Amtrak Geeking: Dorm Car Life

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFriendly

Train Attendant
When I was a kid growing up in Miami, the Silvers always had Baggage Dorm (BD) cars on the head end. I was always curious what these were like inside, since we fare-payers obviously never got a look. On the outside they looked somewhat ragged and reports like this one confirmed my suspicions of the crew experience. Nevertheless, I was surprised when Amtrak eliminated the dorm-lounges that had been converted from 10-6 sleepers on the Florida trains and even more surprised to discover that some Western trains never had them and crew members usually just got the roomette across from the upper-level bathroom in the Superliner sleepers (stinky!). Where could crew members go for some privacy from passengers in their off time? What was/is the arrangement on single-level overnight trains without dorm cars?

I am happy to see the Viewliner dorms are finally starting to enter service- this is a long overdue benefit to crew. Can any employees speak to whether they are going to roll out to all single-level overnight trains and whether the accommodations are an improvement over past arrangements, beyond simply being new?

The Viewliner 2 baggage dorm cars are special built and currently meet the same standards of a Viewliner 2 sleeper.

Amtrak had original order 25, but the order was cut down to 10. Which it seem was the number of frames built at that time.

Amtrak may of had a plan of operations with these cars. With the delay in the arrival this has cause the plan to change, or it’s just been forgotten. I would guess that Amtrak try to cancel all 25, but got stuck with 10 because it was cheaper.

I was surprised when Amtrak eliminated the dorm-lounges that had been converted from 10-6 sleepers on the Florida trains and even more surprised to discover that some Western trains never had them and crew members usually just got the roomette across from the upper-level bathroom in the Superliner sleepers (stinky!).
Are you talking about sleeping car attendants (SCAs) or other crew? SCAs always have a roomette in their sleeping car. In Superliners it is # 1 (upstairs next to the WC, not across from it); in Viewliners it is an unnumbered "attendant" room across from the shower; and it was # 10 in the old Heritage days.

The rest of the crew (coach attendants and food service crew) get roomettes in either one of the revenue sleeping cars or in a Superliner crew car, depending on the consist; and used to get something that was quite a bit less than a roomette in the bag-dorm or Superliner transition-dorm cars - think a very skinny fixed bunk bed, narrower than a roommette bed, that couldn't be changed into a seat, and no toilet or sink. Once upon a time they even had to share those small rooms with a roommate. On old single-level consists dining car waiters would sometimes have to share a bedroom, and coach attendants would have to "hot-bed" the roommette bed, with one being down from about 10PM-2AM and the other from about 2AM-6AM.

Where could crew members go for some privacy from passengers in their off time?
With (generally) four hours of down time per night for coach and SCAs, and maybe six hours for food service crew, for privacy they would go to their crew bed, turn off the lights, lock the door and try to get a couple hours sleep before or after another sometimes 18-20 hour day (minus a couple of breaks). IOW, most just want to sleep. The relatively newer Superliner crew cars also had a lower-level crew rest type area off-limits to passengers for the insomniacs.

When I was a kid growing up in Miami, the Silvers always had Baggage Dorm (BD) cars on the head end. I was always curious what these were like inside, since we fare-payers obviously never got a look. On the outside they looked somewhat ragged and reports like this one confirmed my suspicions of the crew experience. Nevertheless, I was surprised when Amtrak eliminated the dorm-lounges that had been converted from 10-6 sleepers on the Florida trains and even more surprised to discover that some Western trains never had them and crew members usually just got the roomette across from the upper-level bathroom in the Superliner sleepers (stinky!). Where could crew members go for some privacy from passengers in their off time? What was/is the arrangement on single-level overnight trains without dorm cars?

I am happy to see the Viewliner dorms are finally starting to enter service- this is a long overdue benefit to crew. Can any employees speak to whether they are going to roll out to all single-level overnight trains and whether the accommodations are an improvement over past arrangements, beyond simply being new?

Are you referring to the old ATSF "Pine" or UP "Pacific" cars. I can send you some photos I own one.

Are you referring to the old ATSF "Pine" or UP "Pacific" cars. I can send you some photos I own one.

I was referring to those and the "BD" cars that preceded them. That would be really cool...I had moved out of Florida by the time those were in service and did not have occasion to ride the trains so I did not get to see their dorm section or the "smoking lounge" in the back half of the car that was open to passengers. I of course remember the ATSF "Pine" or UP "Pacific" cars well from their previous life when they were 10-6 first class sleepers and I have taken rides on the Night Owl and the Lake Shore Limited in those Heritage roomettes.

I was referring to those and the "BD" cars that preceded them. That would be really cool...I had moved out of Florida by the time those were in service and did not have occasion to ride the trains so I did not get to see their dorm section or the "smoking lounge" in the back half of the car that was open to passengers. I of course remember the ATSF "Pine" or UP "Pacific" cars well from their previous life when they were 10-6 first class sleepers and I have taken rides on the Night Owl and the Lake Shore Limited in those Heritage roomettes.

I'll post some photos in the next few days again when I get home again. I think I have one of an intact smoker lounge in Noah's Pacific car too

Back