Amtrak "Guess" Rewards

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently completed a 2 zone roomette award trip LAX-CHI involving the much talked about late 28. I was also on the late #14 CS. We were given about a 5 min notice to detrain at Klamath Falls so we could be bussed to PDX. I expected this as the train was already 5 hours late +/-. We made a stop midway on this trip at a McDonalds for lunch. I had to pay for this meal :angry: but not that big of a deal. We arrived at PDX and I checked in to the lounge. I was informed here that the bus would be loading in about 20 minutes :blink: I wasn't expecting this one, and I had been really looking forward to viewing the Columbia river Gorge from my train window. The bus followed much of the same route I think, just from the other side of the river.We made our connx to #28 at Spokane where we boarded around midnite. Our bunks were down so I climbed up and went to sleep. The next morning we were running I can't remember how late but it never improved. Andre our SCA wasn't the worst SCA nor the best on this leg. I put up and took down our own beds except that first night. Other than having coffee on he wasn't much help to me. We ended up over 6 hours late into Chi. thank God I knew enough not to book any solid plans for that night and flew home the next day(I was out of points), but I hate not getting what I think is full value out of a hotel room. Anyway this was an AGR award trip, and Amtrak did get me point A to point B as promised, just not in the time frame promised on the ticket ,and I got everything expected except the one meal we had to buy when we were bussed. Should I call and complain and try to get any type of reimbursement(preferrably 1/3 of my points back) or should I just be happy we arrived the same day as promised? I only ask because in a not so similar AGR bedroom award snafu SEA-FTW everything went well until we made our connx to the TE at GLB. It wasn't long after we boarded the toilets stopped working! Jim our SCA (great guy) kept re-setting the breakers until he discovered the tanks hadn't been pumped at CHI and were completely full. He was genuinely peeved and advised us all to call CS and COMPLAIN, which I did. It resulted in a $100 voucher :angry: . Now I was pissed, the agent said since it was an AGR award that was the maximum I was allowed. Doesn't Amtrak understand what a customer loyalty program is all about? Or how much those points actually cost me(sssshhhh) I just wanted to sound off and see what you guys thought. It's been two days so Amtrak will probably think if I was really mad I should have called sooner, but after my last experience I am reluctant to call at all, or even think about another trip right now. nThanks

I personally would call. I doubt you will get a refund of any points, but you may get a voucher of some amount. You say that you only missed one meal (lunch on the CS), so did they provide a dinner box on the bus from PDX to SPK?
huh.gif
Personally, I think I-84 is much better than the 2 lane road on the Washington side!
rolleyes.gif

Not that I wish it for you, but I wonder why they didn't bus the connecting passengers right from KFS to SPK - instead of chartering 2 separate buses?
huh.gif

I did an award ticket somewhat similar a few years ago. The Coast Starlight was late so we were bussed from Klamath Falls directly to Spokane and continued on the Empire Builder. Since I was in a sleeper, and I had "paid" for the sleeper, you are entitled to at least something for not getting a room or meals between KFS and SPK.

When I called, I think I got a $350 voucher as did my friend who was with me. Personally I think a voucher is much better than getting some points back.

So definitely call, as you too "paid" for a sleeper and did not get one all the way.

I personally would call. I doubt you will get a refund of any points, but you may get a voucher of some amount. You say that you only missed one meal (lunch on the CS), so did they provide a dinner box on the bus from PDX to SPK?
huh.gif
Personally, I think I-84 is much better than the 2 lane road on the Washington side!
rolleyes.gif

Not that I wish it for you, but I wonder why they didn't bus the connecting passengers right from KFS to SPK - instead of chartering 2 separate buses?
huh.gif
Yes we did get the regular box lunch we would have gotten on the train. I was looking forward to the beef box as much as the Columbia River Gorge ride I guess that's why we went to PDX :p . There were already people who had PDX as there starting point, so they combined us there,but they had use two busses anyway, so I wondered the same thing. The part that really got me was the KFS to PDX bus driver said they "help" out Amtrak about twice a week doing that portion in 5 hours what usually takes Amtrak 10 :rolleyes: I would rather be on the train than a bus anyday

Last edited by a moderator:
The part that really got me was the KFS to PDX bus driver said they "help" out Amtrak about twice a week doing that portion in 5 hours what usually takes Amtrak 10 :rolleyes: I would rather be on the train than a bus anyday
Sorry, but that bus driver is full of himself. There's no way they bus pax from KFS to PDX twice a week. That may have been true 5 years

ago, but these days the n/b CS is rarely more than an hour late into KFS. Or, more relevantly, train #14 is on-time into PDX virtually every day.

[Though I see that today is the exception that proves the rule...something seems to have happened to the train north of Chemult.]

And to his times... Google maps lists the drive from KFS to PDX at 5 hrs, 20 minutes. Amtrak schedules it at 7 hrs, 40 minutes...which

includes 4 intermediate stops. So yeah, the bus is faster but not twice as fast as the driver implies.

Give them a call. Last summer my California Zephyr "blew" the connection at Galesburg to take me to the Texas Eagle; so the Conductor stopped by the room and said to remain on the train on into Chicago and they'd set me up for the night. Not only did they hand me $35 per diem and a nice hotel room, they got me out on the next day's Texas Eagle, although I had to ride the local Coach to STL before I could get back in a Roomette. No problems with that because even though the Coach was full, it was a happy group of passengers.

The Chicago Agent told me to call AGR for compensation even though I was more than happy with the bonus train time and overnight in CHI. Even so, AGR cut me a $250 voucher!

I'll add my vote to calling for compensation. I'd never call over a missed train, but riding a bus from Klamath Falls to Portland, and then to Spokane, that deserves a voucher in my book. The only time I've ever complained was for a broken toilet in a bedroom on the California Zephyr. It didn't work from some point out of Denver, where we boarded, until Winnemucca, 20 hours later.

Thanks to all those that encouraged me to call CS. I was reluctant to call because of the aforementioned TE trip where I was only given a $100 certificate for broken bathrooms when we were in a bedroom and had to go to an adjoining coach to use the restroom. The CS agent I spoke to then seemed uncaring, and unwilling to do much and he didn't IMO. I actually felt I had been scolded for even calling in the first place. The guy I spoke with today was very apologetic and very helpful in taking, and documenting all the details, good and bad. He ended up sending a $300 voucher, but more than that he made me feel glad to be an Amtrak customer,something I haven't really felt in a while.

Remember that since you called because of our advice, we want a percentage!
laugh.gif

Congratulations!
cool.gif
Too bad I can't use the voucher to buy points. I'd be happy to buy my 10000 and get 50% bonus points when they run the promo later this fall, and send you what's left. :lol: But seriously thanks for the advice :cool:

Back