Amtrak funding request (NY Times article Oct 21)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willem

Conductor
I could find no reference in this forum to an article in the New York Times earlier this week, so here is one. Mods, please delete this post if it is already being discussed in an appropriate thread.

Amtrak Warns of Layoffs and Project Delays Without Billions in Assistance reports that Flynn requested $4.9B, including $2.8B in emergency relief, on Wednesday. That article includes a link to an earlier article Amtrak Chief Pleads for Nearly $5 Billion to Survive Pandemic from Sep 09. I thought I had read a criticism here that Amtrak was cutting service without requesting more money, but the earlier article would mean that Amtrak had requested money before enacting the three-times-per-week service cuts.

The New York Times web site has allowed me to read a small number of articles without being registered, so these are probably available to the public if the reader has not visited the site recently.

Hi everybody... I've been negligent with posting due to so much going on... have also been very busy as a cantorial soloist during the Jewish High Holidays... this is an inspiring time of the year for many of us.

Many of my friends who in the Ashland Oregon area have lost properties, and have been severely effected by the fires; they are getting help from the State of Oregon and the insurance companies who have demonstrated impressive support. We have a long way to go in battling against climate change... and am hoping our country and the world's governments jump in with serious environmental programs and alternative energy solutions.

To say the least, it's been discouraging to see Amtrak struggling with inadequate funding while trying to maintain the best service possible during these trying times. I hope that the government will realize the importance of our rail transit system... ecologically friendly, efficient in crowded urban areas... and yes... vital as a national treasure which brings travelers to the forefront of America's beautiful and varied scenery. We do have a national pride!

If you haven't voted yet... get out there and make your opinions heard! And wear your mask!

Back