Amtrak goes straight to STB to restore Gulf Coast service.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was meant specifically in respect to people taking the train to the airport, as that was suggested by a PP as a reason for moving the Mobile station.

You can't move something that doesn't exist at the moment.

The airport is doing the moving, from a truly terrible location not close to anything to right next to downtown. Setting up shop at the new airport sounds like a great plan. Will it work for everyone? Of course not. But it gives people options, and options are good.

I could see where having the train station near the airport would be useful. Back when I was stationed in Biloxi I often flied out of Mobile. That required either getting a ride or having to leave your car at the airport if it was a short trip. If there had been a train I could have taken it instead.

Only memorable thing about the old Mobile airport was there was a cafe there that had good pecan pie, at least back in the 70's.

A Mobile Airport station would provide parking for people living in the Mobile area who wanted to take a train to New Orleans. A Mobile Downtown station would provide access to the tourist attractions for people FROM New Orleans (and the rest of the country) who wanted to come TO Mobile by train. They are not substitutes. The downtown station is essential for promotion of tourism in Mobile...

We had a session with the Chairman of STB Martin Oberman, at the RPA Meeting via Zoom. He came across as a pretty non nonsense straight shooting kind of guy. Hopefully those videos will become available on Youtube soon.
Jis, forgive me for not knowing, but when you say 'we,' are you somehow involved with with RPA?
Wouldn't surprise me given your general knowlegde of all things railroad.

Jis, forgive me for not knowing, but when you say 'we,' are you somehow involved with with RPA?
Wouldn't surprise me given your general knowlegde of all things railroad.
I am a Member of the RPA Council representing Florida. I was at the RPA Spring Meeting earlier this week in Alexandria VA, as was @pennyk, and a couple of other frequent participants in AU and related Facebook groups.

I am also a Patron of ESPA (NY) and NJ-ARP. in the past I was on the Board of NJ-ARP.

Currently I am on the Board of the Florida Coalition of Rail Passengers, and also a member of the Florida East Coast Railway Society.

Last edited:
I really do not understand why NS or CSX or the Alabama State Docks are making this their absolute major stand on this particular route. It should have minimal effect on any of them. NS is very minimally involved and only in New Orleans itself, and any real or imagined interference with their operation could probably be remedied by the construction of a mile or so of new track. The CSX line is about as dead flat as any railroad in the country and apparently carries a few very long freights. Maybe construct a couple of 5 mile sidings and that would be good enough. After all, this segment is only about 145 miles between passenger stations, end to end. Of course with these underpowered trains, it probably takes them nearly a third of the distance to accelerate up to track speed, so once they finally get one moving they don't want it to have to slow down or stop. As to the Alabama State Docks, like NS they are only minimally involved and could probably become completely uninvolved by the construction of a couple miles of track along the waterfront. Plus, the Docks are an agency of the state of Alabama so, it is close to the state itself opposing the service, which makes absolutely no sense. I would think it would be better for all of these parties to save their fight for a situation where there could be real and provable harm to their operations.

My guess is legal precedent setting, with Connect US seen as a threat, not that I see much of that happening anyway. I only wish they had made an issue of such a case where there is more grassroots and political support for new service, such as Montana and Idaho.

https://www.al.com/news/2022/04/amt...-new-orleans-freight-operators-push-back.html
Amtrak is showing some real fight with railroads over this one. Apparently how this goes, goes the rest of the proposed regional lines across the country.

"The stakes are higher than the Mobile-to-New Orleans connection. Attorneys with CSX and NS remarked about the “historic” nature of this week’s proceedings with the future use of the nation’s railroads at play.

Mayors in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and elsewhere testified to the STB in February that they want passenger rail in their communities, and that the decision on the Gulf Coats project will loom large in how they proceed."

My guess is legal precedent setting, with Connect US seen as a threat, not that I see much of that happening anyway. I only wish they had made an issue of such a case where there is more grassroots and political support for new service, such as Montana and Idaho.
This is what the RPA is making of it; This will set a precedent for years to come. If NS and CSX get away with it here, who says they (and others) won't do the same for every new route Amtrak tries?

This is what the RPA is making of it; This will set a precedent for years to come. If NS and CSX get away with it here, who says they (and others) won't do the same for every new route Amtrak tries?
and hence the alleged obsession. It was explained in detail at the RPA meeting.

The reason Mobile to New Orleans is a good "test case" for Amtrak is that there is absolutely *no* legitimate reason to complain about running a couple of Amtrak trains.

This is a good case to prove that CSX is being a bunch of liars. Win the legally-easy case, and then we can work on the cases where the freight operators might actually have a reasonable complaint.

CSX is already parking their train in the place Amtrak would park. For longer than Amtrak would park it. No freight disruption.

The reason Mobile to New Orleans is a good "test case" for Amtrak is that there is absolutely *no* legitimate reason to complain about running a couple of Amtrak trains.

This is a good case to prove that CSX is being a bunch of liars. Win the legally-easy case, and then we can work on the cases where the freight operators might actually have a reasonable complaint.

CSX is already parking their train in the place Amtrak would park. For longer than Amtrak would park it. No freight disruption.

Wow people are dumb.

Back