Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since 66/67 has not been running there has been no checked baggage service in Boston through the COVID period anyway. But they were hiring baggage handlers for Boston Providence and New Haven. I don't know where that stands at present.
Last year I was able to check bags on 66 from WAS-BOS, and lots of people were collecting baggage on the platform at BOS. But at BOS nobody was able to check a bag on 65 going the other way, even though there was a baggage car.

I'm in Washington today. Looks like a lot of the NEC southbound morning service has been restored, including NER 67 and 151. My train (183) had 9 cars and was listed as "90%" full on the app when I bought my ticket 20 minutes before departure. Maybe the fares are helping. There were still $12 BAL-WAS tickets at that time. I don't think they've had those prices since the 1990s.

Per Amtrak, California Zephyr #5, departed 7/27, terminated in Denver due to maintenance in Moffat Tunnel. A 1005 Zephyr will continue on from Salt Lake City. I wonder what options passengers would have, and how much notice did they receive?

Last edited:
Per Amtrak, California Zephyr #5, departed 7/27, terminated in Denver due to maintenance in Moffat Tunnel. A 1005 Zephyr will continue on from Salt Lake City. I wonder what options passengers would have, and how much notice did they receive?
I read somewhere that a Wyoming Detour is not possible due to "Staffing Issues" and there is nothing about a Bustitution!( not sure if Scheduled Buses even run Denver to SLC any more?)

MODERATOR'S NOTE: All posts pertaining to temporary suspension of service west of Albany due to danger from an imminent collapse of part of a warehouse just west of LAB Bridge have been moved to a thread focused on this event at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/thread...uspends-service-west-of-albany-7-29-22.82704/
Please make any further posts on that subject to this new thread and not in this thread. Keep this thread for longer term cancellations and restorations.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

Empire Builder from SEA 8/5 cancelled:

I’m booked on 8/12, so this raises my concern a bit. On the VIA Rail Canadian now and not goring to be happy if I need a last-minute flight from Seattle to get home. Does anyone know if that is the same consist I’d be on? Just wondering if a pre-emotive change if possible would be a good thing…

I’m booked on 8/12, so this raises my concern a bit. On the VIA Rail Canadian now and not goring to be happy if I need a last-minute flight from Seattle to get home. Does anyone know if that is the same consist I’d be on? Just wondering if a pre-emotive change if possible would be a good thing…

I believe it’s cancelled due to the inbound 7/27 for 8/5’s consist is cancelled.

You should be OK, looks like a One Day Cancellation as the notice and Betty said!

Look forward to your Trip report on your Canadian Adventure!😎

Temporary reduced schedule on the Capitol Corridor in August '22

https://www.capitolcorridor.org/blo...uced-train-schedule-effective-august-15-2022/
"necessary due to workforce shortages ... This change will be in effect through October 2, 2022."

Seems like there's going to be a lot of labor suddenly coming available on October 2. What's so magical about that date?

I wonder whether this portends ill for the 10/2 resumption of our dearly lamented Meteor. Will there be enough labor to go around? From reports of botched hiring events and unresponsive HR, I have my doubts.

"necessary due to workforce shortages ... This change will be in effect through October 2, 2022."

Seems like there's going to be a lot of labor suddenly coming available on October 2. What's so magical about that date?

I wonder whether this portends ill for the 10/2 resumption of our dearly lamented Meteor. Will there be enough labor to go around? From reports of botched hiring events and unresponsive HR, I have my doubts.
Perhaps they have one or more classes going and expect those new employees to be ready to start on 10/02/22. Of course, some of the trainees may be decide this isn't a job they want and quit before they start working.

Perhaps they have one or more classes going and expect those new employees to be ready to start on 10/02/22. Of course, some of the trainees may be decide this isn't a job they want and quit before they start working.
Also note that that article is about Caltrans funded service in California. It may or may not reflect state of things elsewhere in the Amtrak system

Does anyone know when, or if, there are plans to put 245 back into service -- the late-night train from NYP to Albany on weekdays. If I want to go to a game or concert in New York City, Amtrak is not an option right now. It's a long drive down to Croton-Harmon for Metro-North or Ramsey for NJ Transit. It's much more comfortable on 245.

According to a post on Trainorders and as reflected by the reservation system, Wolverine trains 350 and 355 have been canceled August 29th-September 16th due to a shortage of equipment. This is the first train out of Chicago and the last train into Chicago.
Guess what train I was supposed to get on tomorrow morning…
Do you think I have a shot at getting a refund?

Edit: realizing now that the cancellations don’t start until Monday.

Last edited:
Oh, I just noticed that the cancellations begin Monday, so tomorrow will be safe. Still, it’s definitely very annoying for a lot of people. The 350 is always packed.
What’s strange to me is that the Amtrak app doesn’t say when the cancellations start, I had to find that out here.

Attachments

• E6116290-676E-4C42-A3A1-0408AD6A404F.jpeg
    E6116290-676E-4C42-A3A1-0408AD6A404F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back