Amtrak has agreement with Canadian Pacific for new Detroit to Toronto passenger service.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziv

Conductor
I noticed this article about Amtrak making a deal with CP for service between Detroit and Toronto via Windsor a couple days ago but didn't see any post regarding it. Is this a big deal? It seems kind of cool. How will they handle the border crossing? Have Canadian border guards at the Detroit station? I didn't see any mention of frequency. I would hope that it is at least 2 or 3 times daily to start.
It is nice to see any signs of Amtrak expanding service, even if it is just a 250 mile addition!
If this is a re-post of a previous post, please feel free to delete or merge it!

https://www.freep.com/story/travel/...-plan-gets-boost-amtrak-agreement/9135948002/

I think they simply agreed to tunnel use. Everything else has to be worked out.
It would be interesting to see where they propose to stop in Windsor as a starter - something that we have discussed at length in other threads. None of those issues have gone away, but getting an agreement to allow use of the tunnel for passenger service is an excellent necessary first step.

Great news. Also the expansion of DET !!
Confused about how they would use the tunnel.
At the end of that article, it mentions an additional corridor round trip between CHI and MSP - also great news! Never thought it made sense to depend on the EB only for that route.

Hypothetically, what if there was no stop in Windsor, i.e. VIA maintains their current CN service and station there, and Amtrak proceeds to London, ON, on CP tracks for a cross-platform transfer to VIA or GO there? There are likely to be few passengers from Michigan and points west heading to Windsor specifically, and they could be served by disembarking in Detroit to connect to bus or taxi.

There is also a very slight chance this could factor into the parallel discussion about a sealed Amtrak train running through Canada. (I'm still on the doubtful side of that discussion.)

There is also a very slight chance this could factor into the parallel discussion about a sealed Amtrak train running through Canada. (I'm still on the doubtful side of that discussion.)
Considering that it has taken 15 years and counting to get a C&I facility in Montreal and that even for the Vancouver service US Customs still apparently does not trust the sealed train concept and insists on collecting Customs forms at Blaine, I would estimate about 2050 before there is a sealed train :D

Back