Amtrak Hotels - Looking For Feedback

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a three-night business trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

I am currently booked in the Ritz Carlton, where my meetings are taking place. I booked during the height of the pandemic and got a fantastic rate - even lower than the negotiated group rate with the hotel.

I noticed, however, that the Talbott hotel is offering 12,700 AGR points for the same dates. And their rate is $70 less per night (although work pays for the hotel cost). If my math is correct, this would give me about $368 worth of Amtrak travel in the form of AGR points. Compare that to the $63 or so worth of Marriott points that I would be giving up. It is a seven minute walk to the Ritz Carlton from the Talbott.

I only want to do this if the points will post with no problem whatsoever, since I will be downgrading my accommodation and won't have the ability to go to my room during breaks in the meeting - which is something that I have always enjoyed being able to do.

So what do people think? Should I switch over my reservation and go for the AGR points?

Last edited:
I have a three-night business trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks.

I am currently booked in the Ritz Carlton, where my meetings are taking place. I booked during the height of the pandemic and got a fantastic rate - even lower than the negotiated group rate with the hotel.

I noticed, however, that the Talbott hotel is offering 12,700 AGR points for the same dates. And their rate is $70 less per night. If my math is correct, this would give me about $368 worth of Amtrak travel in the form of AGR points. It is a seven minute walk to the Ritz Carlton from the Talbott.

I only want to do this if the points will post with no problem whatsoever, since I will be downgrading my accommodation and won't have the ability to go to my room during breaks in the meeting.

So what do people think? Should I switch over my reservation and go for the AGR points?
I'd keep the good deal @ the Ritz Carlton, they're a great Hotel Chain, and 12,700 Points,while nice, probably aren't worth the convenience you'll have @ the Ritz. YMMV

Last edited:
I agree with Bob. I think staying at the same hotel where the meeting is located is a major plus.

Back