Amtrak Half Roasted Chicken Replaced

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat38a

Engineer
Looks like the half roasted chicken has been replaced on the menu. The menu description shows it as "ask your server" and Amtrak Food Facts shows it as a chicken breast. I never ordered the chicken so I won't miss it myself.

This is the first Positive News regarding Food in the Diners in a long time!

Hopefully we'll get a report on whether or not it is fully roasted and how it tastes from a member soon!

Going by Amtrak Food Facts and not the menu, it looks like new items such as chicken sliders have been added as well. PPC items have FINALLY changed as well. I'm guessing that the menu's themselves will be updated soon.

I never would order the half chicken based on the calorie count, but once when I was on a VERY late EB, we were only offered two choices for dinner (after we should have already been in CHI). One of them was the half chicken, so I got it. It was too much food so I could not eat it all. A chicken breast would be much better for me.

I had the chicken last week and it is an improvement because that half chicken was too much food. What I received had the same barbecue sauce that they put on the 'special' (pork) that they have every day of the week now. I thought it was good. It seems like I read that they will change the chicken selection so you should check with your server. In my case the server is the room attendant. :)

PPC items have FINALLY changed as well.
The new PPC items are fully prepared off site prior to departure from the originating station, including the application of mandatory spreads and sauces, leading to a substantially worse dining experience than anything I've ever had on the PPC previously. Any semblance of enjoying a "premium" meal in the Pacific Parlor Car has been washed away with the most recent menu changes.

Stale bread, dried out turkey loaf, wilted veggies, and disgusting unavoidable mayonnaise based spread on a plastic plate.

AmtrakParlorCarPremiumTurkeySandwich.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
PPC items have FINALLY changed as well.
The new PPC items are fully prepared off site prior to departure from the originating station, including the application of mandatory spreads and sauces, leading to a substantially worse dining experience than anything I've ever had on the PPC previously. Any semblance of enjoying a "premium" meal in the Pacific Parlor Car has been washed away with the most recent menu changes.

Stale bread, dried out turkey loaf, wilted veggies, and disgusting unavoidable mayonnaise based spread on a plastic plate.
What's "PPC" ?

I had a tuna sandwich in the PPC recently and I thought the guy stood there and prepared it fresh. I'm not a PPC fan and I've only eaten in there two times but that sandwich was good. Last summer I had a breakfast sandwich that was still frozen in the middle that was the worst thing I ever received on Amtrak so you just never know.

Alas- no more lamb shank on the PPC?

4685285.gif

Edit: Oh wait- there it is!

giphy.gif

I had the chicken last week and it is an improvement because that half chicken was too much food.
I also had the chicken breast last week (on the Silver Meteor), and thought it was an improvement over the half chicken.

CS has been offering chicken breast as the entree in the meal-brought-to-your-seat service to coach passengers for a couple months, at least.

Lamb shank on the CL was the BEST meal I ever had on any Amtrak train !
Agreed.... I honestly think the Lamb Shank was the best entree I've ever had on any train period. During the "chef-inspired" period a few years ago there were alot of winners. The Lamb Shank, the Mahi Mahi, the Beechers Macaroni and Cheese Entree, etc.

It proves that the current staff, with the current vendor, with the cureent "somewhat pre-prepared" cooking methods, can provide a great product. All it takes is ordering for the premium entrees from the vendor and putting them on the menu. (oh yeah... and paying for it.).

I had the chicken last week and it is an improvement because that half chicken was too much food.
I also had the chicken breast last week (on the Silver Meteor), and thought it was an improvement over the half chicken.
I had the chicken breast on the Cap 30 Friday night and it was very good. Much better than the 1/2 chicken although it was not bad. The pork shanks were also enjoyed by our model railroad crew trip as was the excellent steaks. And the new cheesecake with Greek yogurt was better than the former cheesecake taken off the menu. My food report for this week.. :)

Thanks for the "boots on the train" reports on the New menu items!

I never cared much for the half chicken, but the new offering sounds good ( if Penny likes it it has to be good! ) and the new cheese cake sounds much better than the sorry mystery in a cup one that was being served!

I never cared much for the half chicken, but the new offering sounds good ( if Penny likes it it has to be good! ) and the new cheese cake sounds much better than the sorry mystery in a cup one that was being served!
Anything has to be better than the "strawberry" cheesecake they were serving for a while. Was a total disappointment when they replaced the plain with fruit topping with the pre mixed garbage.

The half chicken was too much for me as well. OTOH, when my teenage son was along, it was just right for him :) !

Anything has to be better than the "strawberry" cheesecake they were serving for a while. Was a total disappointment when they replaced the plain with fruit topping with the pre mixed garbage.

Here is Amtrak's new scoop of CoolWhip in a bag dessert...

AmtrakCoolWhipScoop.jpg

Here is Amtrak's new gas station grade "Chocolate Creme" dessert...

AmtrakChocolateCreme.jpg

Amtrak makes mistakes in the diner, but generally does a fairly decent job considering the constant criticism they get from Congress. One thing that bothers me is that my wife has to have gluten free food and the situation on the diner seems to get worse and worse. We frequently ride the Coast Starlight and she used to enjoy the salmon fillets. Unfortunately, that was removed from the menu and replaced with crab cakes, which contain breading, making it a no go. She could eat the half-chicken, but since it has been replaced with a chicken breast covered with who-knows-what, so that also may be a no go. Very slim pickings for her, indeed. I think there are a great number of gluten free people out there who need to speak up!

Agreed Yumacool. The crab cakes are also a no-go for those who can't have shellfish, which are a lot of people. If I was going to have a restaurant with only 5 or 6 entrees, I would pick entrees that have the most appeal for people of various diets.

I had the roasted half chicken on my trip on the Silver Snail last fall. That was when leakage from a rainstorm shut down the grill, so no steak. I actually thought it was pretty good. The chicken, that is, not the rather salty rice that came with it. But it was wasn't that bad, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back