Amtrak has declared war on LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, talk about one of the worst articles I’ve ever read. From invoking Juneteenth Day, and then completely fabricating what the first amendment of the constitution is about.

I couldn’t even read past the bolded text at the start, it was so bad. Railway Age seriously needs to take that article down (and fire this clown as a contributing editor) if they hope to convey any shred of credibility.

Other than the stupidity at the beginning, he isn't entirely wrong, if Congress is dumb enough to not doing anything between now and Labor Day, this could really damage Amtrak's long term prospects politically speaking. But I am not holding my breath on Congress getting its collective rear in gear, there are far bigger priorities like making sure state and local governments remain funded or the expanded unemployment insurance gets extended for those of us that are still out of work due to state health orders. I could see funding getting slipped in though if something were to pass, but Congress couldn't care less about the average citizen at this point.

Amtrak’s management hasn’t had credibility since Boardman. He may have been a bureaucrat and we can say what we want about him but he wanted Amtrak as a whole to succeed and from what I’ve read he was a nice guy. We could use another Boardman now. These private sector, former CEO millionaires that have ran Amtrak recently have no clue what running a company for the public good means or the responsibility it holds.

I’m leaving out Moorman out since his tenure was so short. I would have liked to been a fly on the wall to hear conversations between him and Anderson though.

Last edited:
Amtrak’s management hasn’t had credibility since Boardman. He may have been a bureaucrat and we can say what we want about him but he wanted Amtrak as a whole to succeed. We could use another Boardman now. These public sector, former CEO millionaires that have ran Amtrak recently have no clue what running a company for the public good means or the responsibility it holds.
I think you meant "private sector."

And sadly I think you're right. Good intentions make a pretty low standard, but one that far too few people in positions of power apparently meet these days.

The present administration has said it wants to cut LD completely and reduce the entire passenger system, so... I guess this is to be expected in tandem with what the government wants. It has nothing to do with what the constituents want. What else is new? Kind-a funny the 'Make America Great Again' slogan excludes the 20th Century Limited. Guess I gotta bone to pick. The article that explains what's gonna be happening points out the obvious and ends with...

"Amtrak has claimed that it plans to implement the severe service reductions because of the COVID-19 virus, which has reduced Amtrak’s revenue, even though the railroad recently received a grant of $1.02 billion from Congress to help it through the shortfall. A close look at the facts renders Amtrak’s excuse questionable, if not worse, as we will explore in the next article of this series. In short, the economics of cutting to less-than-daily operation would ultimately cost Amtrak more money—not less."

Pure politics... and apparently taxpayers like you and me are not part of the equation. Sad. 😒

The present administration has said it wants to cut LD completely and reduce the entire passenger system, so... I guess this is to be expected in tandem with what the government wants. It has nothing to do with what the constituents want.

Congress gave them the money to operate through this fiscal year, and they cut down the Silver Service trains already.

There's nothing quite like attacking yourself, is there? No administration required. :mad:

Hopefully, there will be consequences.

Back