Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe 179's crew is now crewing 177??

What time does 179 hit Hells Gate Bridge? What time does the work on Hells Gate Bridge shut down the tracks?

This is more about balance and insufficient manpower isn't just an issue for the crews. You need personnel at you facilities to service and repair the equipment.

not sure how we're supposed to know the timeline of work. I don't really get why PSA is going to take so long with 24/7 years-long single-tracking plus ~8 hours of complete shutdown every night.

That's the point. The removal of the trains will allow a longer slot to get the project back on schedule. Metro-North is already blaming Amtrak for the delays just like they did with Harold and ESA.

https://www.thecity.nyc/2023/3/3/23624483/amtrak-mta-penn-station-access
Please allow a brief "fair use" quote:

THE CITY reported in January that the $2.8 billion mega-project faced six to nine months of delays after MTA executives accused Amtrak of limiting access to the tracks that cross the Hell Gate Bridge. The bridge currently is used by Amtrak trains traveling along its Northeast Corridor route, as well as some freight trains.

MTA officials said Friday the agreement with Amtrak could now potentially put Penn Station Access back on track to make its targeted opening — after previously saying the agency had a “short window” to complete the project because of planned structural work at Penn Station.

Now, they have their absolute outage. The funny thing that no one brings up is they still bring up is the MTA blames Amtrak for not giving them enough time to work on Harold Interlocking and that delayed ESA.

Hmmm....What entity OWNS Harold interlocking? 🤔

Hint: It isn't Amtrak.

As of 2:32 am PT, California Zephyr Train 6, scheduled to depart Emeryville (EMY) on 4/7 is canceled due to severe weather. For reservation assistance, call or text 1-800-872-7245.

5:34 AM · Apr 7, 2023
·
Views

Yesterday Southwest Chief train 4 was cancelled. What is going on in California?

As of 2:32 am PT, California Zephyr Train 6, scheduled to depart Emeryville (EMY) on 4/7 is canceled due to severe weather. For reservation assistance, call or text 1-800-872-7245.

5:34 AM · Apr 7, 2023
·
Views

Yesterday Southwest Chief train 4 was cancelled. What is going on in California?
It's been on the News! Monsoon Season in the Golden State!!!

Not sure about Northern California, but it's been beautiful in Southern California the last few days. I believe these eastbound CZ and SWC cancellations may be due to westbound trains having been delayed and/or canceled due to recent severe weather in the Midwest.

Not sure about Northern California, but it's been beautiful in Southern California the last few days. I believe these eastbound CZ and SWC cancellations may be due to westbound trains having been delayed and/or canceled due to recent severe weather in the Midwest.
It was beautiful weather for Train 6 departing EMY on April 6th. Here's our stop at Colfax.

P1050946.JPG

And in the Rockies on the 7th.

P1050990.JPG

I’m not sure if this is a long term cancelation, but Amtrak is canceling some Acela services mainly between NYP and WAS.

That’s a bummer I find myself on 2128 often when I’m going home from DC.

Sounds like Acela Ridership still isn't recovering between Boston and Washington.

This has resulted in some Acela Fares, even FC, being Lower than on some of the NEC Regionals!

Maybe the New Trainsets will help drum up more Acela Riders if they EVER are put into Service???!!!!

It looks like the cancellations are:
2104: 07:55 from WAS
2121: 14:00 from NYP
2128: 20:10 from WAS
2175: 21:12 from NYP

All are weekday only trains. It's a little weird to do this for low demand, because 93 and 19 (adjacent to 2121) are busy and can be difficult to get a decent price for a seat on. I can speak to around 8:00 out of WAS. I can see where late night would be better attended by the Regionals. There's no denying the Acela recovery has been lackluster, but we're back to capacity problems on the NEC. Tomorrow 176, 184, 20, 80, and 90 are sold out WAS-NYP and 51, 91, 19, and 97 from NYP-WAS (though 91, 97 still have seats for long hauls). I think something may be going on here besides low demand. Maybe equipment problems?

Edit: Maybe staffing? At this point with so many regionals connecting to state services, it is probably easier to cut Acela trips, especially if margins aren't what they once were.

4 Acela sets had to be pulled from service due to inability to get them fixed - they are being used for parts to keep the other sets going. Regionals are trying to make up the slack but there is not enough equipment for longer consists. This report from a manager at Amtrak who was VP of Ops years ago (he's in special projects now).

4 Acela sets had to be pulled from service due to inability to get them fixed - they are being used for parts to keep the other sets going. Regionals are trying to make up the slack but there is not enough equipment for longer consists. This report from a manager at Amtrak who was VP of Ops years ago (he's in special projects now).
Remember when a delay in the CAF order caused Diners to disappear from trains and Baggage Cars to be withdrawn from trains? Well this is the same thing happening with the Alstom Acela21 order getting delayed by several years. They did not have a contingency plan beyond slowly withdrawing service and hoping that the new equipment arrives before they hit the proverbial wall.

Maybe it has gone beyond 4 Acelas being cannibalized ?
The northbound Vermonter will take some of the brunt of this with its 5 car consist, which will empty it out north of New Haven with local NEC bookings. I rode 2151 two Fridays ago from Newark (the 5am from Boston, 9am from NY) not on the hit list. It was pretty full.

Here we have a very glaring example of management's push to "" save money for the bonus "" ! So, we have another example of the most equipment short of spare parts. Can we suspect that management shut down many parts pipelines during the pandemic and cannot restore them only at a much higher cost?

This has to be nauseating. How much more is it going to cost Amtrak to restore service. How much revenue has it lost and will loose probably to end of next year at least?

Here we have a very glaring example of management's push to "" save money for the bonus "" ! So, we have another example of the most equipment short of spare parts. Can we suspect that management shut down many parts pipelines during the pandemic and cannot restore them only at a much higher cost?

This has to be nauseating. How much more is it going to cost Amtrak to restore service. How much revenue has it lost and will loose probably to end of next year at least?
What spare parts? The Acela 1 was a one off train that’s no longer supported by Bombardier/Alstom, that’s the reason why Amtrak never attempted to rehab the trains for another 10-15 years of service. No parts supply was shut down to save money because there wasn’t one left. They’re even stripping the HHP-8s. If anyone deserves the largest share of the blame it’s Alstom for their failure to deliver the replacement trains on time.

Just got news that my Wolverine train 350 from CHI to PNT (morning departure from Chicago) was already cancelled all the way out in early October. What would make this cancellation happen so early? Looks like many of the 350 trains were cancelled around my dates. Any chance it will come back?

Just got news that my Wolverine train 350 from CHI to PNT (morning departure from Chicago) was already cancelled all the way out in early October. What would make this cancellation happen so early? Looks like many of the 350 trains were cancelled around my dates. Any chance it will come back?
Checked tickets and around late July, 350 disappears from the reservations system. No idea why yet. They’ll miss the rush back to school if they cancel 350/355.

Anyone here know why Northeast Regional 183 was canceled as of it seems April 1, 2023? I used to take this from Philly to DC (actually New Carrollton) for work pretty regularly, and now my options are leaving at either 6:49 am (crack of dawn) or 9:46 am (too late). The train was always full.

I can't find any details online about the train being canceled, but it doesn't seem to run any days anymore. What gives?

Those are really LD trains, I definitely agree there should be another Regional in there.

Yeah, those trains don't stop in New Carrollton unfortunately. And I find that the long-distance trains tend to be delayed more often. Very annoying that they canceled that Regional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back