwear to be worn by passengers on public transportation.

I am literally riding the southwest chief barefoot as I write this. I was told to put footwear on because there is a chance my toes could be cut off between the cars. However, the FTA does not require footwear to be worn by passengers on public transportation.
Wearing shoes when moving around has always been a requirement on Amtrak to my knowledge. For one's safety and for hygienic purposes, I would think one would want to wear shoes.

A thread comes alive after a year hiatus -
I was always aware of movement between cars - look at the slicing dicing action of the metal platforms -
visualize your feet in a butcher shop meat slicer - how many slices do you want and how thick -
The pinch that amputates flesh !
Enough gory stuff here - just don't do it !

I would think that Amtrak can make requirements of it's own, it doesn't make sense that Amtrak wouldn't require it just because the FTA doesn't.

Why would you want to do this?????🤔

Last edited:
Back