Amtrak in Petersburg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Iron

Conductor
I was driving through Petersburg, VA this afternoon around 4:15 and saw Amtrak P-42 #120 and three AF I's, coach-cafe-coach, sitting in NS's small yard that fronts E. Washington St. Undoubtely has something to do with the pending start of service to Norfolk.

This google link shows the location. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

link didn't show correct location. Google map 1244 E. Washington St., Petersburg, VA.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're likely down there for engineer and/or conductor qualifying. They probably need to have at least a coach and a cafe on the train for the qualifying runs, and they may have thrown a third car on the train to give the engineers more practice dealing with a reasonable-length train.

Yes there was a press release recently that Amtrak and NS will be testing increased speeds and qualifying crews Petersburg-Norfolk.

Will the new Norfolk train stop at the "Petersburg" station in Ettrick?

Will the new Norfolk train stop at the "Petersburg" station in Ettrick?
Yes, it will. Too bad that the old N & W station in Old Towne could not be used. Ghosts of the Pocahantas and Powhatan Arrow still lurk there :lol:

Thanks for passing that along. 2018 is a ways away, but it'd be worth $4 to run a true expressway, rather than the current 460.

Of course, hopefully the Bowers Hill train station will be open before that, and most of my travel down there will shift to the rails!

As far as I know, all consideration of a Petersburg station south of the river (i.e., in Petersburg proper) has ceased. During the early years of SEHSR studies, several possibilities were considered. Ultimately, the decision was made to improve the current route and leave the Ettrick station in place.

As far as I know, all consideration of a Petersburg station south of the river (i.e., in Petersburg proper) has ceased. During the early years of SEHSR studies, several possibilities were considered. Ultimately, the decision was made to improve the current route and leave the Ettrick station in place.
You are correct, the Planning District Commission in the area wanted to use the former N & W Station but that option was too costly given the connection needed between the NS and CSX. The City renovated the station about 8 years ago to use as a meeting/banquet facility so not much would have needed to be done except for the interior. It's interior is empty, devoid of anything that would remind you that it was a railroad station. Benches, ticket window, snack bar are all gone.

Better in what way?

It's slower and more accident prone, since you have cross traffic, stop lights and much of the road looks like this:

460_street_view.png

With no median, you've got over 100 MPH of closing speed with scant feet to spare. Not my idea of a good time.

It's worth the extra small amount of money to me for the additional safety, let alone the reduced time.

Better in what way?

It's slower and more accident prone, since you have cross traffic, stop lights and much of the road looks like this:

460_street_view.png

With no median, you've got over 100 MPH of closing speed with scant feet to spare. Not my idea of a good time.

It's worth the extra small amount of money to me for the additional safety, let alone the reduced time.
Rt. 460 is an old, dangerous road. I travel it on a regular basis. Heavy traffic on Summer weekends as it is the primary route from Central VA to the Outer Banks. The truck traffic is extensive. Head on accidents the most common. I'd pay triple the toll to stay off it.

My two-cents thrown in on hijacked "Rt 460 vs. new Tollway". (or any limited access highway-toll or free, versus, surface road)

Given the choice of two:

• If I'm traveling at night, it's "no choice". Nothing to really "see", safer, and more-often than not, traffic is less, may be quicker. I go with TOLL or Limited Access
  • If traveling during daylight hours: Traffic is first concern, as it relates to time. Much better chance to see the countryside, city on a surface road, travel thru neighboorhods, etc. Overall, "scenery" and ability to stop at some small mom-n-pop diner, and spend my bucks there, vs. FILL-IN-THE-BLANK chain restaurant/gas-station/store, I'll choose SURFACE ROAD. After all, when traveling on a limited access or toll road, you don't meander past too many old rail yards, train stations, antique stores, or church BBQ's. (but that is the point of those roads)

Swadian Hardcore said:
I don't like controlled-access hgihways, and will definately not pay a toll to drive on one. The U.S. Route 460 is better IMO
Swadian Hardcore said:
I don't know much about U.S. Route 460, but most of the single-carriageway U.S. Routes are OK.
Then why bother posting anything about Route 460. :rolleyes:

My two-cents thrown in on hijacked "Rt 460 vs. new Tollway". (or any limited access highway-toll or free, versus, surface road)

Given the choice of two:

• If I'm traveling at night, it's "no choice". Nothing to really "see", safer, and more-often than not, traffic is less, may be quicker. I go with TOLL or Limited Access
  • If traveling during daylight hours: Traffic is first concern, as it relates to time. Much better chance to see the countryside, city on a surface road, travel thru neighboorhods, etc. Overall, "scenery" and ability to stop at some small mom-n-pop diner, and spend my bucks there, vs. FILL-IN-THE-BLANK chain restaurant/gas-station/store, I'll choose SURFACE ROAD. After all, when traveling on a limited access or toll road, you don't meander past too many old rail yards, train stations, antique stores, or church BBQ's. (but that is the point of those roads)
I agree, but I still avoid tolls if I can.

Swadian Hardcore said:
I don't like controlled-access hgihways, and will definately not pay a toll to drive on one. The U.S. Route 460 is better IMO.
Swadian Hardcore said:
I don't know much about U.S. Route 460, but most of the single-carriageway U.S. Routes are OK.
because they're building a new toll road.

Swadian Hardcore said:
I don't like controlled-access hgihways, and will definately not pay a toll to drive on one. The U.S. Route 460 is better IMO.
Swadian Hardcore said:
Maybe if they built a bunch more people would actually realize how much it costs to actually drive when their rides aren't heavily subsidized. And then they'd start riding Amtrak more and the fight over subsidies for Amtrak would either die or be rendered moot.

Swadian Hardcore said:
Swadian Hardcore said:
Maybe if they built a bunch more people would actually realize how much it costs to actually drive when their rides aren't heavily subsidized. And then they'd start riding Amtrak more and the fight over subsidies for Amtrak would either die or be rendered moot.
That's why I want them to convert more "free" roads into toll roads/turnpikes. Right now the Interstate and Defense 80 should be converted New York-Cleveland.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back