Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From a reliable source, Silver Meteor is not bookable until 9/12 for 98 and 9/14 or 97. Presumes staffing shortage across several crafts.

Probably staff shortages. At least as far as I've heard on here....
I hope the Southwest Chief,California Zephyr and Empire Builder return to daily service by Memorial Day. It's peak season. We have reservations on one of the days the Zephyr is not running in July. As of now it is still bookable. I hope we hear something soon

Reactions: Cal
From a reliable source, Silver Meteor is not bookable until 9/12 for 98 and 9/14 or 97. Presumes staffing shortage across several crafts.
I have an H-room booked on 92 on 6/1. The booking page now shows the entire 98 sold out, and 92 having 2 H-rooms available. Since the uncombined Star normally has only 2 sleepers, it looks like they've already combined the inventory into 92.

My return is booked in an H-room on 97 on 6/5. The site now shows 97 entirely sold out, and H-rooms sold out on 91. I'm hoping 91 shows no H-rooms left because they've already moved everyone onto it from 97, but as of now my trip still shows 97.

If they move me, that's fine with me. I wanted 91 anyway to see more of the country south of WAS in daylight, but 97 was in a lower bucket when I booked.

My return is booked in an H-room on 97 on 6/5. The site now shows 97 entirely sold out, and H-rooms sold out on 91. I'm hoping 91 shows no H-rooms left because they've already moved everyone onto it from 97, but as of now my trip still shows 97.
They might have temporarily blocked out some accommodation pending accommodating all that need to be re-accommodated.

The last time I was moved from a cancelled 97 to 91 I landed up in exactly the same room in a car that was the original car number in 97 plus 2 on 91

Pretty insane that 65/66/67 isn’t running. Anyone know the official/real reasons for this?
I saw a comment on Facebook by someone who is generally reliable on Amtrak related matters that Virginia had withdrawn support for this train (since it runs to Newport News). This made me wonder, is Virginia subsidizing these runs South of WAS and if so could the train be brought back as solely a BOS - WAS train? I have not seen anything elsewhere about such a withdrawal of support by Virginia

The Palmetto should always run to Jacksonville.
Maybe the extremely early departure and extremely late arrival times hinders the Palmetto from extending beyond Savannah. Guess Amtrak wants to keep it a day train. Does the Palmetto have 2 to 1 seating in BC? If so,that would be an incentive for riding.

It's a crew efficiency issue. At least it would touch Florida. There was a period in the Claytor years it went there. The times would be no worse than the Capitol Ltd's at Pittsburgh. The consist is identical to the Pennsylvania's. Sometimes they swap. Business Class is a 60 seat Amcoach-1, IMHO, with several Amfleet-2's, a rip off.

If the STB requires better on time, then the Palmetto to Jacksonville should be possible. As far as crew that will not be a problem as Florence already covers the Silvers and Auto train. Crew laying over a JAX will just allow for different assignments from JAX..

I saw a comment on Facebook by someone who is generally reliable on Amtrak related matters that Virginia had withdrawn support for this train (since it runs to Newport News). This made me wonder, is Virginia subsidizing these runs South of WAS and if so could the train be brought back as solely a BOS - WAS train? I have not seen anything elsewhere about such a withdrawal of support by Virginia

I can't speak on the Virginia part but I have heard from Amtrak-connected people in Boston that the core issue now is Amtrak no longer wants to deal with trains at NYP arriving/departing at 1-3 AM.

So just to be clear, Amtrak P097 and P098 not operating extended beyond May?
Incidentally the Pxxx designation of Amtrak trains is a CSX (and perhpas other freight railroad) thing. Amtrak does not use that designation. It simply uses the train number.

I can't speak on the Virginia part but I have heard from Amtrak-connected people in Boston that the core issue now is Amtrak no longer wants to deal with trains at NYP arriving/departing at 1-3 AM.
That won't be popular with the admittedly few passengers that take Amtrak to see a Broadway show without spending even more money to stay overnight.

That won't be popular with the admittedly few passengers that take Amtrak to see a Broadway show without spending even more money to stay overnight.
I’m actually one of those people. Not for Broadway specifically, but I have used that train to get home after a night out in the city. Keeps me from sleeping on a couch or spending money on a room.

Argh. I went to review my itinerary for my Empire Builder trip from Seattle back home to Wisconsin on Sat May 14 with my 2 kids, only to discover that my family bedroom was canceled. My college student kid's roomette (extra room, better for all of us) in a different car was not.

I received no notification of this and wouldn't have found out about it if I hadn't checked myself. All other bedrooms are "sold out." It seems maybe the family bedroom car has been dropped from the train?

This is frustrating because we'd originally been booked on the Thursday May 12 Empire Builder, but that was canceled because the entire route got canceled on Thursdays and Fridays recently. I did get notification of that. This time, though -- nothing.

We could all maybe change to the May 15 train, but at that point I've extended our trip by 3 days and those hotel rooms are getting expensive. And it looks like there might be only one roomette left that day anyway, which isn't enough for the 3 of us.

The agent suggested I keep going back to the website because a room might still open up before May 14. "People cancel all the time." Any insights or suggestions? And does anybody have info on whether that family bedroom car might reappear for May 14?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back