Amtrak Guest Rewards 2.0 Coming January 2016

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No need to rent a car or use taxis or Uber/Lfyt in ORL!

There's a great Free Limo Service that will pick you up @ the Station in a Honda and take you to the best place to eat in ORL, Burger King!( includes Free Yoga Lessons!)

The name is Penny's Limos! Send her a PM! LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
MODERATOR NOTE: This was started as a new topic but was merged into the existing AGR 2.0 thread.

I started this thread so that members may give their opinions on what they see happening in the aftermath of th AGR program changes. There will be negative results but they may be some positive results as well.

Here is how I view it.:

1. Amtrak will disincentivize some members to use the program and they may drop out.

2. Lower ridership (less AGR trips) may result, but mostly on LD routes. AGR passenger do account for a portion of the LD ridership.

3. An increase in availablity for sleepers and a possible downward slide in bucket fares. When we travel, we regularly encounter rail passengers in the sleepers who use AGR points. The new AGR program will cut off many of these trips and this may free up sleeper space, If demand declines so may prices.

4.The Viewliner sleepers coming on board In 2016? More sleeper availability and the effect..

In consideration of the above, its really impossible to predict what will happen, but we can have an opinion and it may be correct.

How do you see it all unfolding? .

If we want to plan a cross country trip and book after the new system is in place, how do we determine the price for two people in a roomette? Does the second person pay for the coach fare and the room is free? Using the point calculator for two people from Harrisburg to Los Angeles is a bit confusing. We want coach to Chicago and a sleeper on The Southwest Chief. Using their single legs options, this means I have to type the info in six times?(Har-Pit, Pit-Chi, Chi-Lax)

If we want to plan a cross country trip and book after the new system is in place, how do we determine the price for two people in a roomette? Does the second person pay for the coach fare and the room is free? Using the point calculator for two people from Harrisburg to Los Angeles is a bit confusing. We want coach to Chicago and a sleeper on The Southwest Chief. Using their single legs options, this means I have to type the info in six times?(Har-Pit, Pit-Chi, Chi-Lax)
Use Amtrak.com to pull of the price of the trip desired: Harrisburg to Los Angeles via Pittsburgh and Chicago, 2 adults, roomette (or bedroom, if desired). Note the total cost. Multiply the cost in dollars by 34.5. That is the AGR redemption cost in points under the new program. Until January 24, it is hypothetical. Since the cost of the trip in dollars can change between now than then, the cost in points will similarly change and is not locked-in until the trip is booked.

Diagrua, I agree with your assessment, although I'm not sure the impact will be significant enough to reduce fares.

As one who lives far from any Amtrak route except the Crescent, the new program will not work well for most of my travel needs. The long distance trips I'd like to take will require far more points than I'll ever be able to acquire again, and I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars in fares. Currently I have 46,000+ points, which I need to use for some kind of CZ trip while the current rules are in effect. That will probably be my last long distance overnight trip. *sigh* However, it may be more feasible under the new system to use points for trips ATN-NOL. I always pay for those because fares are too low to be a good use of precious AGR points under the current system. (I have not used the Points Estimator, so this is just an assumption on my part.) Overall, the program changes affect me negatively.

The current AGR zone program is extremely generous, imo, for many long distance trips, so it's not surprising Amtrak is changing that. I'm disappointed but understand why they would do so. What I don't like about it is the fact that saver fares and senior or other discounts cannot be used as the price basis for the points required for an award. And it's absurd that while Business Class and Acela earn bonus points, sleeper fares do not. The program seems biased against long distance train travel, and the points required for award trips are based on the fare price, "except when they're not." :angry2:

While I don't think the immediate impact on Amtrak will be large, I view these changes as one more factor in the "death by a thousand cuts" trend against long distance trains.

Diagrua, I agree with your assessment, although I'm not sure the impact will be significant enough to reduce fares.

As one who lives far from any Amtrak route except the Crescent, the new program will not work well for most of my travel needs. The long distance trips I'd like to take will require far more points than I'll ever be able to acquire again, and I'm not willing to pay thousands of dollars in fares. Currently I have 46,000+ points, which I need to use for some kind of CZ trip while the current rules are in effect. That will probably be my last long distance overnight trip. *sigh* However, it may be more feasible under the new system to use points for trips ATN-NOL. I always pay for those because fares are too low to be a good use of precious AGR points under the current system. (I have not used the Points Estimator, so this is just an assumption on my part.) Overall, the program changes affect me negatively.

The current AGR zone program is extremely generous, imo, for many long distance trips, so it's not surprising Amtrak is changing that. I'm disappointed but understand why they would do so. What I don't like about it is the fact that saver fares and senior or other discounts cannot be used as the price basis for the points required for an award. And it's absurd that while Business Class and Acela earn bonus points, sleeper fares do not. The program seems biased against long distance train travel, and the points required for award trips are based on the fare price, "except when they're not." :angry2:

While I don't think the immediate impact on Amtrak will be large, I view these changes as one more factor in the "death by a thousand cuts" trend against long distance trains.
Ditto

MODERATOR NOTE: This was started as a new topic but was merged into the existing AGR 2.0 thread.

I started this thread so that members may give their opinions on what they see happening in the aftermath of th AGR program changes. There will be negative results but they may be some positive results as well.

Here is how I view it.:

1. Amtrak will disincentivize some members to use the program and they may drop out.

2. Lower ridership (less AGR trips) may result, but mostly on LD routes. AGR passenger do account for a portion of the LD ridership.

3. An increase in availablity for sleepers and a possible downward slide in bucket fares. When we travel, we regularly encounter rail passengers in the sleepers who use AGR points. The new AGR program will cut off many of these trips and this may free up sleeper space, If demand declines so may prices.

4.The Viewliner sleepers coming on board In 2016? More sleeper availability and the effect..

In consideration of the above, its really impossible to predict what will happen, but we can have an opinion and it may be correct.

I have traveled numerous Sleeper segs on AGR during so-called peak periods and have NEVER seen a train with Sleepers Sold Out. Now with a significant drop in AGR pax coming, it will be interesting to see just how empty the Sleepers get.

Of course with the inept management now running Amtrak they will probably respond to this by RAISING Sleeper fares to increase revenue.

Here is how I view it.:

I have traveled numerous Sleeper segs on AGR during so-called peak periods and have NEVER seen a train with Sleepers Sold Out. Now with a significant drop in AGR pax coming, it will be interesting to see just how empty the Sleepers get.
Interesting. I've been on several trains with sold-out sleepers. A few of those trains were completely sold-out (sleepers and coach).

Yeah, I have been on plenty of trains with Sleepers sold out. I guess it must be more common in the east in the single level cars territory, even though the usual sleeper fares around here are somewhere between stratospheric and astronomical. Been on many fully sold out Auto Train runs too.

Yeah, I have been on plenty of trains with Sleepers sold out. I guess it must be more common in the east in the single level cars territory, even though the usual sleeper fares around here are somewhere between stratospheric and astronomical. Been on many fully sold out Auto Train runs too.
In my case, it was the Southwest Chief (in addition to the eastern trains), but that doesn't surprise me, considering it serves Chicago, ABQ, and L.A.

Here is how I view it.:

Of course with the inept management now running Amtrak they will probably respond to this by RAISING Sleeper fares to increase revenue.
Of course, which, in turn will increase Pt. costs!!!

If indeed raising Sleeper fares actually does increase net revenue, how does that make the management inept?

Because we want amenities and new cars and more routes, but we don't want to pay for it.

Duh. ;)

If indeed raising Sleeper fares actually does increase net revenue, how does that make the management inept?

Because we want amenities and new cars and more routes, but we don't want to pay for it.

Duh. ;)
Come on! The unstated premises in the "inept management" post was that raising prices will decrease demand and that devaluing AGR points will significantly reduce sleeper usage so that they won't fill up as often. So even if higher prices on a smaller volume increases net revenue, that doesn't imply that revenue could be even higher with lower prices and higher volume, given the extra inventory. Duh. ;)

Incidentally, I don't necessarily agree with the premise of high AGR usage of sleepers. It's been my experience, that very few passenger I talk to in the dining car have even heard of AGR, although I can't speak for NE to FLA trains.

According to what I've been told by "in the know" Amtrak insiders, AGR members actually make up a minute % of the LD Sleeper occupancy.

Overwhelmingly, the Redemptions are for Acelas and Business Class trips on the Corridors!

Same thing for AU , less than 1% of the AGR Membership are AU Members.

"Do the math!" (as W used to say, although he couldn't)

Basically, what we think doesn't matter to AGR or Amtrak! There's a reason that AGR Insider is on Flyer Talk and not other Rail Forums!

Business Travelers and Expense Account road warriors on the NEC are what matters most to AGR and Amtrak!

Except for the Autotrain, most Amtrak suits don't give LD Routes and passengers any thought except as to how they can cut costs and raise more revenue!

You could look it up, its happening now!

I have traveled numerous Sleeper segs on AGR during so-called peak periods and have NEVER seen a train with Sleepers Sold Out.
As I understand the definition, a "sold out sleeper" (or coach) could have empty compartments (or seats). It's sold out because there are reasonable city pairs, perhaps the end points, between which no compartment (or seat) is empty for the full distance.

Is that other peoples' understanding?

"It was nice to have the free lounge access with Select Plus to have an actual clean bathroom at Union Station in Chicago"

And because one person ranted and raved until they caved and did right thing - you still can have that access easily. Just book a business class ticket. Or pay for access to new Legacy Club. Chicago as far as my conversation went with a Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee member recently in Met Lounge - is only lounge in system that allows BC access. This lead should be implemented elsewhere. I've argued for service level continuity between Chicago and St Louis - same privilege for BC to access First Class Lounge in Gateway Station.

100 point minimum will hurt those of us trying to reach status. Fact that bonuses have never been TQP and still won't be - doesn't help resolve problem of how rest of country can get status that is easily obtained out East - even though we are just as loyal of a customer. I should make SELECT this year - but even with Acela ride if I can - I'll be a bit to far from SELECT+ this year.

Not going to win any fans with my comment - rarely do. But for many of us it's hard to feel sorry for those of you who have collected 100,000's of points. Granted you have spent to earn them in almost all cases. But some of us haven't had the benefit of rewards credit card - we have earned our points by putting in seat time. Even with new system - although greatly devalued - those of you with stockpiles will get plenty of free travel opportunities. While the rest of us will have little to no chance of land cruises of old.

For those who have been at this for years - you had a great run - got to game the system for a long time. Appreciate that fact and realize that if you want Amtrak to have a chance at being here years down road - it was overdue for them to make this move. Although some tweaking needs done - listening to some reasonable feedback that has been provided here and other places.

"Anyone else get the luggage tag? It contains my name/address and says "RIDE ON" on the bottom with the AGR logo."

Nice thought = they must have listened to forum feedback - that has been suggested here more than once. Only got one tag - most of us travel with more baggage than that. Tag seemed flimsy and I doubt it will hold up over time.

Proof of delivery

https://twitter.com/Iggy/status/638887289503019008

I really have to agree with iggy. As someone who has spent hundreds of thousands of AGR points in the last six years, I am just grateful that the gravy train lasted this long. I'm also pleased that AGR has given us a long grace period to use up our points. Every rewards program devalues, but many devalue with little (Hilton) or no (Wyndham Rewards) warning. In comparison, AGR is a class act.

Even though I have generally spent more than 20 nights per year in sleepers, I have always accepted that I was little more than a freeloader, extracting maximum value for the little I contributed. I never made points runs, but only because I couldn't,living in Minnesota. Instead, I manipulated credit cards, which probably gave just as little revenue to Amtrak. Even if I was a frequent traveler I certainly wasn't one of their best customers.

With the new program, the cost of a sleeper to me goes up, and I am sure that I will ride less.

That's natural.

I hope that the new AGR program does well for Amtrak. It seems to me that it's widening the focus from just the NEC to other high-frequency corridors, which seems smart. It's not to my benefit, but I was never a high-value customer. It might not seem fair, but it's just business.

"I believe every Metropolitan Lounge allows Business Class passengers access."

Nope does NOT!! I can give you a quick example from experience. Washington DC does not allow Acela BC ( rode December 2014 no lounge access for any BC ) or Regional BC access to lounge. As far as I am aware New York Penn does not either. Unless something has changed in the past 6 months.

Again my conversation with Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee member in Chicago Met Lounge took place last week. So I highly doubt anything has changed. Whether you or anyone else wants to believe my statement matters little to me. But rest assured Chicago Metropolitan Lounge Union Station access was a recent change in past few years. As a long time passenger through that station I can assure you again BC lounge access was NOT allowed until just a few years ago. Access was hard fought and still underused by many Illinois Midwest BC riders - some who still aren't aware the perk exist for them.

If for some reason your just hating on the truth from messenger. You can search forum threads here to back up everything I have stated.

Washington DC has a Club Acela, not a Met Lounge. Same for New York.

I don't think that BC access to the Met Lounge in CHI being (somewhat) new is in question, everyone that's been around for more than a year or so knows that to be the case.

From the source:

ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and First Class Lounge

Amtrak offers several types of private lounges for Acela Express First Class passengers, sleeping car passengers, Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus, Select Executive members, United Club Members and private car owners.

Who is Eligible for Access?

Amtrak Guest Rewards members with a valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
Amtrak passengers with a same-day ticket (departing) or ticket receipt (arriving) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
Complimentary ClubAcela Single-Day Pass holders. Same-day travel ticket not needed.
Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the reservation. Provide reservation number to Club representative upon entry.
United Club Members with a valid United Club Card are entitled to access ClubAcela locations and may bring in two guests or their spouses and children under the age of 21. United Global First or United BusinessFirst passengers with a flight coupon or boarding pass with a same-day, international segment in United Global First or United BusinessFirst are also entitled to ClubAcela access.
ClubAcela

ClubAcela provides a quiet, refined atmosphere where passengers may wait for their trains or unwind after detraining. ClubAcela features include:

Comfortable, quiet lounge seating
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks
Internet access
Free local phone calls
Fax and photocopy service
Newspapers and periodicals
Television
Attendants to assist with reservation, ticketing and local entertainment needs
Features may vary by location
ClubAcela lounges are located in the following stations:

Boston - South Station (5:30 am - 9:30 pm daily)
New York - Penn Station (5:15 am - 9:30 pm Mon - Fri; 7 am - 9 pm Sat - Sun)
Philadelphia - 30th Street Station (6 am - 9 pm daily)
Washington, DC - Union Station (4:45 am - 10 pm Mon - Fri; 5 am - 10 pm Sat - Sun)

Metropolitan Lounge

Similar to ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounges are available to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with the same day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members, and include:

Comfortable, quiet lounge seating
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks
Attendants to assist with reservation, ticketing and local entertainment needs
Internet access
Metropolitan Lounges are located in the following stations:

Chicago - Union Station
Los Angeles - Union Station
Portland, OR - Union Station
First Class Lounge

Unattended, separate sleeping car passenger and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive member waiting rooms are available in the following stations:

St. Paul/Minneapolis
St. Louis
New Orleans
Raleigh

Back