Amtrak footwear requirement?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am literally riding the southwest chief barefoot as I write this. I was told to put footwear on because there is a chance my toes could be cut off between the cars. However, the FTA does not require footwear to be worn by passengers on public transportation.
I don't know if the rules mention that you need to wear your pants on public transport?
Feel free to enjoy your barefoot visits to those Amtrak bathrooms... Yeuk!

The thing is that many passengers are first time riders, and most folk "expect" the floor to be solid, not to move under their feet. They are unprepared for the swivel action of the cars causing the floor to pinch together between cars.

Sitting in your seat without shoes is fine, but put them on to move about the train... Your travels might become more "footloose" than expected otherwise.

Last edited:
I am literally riding the southwest chief barefoot as I write this. I was told to put footwear on because there is a chance my toes could be cut off between the cars. However, the FTA does not require footwear to be worn by passengers on public transportation.

Additionally, the FTA doesn't govern Amtrak.

peter

The FTA doesn't regulate Amtrak.

It's also, if not an explicit requirement of Amtrak, definitely something that's strongly advised. Why you'd want to get on a train without footwear is beyond me, but Amtrak does at least strongly recommend them (and may require them - I'm not sure if these are hard rules or just recommendations.) No one wants to deal with a foot injury because a passenger was careless and got their foot trapped in a moving part, particularly in a vestibule.

Are you okay? Were you in the train that derailed?

Floors are not clean.. in any public spaces. Amtrak or anywhere. Just assume these surfaces are teeming with bacteria, cause they are... I wear shoes and socks.
The first humans evolved from other hominids about 200,000 - 300,000 years ago. They didn't start wearing shoes until about 40,000 years ago.

https://www.livescience.com/4964-shoes-worn-40-000-years.html
Presumably for 160,000 to 260,000 years all people walked around in their bare feet. Presumably for those 160,000 to 260,000 years the floors or ground in public spaces weren't any cleaner than they are now. (Come to think of it, the floors in private spaces aren't that clean, either.) Nevertheless, for all those tens of thousands of years, people got along fine being barefoot. Of course, they weren't riding trains and walking between the cars. :)

The first humans evolved from other hominids about 200,000 - 300,000 years ago. They didn't start wearing shoes until about 40,000 years ago.

https://www.livescience.com/4964-shoes-worn-40-000-years.html
Presumably for 160,000 to 260,000 years all people walked around in their bare feet. Presumably for those 160,000 to 260,000 years the floors or ground in public spaces weren't any cleaner than they are now. (Come to think of it, the floors in private spaces aren't that clean, either.) Nevertheless, for all those tens of thousands of years, people got along fine being barefoot. Of course, they weren't riding trains and walking between the cars. :)
How can you draw such a conclusion without citing death rates from foot infections and diseases? :) 😄

Years ago, I learned (from one of my husband's board wargames) that it was a major innovation for sandals to be worn by everyone in the Pharaonic armies in ancient Egypt. (They could march a lot farther with some protection for their feet!)
As to footwear on Amtrak, I've heard that passengers can be removed from the train at the next stop for walking around barefoot away from their seat or compartment (or for violating other Amtrak rules for passenger on-board conduct). I can't personally confirm whether Amtrak personnel will go that far with "footloose & fancy-free" passengers, though.

Years ago, I learned (from one of my husband's board wargames) that it was a major innovation for sandals to be worn by everyone in the Pharaonic armies in ancient Egypt. (They could march a lot farther with some protection for their feet!)
As to footwear on Amtrak, I've heard that passengers can be removed from the train at the next stop for walking around barefoot away from their seat or compartment (or for violating other Amtrak rules for passenger on-board conduct). I can't personally confirm whether Amtrak personnel will go that far with "footloose & fancy-free" passengers, though.

There isn't a specific rule on footwear in Amtrak Terms of Transportation; but a violation of any of them is grounds for Amtrak to remove the offending passenger. The two rules that wearing footwear would come under I would think are:
  • Who pose a health, safety or security hazard to other passengers or employees;
  • Who refuse to comply with safety or security rules or with instructions of Amtrak personnel;

Are you okay? Were you in the train that derailed?
I noted with interest that one of the pictures of passengers on the derailed SWC was sitting "on top" (really, "on side", of course) of one of the derailed cars in bare feet. I wouldn't want to be around broken glass in bare feet. However, of course, I do take my shoes off from time to time on the train, like when I'm sleeping in a sleeper or want to curl up on my coach chair (I'm small and can do that). No one expects the Spanish inquisition or their train to derail.

What's the deal with footwear made from synthetic material?
Rasputin’s TV observations are correct. I’m a firefighter. Synthetic shoes will melt and become somewhat bonded with your skin, creating horrific burns that can’f be cooled quickly, and leather is much more puncture-resistant. Both qualities make leather the best material for evacuating during an emergency, even if they’re used to stand on the steel train side in the sun or to walk through ballast. Steel toes are an added benefit but if something heavy lands on the metal edge at the base of the toes, the metal can bend enough to amputate the toes and steel toes make my feet cold.

While I do wear steel toes for working with tools, on Amtrak I usually wear plain leather pull-on or zippered boots (laces get caught and I want to be able to help in an emergency without falling on my face), and slip-on canvas tennis shoes with rubber soles when I want to be more comfortable.

I noted with interest that one of the pictures of passengers on the derailed SWC was sitting "on top" (really, "on side", of course) of one of the derailed cars in bare feet. I wouldn't want to be around broken glass in bare feet. However, of course, I do take my shoes off from time to time on the train, like when I'm sleeping in a sleeper or want to curl up on my coach chair (I'm small and can do that). No one expects the Spanish inquisition or their train to derail.

After the past few years, although I'm not expecting it even the Spanish Inquisition wouldn't be as much of a shock as it once might have been.

Back