AMTRAK for Christmas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveyb99

OBS Chief
Driving down HWY 26 today in Grapevine when I see the Grapevine Vintage Railroad approaching. Today, the train is lead by a diesel as "Puffy" is out of service. No matter, I pull over to watch and listen.

The consist is usually several old 1800's style passenger cars and some open air cars. BUT WAIT....WHAT IS THAT ???

Being pulled on the route today are three vintage AMTRAK coaches. YEP, AMTRAK dorm/coach #39918, Coach #39963 and #39947, box car 1461.

I briefly talked to my friend who manages the GVRR, and he said they rented them from Dallas, likely from John's Cars near Fair Park

I think they will run through Christmas as the regular cars will be in use for the "North Pole Express" train rides.

Will try for pictures and a tour later.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving down HWY 26 today in Grapevine when I see the Grapevine Vintage Railroad approaching. Today, the train is lead by a diesel as "Puffy" is out of service. No matter, I pull over to watch and listen.
The consist is usually several old 1800's style passenger cars and some open air cars. BUT WAIT....WHAT IS THAT ???

Being pulled on the route today are three vintage AMTRAK coaches. YEP, AMTRAK dorm/coach #39918, Coach #39963 and #39947, box car 1461.

I briefly talked to my friend who manages the GVRR, and he said they rented them from Dallas, likely from John's Cars near Fair Park

I think they will run through Christmas as the regular cars will be in use for the "North Pole Express" train rides.

Will try for pictures and a tour later.......
Wow, I'm going to have to drive by tomorrow and see the cars sitting in Grapevine. I've been wanting to take a ride on the GVRR again. Its been years. I once tried to get a summer job with them as a car attendant. Unfortunately he already had too many summer hires and not enough full timers. (hmmm now I'm getting furloughed soon....hmmm :D )

Davey, if you need someone to go railfanning, let me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back