Amtrak gets $1 Billion in the Dec 2020 Emergency Appropriation Bill

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Amtrak had requested $2.3 Billion and it got $1 Billion.

I have to scratch my head a bit at the size of some of these requests.

They ran the entire system -- with CZ, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Broadway, Lake Shore, Capitol, all daily -- on a $600 million a year subsidy up to the early 90s, which just happens to scale up to very close to $1 billion in 2020 dollars. (Yes, it needed more money then, and was really scraping to invest in new equipment.)

Feels like something went horribly amiss with the finances in the last 20 years. I don't know what. Though I have my suspicions it's a 5-letter word starting with a-c-e-l.

Translation please?
PTC => Positive Train Control - an FRA Specification of features that must be included in a safety system installed on all routes meeting certain traffic characteristics, like carrying more than a certain number of passenger trains and total nnumber of trains a day, carrying hazardous materials etc.

I know Amtrak needs more than that but it could be worse.
Now that the most recent economic aid bill passed by Congress has not been signed into law... I wonder what's next for all of us??? Evictions can now be served... and basic financial relief will not materialize. All this while between 100,000 and 250,000 Americans contract the Covid virus every single day!

BTW: Please wear your mask and wash your hands... if you must go out for essentials. Otherwise stay home and stay safe!

5e9fa9d0d4857.image.jpg

PTC => Positive Train Control - an FRA Specification of features that must be included in a safety system installed on all routes meeting certain traffic characteristics, like carrying more than a certain number of passenger trains and total nnumber of trains a day, carrying hazardous materials etc.

Thanks. I knew that, but my brain didn't make the connection. I was searching for a train or service. It's not in the "Frequent abbr." thread; guess that thread was closed out before PTC became an issue.

I have to scratch my head a bit at the size of some of these requests.

They ran the entire system -- with CZ, Pioneer, Desert Wind, Broadway, Lake Shore, Capitol, all daily -- on a $600 million a year subsidy up to the early 90s, which just happens to scale up to very close to $1 billion in 2020 dollars. (Yes, it needed more money then, and was really scraping to invest in new equipment.)

Feels like something went horribly amiss with the finances in the last 20 years. I don't know what. Though I have my suspicions it's a 5-letter word starting with a-c-e-l.

During the pandemic, the fare box has been reduced by something like 80%. Hence the recent need for large subsidies to cover large shortfalls. Maybe that’s overly simplistic, I don’t know.

During the pandemic, the fare box has been reduced by something like 80%. Hence the recent need for large subsidies to cover large shortfalls. Maybe that’s overly simplistic, I don’t know.
Yeah, it is Apples and Banans :) The $1 Billion is to cover revenues shortfall due to the pandemic and has nothing to do with normal subsidies. That is in a different part of the bill which appropriates $1.3 billion for the National System and $655 Million for the NEC.. I have presented outline details of all that at

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...ing-the-supplemental-covid-relief-bill.78130/

Last edited:
Back