Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You might miss the blizzard hitting Chicago but you are flying west, towards the frontšŸ˜°

I guess that could add to the excitement. I wonder how it will look from fl34. Maybe they will fly around it.
I guess that could add to the excitement. I wonder how it will look from fl34. Maybe they will fly around it.

At fl34 you would be going eastbound to go around the storm below - - -
I believe ATC assigns odd number altitude for west bound and even for eastbound

As a sort of aside on all these cancellations: one of my friends lives under the O'Hare flight path and mentioned tonight not seeing any incoming planes for a big chunk of the early evening when normally there would be a constant stream. I think almost 100 flights were cancelled today.

MODERATOR NOTE: The title of this thread has been edited to include other cancellations.

I have heard from a reliable source that in addition to the Empire Builder, the following long distance trains will be canceled on 12/31: 5/6, 58/59, 97/98 and that the Crescent may be canceled 1/1 and possibly later. Also a few NEC trains will be canceled on dates between 12/31 and 1/6, including 65/66/67.
Crescent is showing canceled for 1/1 and 1/4. Though some on FB insist that the cancellations are due to the track work, not COVID. 1) track work doesn't begin till 1/4 2) Why is it cancelled from north of Atlanta (we know south of Atlanta is canceled for the track work) 3) why is only the 1st day of track work canceled for the whole route

Uh oh!

Important information regarding your upcoming trip​

ā€œWinter weather across Chicago may cause disruptions to your flight, including possible delays or cancelations. As you prepare for your United flight, please give yourself extra time getting to and from the airport. You may be eligible to change your flight at no additional cost. For more details and to view your options, please visit the My Trips ā€œ64271BF1-2A29-44C2-ADCE-E739723FD771.jpeg7C987DAA-7C08-4DDA-A174-47A46D7FC04B.jpeg945FFD84-8942-4140-9F79-FDA4ABF7C931.jpeg64271BF1-2A29-44C2-ADCE-E739723FD771.jpeg

Someday Iā€™ll get back to Montereyā€¦in the meantime, here are some scenes from Chicago!​

Attachments

• EE82045F-5398-4CB1-B554-24C400D25DBA.jpeg
    EE82045F-5398-4CB1-B554-24C400D25DBA.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 650C88FB-0E05-4DA8-A545-1916362BE02C.jpeg
    650C88FB-0E05-4DA8-A545-1916362BE02C.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
The Empire Builder and California Zephyr were largely cancelled to get a ā€œresetā€ of its equipment AND crew. Not saying that COVID is also not playing a role - thereā€™s less crew available but thatā€™s a bit more complicated. Amtrakā€™s not been re-staffing its extra board as much as it could. The Empire Builder had an on-going issue of not getting the westbound train out of Minot, ND on time - a crew change point. Eastbound #8/28 was arriving late into Minot, and Amtrak couldnā€™t get a crew in from the extra board to get an on-time (or close to it) #7/27 out. This then caused #7/27 to have late arrivals into Seattle/Portland, leading to hours late turning equipment. So right off the bat, the train was LATE. And thus eastbounds continued to leave late out of their western terminals and arrive into Minot, ND late etc. etc. It had looked like there would be a break when a crew was made available to get a #7/27 out within 1.5 hours late on the 28th of Dec, but then it got stuck behind a freight train that busted apart just east of Essex, causing a SIX hour delay. That really put the nail in the coffin. On top of it, thereā€™s been subarctic temps and snow all across the the Empire Builderā€™s line from Chicago and especially across the High Line. Single digit highs with very negative temp lows at night.

CA Zephyr has had delays getting over Donner.

Equipment and crews out of rotation. Crews trying to take vacation. Crew trying to recover from illnesses - including COVID. COVID is perhaps less of a problem for T&E crews between Pacific Northwest and Midwest......

I have heard from a reliable source that in addition to the Empire Builder, the following long distance trains will be canceled on 12/31: 5/6, 58/59, 97/98 and that the Crescent may be canceled 1/1 and possibly later. Also a few NEC trains will be canceled on dates between 12/31 and 1/6, including 65/66/67.

Thank you for clarifying that. My brother-in-law in Boston (another Amtrak rider) just told me that he heard the cancellations were through the 6th, and I was looking rather anxiously at my 1/9 EB departure date. I am very happy to hear that (at this point, at least) it's one of the NEC trains that's cancelled through the 6th.

I know if they do cancel or modify my trip, I will receive an email. At this point, it seems the best I can hope for is a late train. šŸ§

Sucks to see a trip cancelled last minute but it might be better than getting stuck somewhere remote without access to supplies and you seem to have the right attitude about it. šŸ‘

This sounds interesting - can you tell me more about this part?
I travel Amtrak for the joy of it. I know it could (will) be lateā€¦we make do. I know also I have the luxury to do so. I mostly do long distance trains. I could fly for much cheaper ā€¦.our could I?

in this caseā€¦.

1. I had an Empire builder roomette Chicago to Seattle. Cancelled. $651
2. have replaced that with a flight ORD to SEA $1200. Direct, last minute, Iā€™m desperate and itā€™s to only one left
3. now two nights in a hotel I would have spent on the EB
4. now the meals I would have hadā€¦

ā€¦wellā€¦I wish I could have taken the train!

I travel Amtrak for the joy of it. I know it could (will) be lateā€¦we make do. I know also I have the luxury to do so. I mostly do long distance trains. I could fly for much cheaper ā€¦.our could I?

in this caseā€¦.

1. I had an Empire builder roomette Chicago to Seattle. Cancelled. $651
2. have replaced that with a flight ORD to SEA $1200. Direct, last minute, Iā€™m desperate and itā€™s to only one left
3. now two nights in a hotel I would have spent on the EB
4. now the meals I would have hadā€¦

ā€¦wellā€¦I wish I could have taken the train!
Hopefully the New Year will bring better luck. 2021 seems to be going out with a bang and a total mess for travel. The weather is supposed to improve after this next front.

Hello there. Iā€™ve noticed the southbound Silver Meteor (Train 97), scheduled to depart New York Penn Station today at 3:15, has yet to leave as of 4:40 PM.

Does anyone know if the delay is equipment-related? Or, is it a staffing issue? Iā€™ve read several routes have been cancelled due to COVID-19 related issues.

I checked Amtrak Alerts on Twitter but didnā€™t see anything listed.

Thanks.

Happy New Year Amtrak Chicagoā€¦.

Attachments

• 763A34CB-1F14-410D-A85D-722D46D66767.jpeg
    763A34CB-1F14-410D-A85D-722D46D66767.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 56
  • A4D35E32-BAC7-4DAC-AA35-E4216854CD21.jpeg
    A4D35E32-BAC7-4DAC-AA35-E4216854CD21.jpeg
    73.3 KB · Views: 56
Well looks good so far! Iā€™m ahead of the winter storm warning for Chicago. Next up a night in Seattle and then the Coast Starlight to Salinas and home. Iā€™ve noticed sheā€™s been significantly delayed the last few days. Snow in the Oregon mountains? I hope soā€¦love to see that! The circleā€¦oval ā€¦..discontinuous polygon ā€¦trip continues.

ill at least end up where I started!

Attachments

• 842320D5-63E2-450D-AC84-1A8299326CC2.png
    842320D5-63E2-450D-AC84-1A8299326CC2.png
    371.3 KB · Views: 16
was Chicago to Seattle via the Empire builder now itā€™s air to Seattleā€¦I hope!
If you can't get a Seattle flight - think a flight to Portland and a Cascades work-around
Non-stop flights - OK - alternative one stop MSP DEN SLC fare should be reasonably the same. HA-HA !
There are alternatives - some better than others - ah er much better than others ! LOL !
But UGH taking an aero-plane #&%@*!
Itā€™s 6.00 am on a Saturdayā€¦and Ohare airport smells like A beerā€¦of course that could be me! But ugghā€¦a long cab ride, the TSA theater, the waitingā€¦.Empire Builder where are youuuuuā€¦.

at least the plane may be on timešŸ˜€

Itā€™s 6.00 am on a Saturdayā€¦and Ohare airport smells like A beerā€¦of course that could be me! But ugghā€¦a long cab ride, the TSA theater, the waitingā€¦.Empire Builder where are youuuuuā€¦.

at least the plane may be on timešŸ˜€
I hope you got away from the beer smell.

RARE - Yesterday 1/1/2022 EB #8 and #7 at MSP (almost) same time
EB #8/30 arrived 1059pm departed 1132pm 15 some hours late
locomotives 72 45 and 7 normal consist
EB #7/01 arrived 1132pm departed 1201am almost 2 hours late
locomotives 136 27 and ?? normal consist

Ordinarily the St. Paul Union depot with two tracks could handle two trains
"BUT"
With the terribly frigid -10F weather and in the interest of safety #7 was held away from the depot
and serviced after #8 also eliminate confusion with customers getting on wrong train.

Ordinarily the St. Paul Union depot with two tracks could handle two trains
"BUT"
With the terribly frigid -10F weather and in the interest of safety #7 was held away from the depot
and serviced after #8 also eliminate confusion with customers getting on wrong train.

On the train we were told that it was due to frozen switches and freight issues. That said, both trains were in the station for a short period of time (although the doors for #8 were closed by the time #7 pulled in and we got out.)

20220101_233157.jpg

As of today, January 3, 2022, the Amtrak website has posted these service alerts and notices.

So either this conversation has past dated or these are concerns not acknowledged by Amtrak. As I am traveling one week from today... on numerous LD trains I have received no notifications of cancellations // understanding that changing weather can impact anything at any time.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 9.35.53 AM.png

Guess where Iā€™m NOT atā€¦and airport! Letā€™s go home the civilized way!View attachment 26598
Consolation prize to airports --- NO GRAFFITI - Unlike railroads - airports are an entirely controlled zone - you don't see any
graffiti on airplanes ground equipment or buildings.
Now as for RAIN and WEATHER well that is whole nother thing !
And civilize way (travel) YES no seat belts can get up and freely move about the moving train and no worry about those
other masks dropping out of the ceiling or seat backs. Railroad grades are such that there are no ear popping events
in the ascent and descent. Oh and did I mention you can bring your own refreshments snacks and beverages !
YES civilized indeed !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back