Amtrak forcing conductors to check that sleepers are no-show

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

calwatch

Lead Service Attendant
I guess this has been a problem recently. From an internal Amtrak memo:

Background

‘No show’ Sleeping Car passengers should be rare as they forfeit their entire fare which is
usually hundreds of dollars, and often thousands of dollars. The call center agents have been
calling passengers whose tickets have not been lifted, and the passengers usually confirm that
they are on board but the Conductor has not asked to scan their ticket.
Conductors-missed ticket scans and lifts have increased the amount of ‘No Show’ Sleeping
Car passengers. This jeopardizes the remainder of the passengers’ reservation, the accuracy
of the passenger Manifest and creates a potential loss of repeat passengers.
Update
Effective 12:01am, October 27, 2014, the following changes are made to the “Service
Standards Manual for Train Service and On-Board Service Employees,” versions 8.1:

[Technical details on how to check on the scanner omitted...]

Tickets that have not been lifted will show the car and room number. Inspect tickets to
confirm that the room is definitely empty.
b) The Conductor must inspect the car and room number to either scan the ticket or confirm with
the Car Attendant that the room is empty and the passengers are no-shows.
c) If the passenger is a no-show call the Customer Service Desk (CSD) and have a
comment added to the reservation that you have confirmed the passenger(s) definitely did not show
up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing grasp of the obvious. The issues with cancelled itineraries due to failure to "lift" etickets was predictable. As was the tardy response.

I am glad, as well! On my last trip, I never saw the conductor at all when I boarded. I asked the SCA, who assured me that he had reported my presence to the conductor, and my ticket had been "lifted" electronically without my paper copy being scanned. It made me nervous, nonetheless.

Part B should be written "car and room number to scan the ticket and confirm with the Car Attendant if the room..." Words such as "either" and "or" can create confusion and still leave the door open for a Conductor to simply check the manifest with the Car Attendant and not stop by the room.

Funny that two months ago, customer service told me conductors not scanning tickets in sleepers is never a problem, it is just something that can happen on busy NEC trains.

Glad this issue is being addressed though I am sure if a conductor was too lazy to scan a ticket on a sleeper before, they will find a workaround on this too. At least this time, that workaround can't be at the passengers expense. Given that critical statement I just made, let me close by saying most conductors I have dealt with seem like good people, but all workplaces have their slackers.

Often thought (even before this) that ONLY the no-show segment be cancelled, NOT the entire reservation. If the next segment is a no-show, then cancel it. At least that would minimize losing your entire trip. Except for earning points, if I'm on a train on a single segment trip and my ticket isn't lifted, it doesn't really matter.

Often thought (even before this) that ONLY the no-show segment be cancelled, NOT the entire reservation. If the next segment is a no-show, then cancel it. At least that would minimize losing your entire trip. Except for earning points, if I'm on a train on a single segment trip and my ticket isn't lifted, it doesn't really matter.
Well, and the no-show segment could be corrected later, too, albeit with a bit of time on the phone. I got points for a missed lift added once (though I didn't get the TQPs for it, it seems possible that a manual re-add could be done, especially for a middle segment). I suspect the "cancel-out" rule is an attempt to protect passengers from themselves, when doing what you mentioned should have close to the same effect in the end if the passenger isn't totally out of it.

Part B should be written "car and room number to scan the ticket and confirm with the Car Attendant if the room..." Words such as "either" and "or" can create confusion and still leave the door open for a Conductor to simply check the manifest with the Car Attendant and not stop by the room.
I think your wording is what would be confusing. I mean, "and" would mean the conductor must scan the ticket of a "no show" too. How exactly would the conductor do that? I mean, if the passenger is in their room, and their ticket is scanned, what good would it do if the conductor was then also required to check with the attendant? Such would be complete waste of the conductor's time.

The existing "or" means the conductor must do either of (1) scanning the ticket of the occupying passenger or (2) , confirm with the Attendant the they passenger didn't show (and not merely in the toilet room or dining car at that moment).

I can say that from my own LD trips, there were many times that I boarded during meal times, and I head directly to the dining car after dropping off my stuff in my room.

Last weekend I was on both the Southwest Chief (Flagstaff to Los Angeles) and the Coast Starlight (Los Angeles to Seattle). On both trains, as I settled into my bedroom, the sleeper car attendant told me that the conductor would come by to scan my ticket. In both cases, the conductor came by within 10 minutes.

BTW, both trips were excellent. Plenty of water, coffee all day, wine tasting (for a fee) in the substitute diner-cafe car (no PPC). The T&E crews were good, communicating why we were late (signal problems and a freight vs. vehicle collision ahead of us and the OBS crew was excellent (yes, I'll let Amtrak know).

I am glad, as well! On my last trip, I never saw the conductor at all when I boarded. I asked the SCA, who assured me that he had reported my presence to the conductor, and my ticket had been "lifted" electronically without my paper copy being scanned. It made me nervous, nonetheless.
On the SWC in October, this was my experience as well. The conductor never appeared in my Sleeping Car. The SCA attendant, an excellent Amtrak employee, assured me that all was well, but I was still a bit apprehensive. (Would I get credit for my AGR account?) Sitting in the Lounge Car following dinner, finishing my bottle of wine, the Conductor appeared and I stopped and asked him if my ticket had been scanned. He checked, said it was, and that all was OK. Certainly had not been done physically from my ticket!

On the SWC in October, this was my experience as well. The conductor never appeared in my Sleeping Car. The SCA attendant, an excellent Amtrak employee, assured me that all was well, but I was still a bit apprehensive. (Would I get credit for my AGR account?) Sitting in the Lounge Car following dinner, finishing my bottle of wine, the Conductor appeared and I stopped and asked him if my ticket had been scanned. He checked, said it was, and that all was OK. Certainly had not been done physically from my ticket!
The conductor can "look you up" from name, reservation number, etc. and check you in without scanning your ticket. I've had the conductor verify my name as I boarded business class (I was the only one)and check me in based on that. If the conductor is "looking ahead" he will know from the manifest who to expect at each stop.

The conductor can "look you up" from name, reservation number, etc. and check you in without scanning your ticket. I've had the conductor verify my name as I boarded business class (I was the only one)and check me in based on that. If the conductor is "looking ahead" he will know from the manifest who to expect at each stop.
Once I took the San Joaquin just RIC-EMY-SFC with my kid. As the doors opened on the platform in Richmond, one conductor came out two cars away and yelled out "Going to Emeryville?" As he motioned me to get in.

Once we got to E-Ville, I tracked him down. He said he already lifted our ticket since we were the only passengers scheduled to board at RIC and obviously it was one adult and one child. Maybe something on top of that.

Thought just occurred to me that could be helpful in instances like BCL describes where the conductor lifts the tickets based on what is obvious to him from what he observes:

If the conductor lifts it like that, the passenger can get a text message to their mobile number that says something to the effect of, "Thank you for riding Amtrak, your ticket has been scanned. Have a pleasant trip aboard the (insert train name here)." That way the passengers concerns will be eased and the conductor can go about their other duties.

Seem feasible? After all you can already sign up for delay announcements via text message.

I've had the conductor on the Pacific Surfliner greet us by name as we boarded (before seeing our ticket).

@Orangesaint: The text message confirmation of a ticket lift is a great idea!

Thought just occurred to me that could be helpful in instances like BCL describes where the conductor lifts the tickets based on what is obvious to him from what he observes:

If the conductor lifts it like that, the passenger can get a text message to their mobile number that says something to the effect of, "Thank you for riding Amtrak, your ticket has been scanned. Have a pleasant trip aboard the (insert train name here)." That way the passengers concerns will be eased and the conductor can go about their other duties.

Seem feasible? After all you can already sign up for delay announcements via text message.
Amtrak's wanting to overhaul their IT system in such a fashion that it should easily provide that functionality, though I don't think that particular example was given.

What I remember from the 1980's was -- on the intl airlines --

The PAX was expected to "re-confirm" again and again, and if you didn't

Sorry you.

Amtrak and airlines now -- much better than then.

Thought just occurred to me that could be helpful in instances like BCL describes where the conductor lifts the tickets based on what is obvious to him from what he observes: If the conductor lifts it like that, the passenger can get a text message to their mobile number that says something to the effect of, "Thank you for riding Amtrak, your ticket has been scanned. Have a pleasant trip aboard the (insert train name here)." That way the passengers concerns will be eased and the conductor can go about their other duties. Seem feasible? After all you can already sign up for delay announcements via text message.
Amtrak's wanting to overhaul their IT system in such a fashion that it should easily provide that functionality, though I don't think that particular example was given.
I can tell which segments have been lifted (on a multi-segment ticket) by reprinting an eTicket on Amtrak ticket stock. I've done this at Quik-Trak kiosks, although I suppose an agent can do this if one doesn't think its a waste of time. The lifted segments disappear one at a time. One of these days I'm going to try using one of these just showing a bus segment (that can't be booked separately in CA) and see if the driver notices.
I don't know of any way to request a revised print at home eTicket. Also, the Amtrak app doesn't show anything different until all segments have been lifted. It usually indicates "PAPER TICKET REQUIRED". However, it doesnt show any change until all segments have been lifted or it disappears after 7 days from the last scheduled segment.

For what it's worth, I suspect the reason for "check with the car attendant" is that every so often (for reasons ranging from practical, such as putting a family together, to OBS conveinence, such as avoiding an awkward room turn in the middle of the night) someone will be put in a different room either temporarily (10 minutes while a room is made up) or permanently (for a family being moved around). If the conductor doesn't poke around, it's not hard to miss the fact that someone who was supposed to be in roomette 5 was put in roomette 9 and assume a no-show.

I can tell which segments have been lifted (on a multi-segment ticket) by reprinting an eTicket on Amtrak ticket stock. I've done this at Quik-Trak kiosks, although I suppose an agent can do this if one doesn't think its a waste of time. The lifted segments disappear one at a time. One of these days I'm going to try using one of these just showing a bus segment (that can't be booked separately in CA) and see if the driver notices.

I don't know of any way to request a revised print at home eTicket. Also, the Amtrak app doesn't show anything different until all segments have been lifted. It usually indicates "PAPER TICKET REQUIRED". However, it doesnt show any change until all segments have been lifted or it disappears after 7 days from the last scheduled segment.
If your ticket happens to be an AGR redemption (or a phone reservation/purchase), the App (and the website for that matter) will not display the ticket at all...before, during or, after!

There are so many different "personalities". Conductors who think ahead and look at how many are expected. And Conductors who don't even seem to think of it. With the sleepers looking up the agregate expected and checking to see if any were not scanned would seem obvious but unfortunately that can't be assumed. The service update which explains how and that it that has to be done was long overdue.

For what it's worth, I suspect the reason for "check with the car attendant" is that every so often (for reasons ranging from practical, such as putting a family together, to OBS conveinence, such as avoiding an awkward room turn in the middle of the night) someone will be put in a different room either temporarily (10 minutes while a room is made up) or permanently (for a family being moved around). If the conductor doesn't poke around, it's not hard to miss the fact that someone who was supposed to be in roomette 5 was put in roomette 9 and assume a no-show.
Also some conductors may be relying on the diagram they made up from the paper manifest they recieved at the begining of their tour of duty. If someone booked later or made a room change they would not be on there. That is why they should be checking their EMD devices like the service update spells out. And sometimes passengers board in the coaches by mistake and the conductor has walked thru the sleeper checking rooms before the sleeper passengers have walked back.

I don't know if it is feasible but it is a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back