Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows if all the cuts are loaded yet but so far the only state-supported stuff I find are the first and last Hiawatha cancelled and one CHI-CDL trip (morning Saluki south, evening Illini north). No impact -- at least so far -- on Lincoln Service, Cascades, Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sanburg, the Downeasters, any Michigan services Pac Surfliner, San Joaquins, Capitols, Piedmonts.

You could take the Lake Shore Limited to New York, it's the "clean up" Train for Eastern Connections

Sadly headed south... Charlotte NC - so that's not really an option. Now with the snow and ice of Izzy I have just decided to stick in Chicago til Tuesday. :) Then Cardinal>Crescent.

I just looked and it appears that both 19 and 20 have been canceled for January 15th - January 19th (all 5 days)

EDIT: I was looking all the way to New Orleans. I wasn't aware that it usually terminates in ATL around this time. The route is only canceled for January 15th.

Amtrak booked me on train 19 for the 19th today, southbound... FWIW.

Who knows if all the cuts are loaded yet but so far the only state-supported stuff I find are the first and last Hiawatha cancelled and one CHI-CDL trip (morning Saluki south, evening Illini north). No impact -- at least so far -- on Lincoln Service, Cascades, Illinois Zephyr/Carl Sanburg, the Downeasters, any Michigan services Pac Surfliner, San Joaquins, Capitols, Piedmonts.

The departure arrival board at Chicago Union Station today was... odd! And it was confusing people because - for example - the SW Chief was cancelled but only one direction (to CHI) and someone was fretting they were cancelled (from CHI)... Hiawathas and EBs and more but it seemed odd that it was a mix of east/west bound trains. You had to read the boards VERY carefully!

I believe the Crescent was also canceled. I had a reservation on the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Alexandria on Sunday, and it was canceled along with the Crescent.

We would have passed each other in Charlottesville, me disembarking with you boarding. :)

Enough from me now... I should have combined all these!

Amtrak booked me on train 19 for the 19th today, southbound... FWIW.
Yeah, 19 is only canceled for Saturday and Sunday. I originally said it was canceled for all 5 days because I was looking at NYP-NOL, rather than ATL where it is currently terminating.

However, this situation may be due to staff shortage to carry out usual overnight maintenance and inspections. We don't know for sure.

Jis I believe you have hit the rail on the head. Have been following the Amtrak employment site for last 2 months. Only once have I seen just one opening for maintenance personnel. OBS all crafts about 10 - 12. T&E about 6.

Yeah, 19 is only canceled for Saturday and Sunday. I originally said it was canceled for all 5 days because I was looking at NYP-NOL, rather than ATL where it is currently terminating.

If 19 is cancelled on Sunday from NYP there will be no train set in ATL for Monday night #20 departure. Must be some other schedule.

I just read an article on Trains.com that said a number of routes are going to change - or be cancelled entirely - through the end of March. I am scheduled to depart of the Southwest Chief on March 10 to connect to the Capitol Limited and then the Silver Meteor to get to Fort Lauderdale for a cruise. Yuk. Should I just wait to hear from Amtrak or should I take the initiative and see what alternatives I may have?
Wait till they announce which days trains will not be running. You may need to allow an overnight in Wash DC between the Cap & the Star, if the Cap is running late, but you don’t know yet how the connection between the SWC & Cap might be affected.

Last edited:
Wait till they announce which days trains will not be running. You will need to allow an overnight in Wash DC between the Cap & the Star, but you don’t know yet how the connection between the SWC & Cap might be affected.
There is a guaranteed connection from the CL to the SS, so no overnight is required in Washington. There isn't a guaranteed connection in the reverse direction though.

There is a guaranteed connection from the CL to the SS, so no overnight is required in Washington. There isn't a guaranteed connection in the reverse direction though.
Ok I thought someone said there wasn't. Though it's still a risky connection if the CL is running late.

This was posted on the Amtrak site Friday evening (1/14).

Modified Service in Advance of Winter Storm

January 14, 2022

In preparation for the forecasted winter storm in the Eastern U.S. and out of an abundance of caution for the safety of our customers and employees, Amtrak has made the following temporary service adjustments for Saturday. January. 15 – Monday. January. 17:

Saturday. January. 15

• Crescent trains 19 & 20 (operating between New York and New Orleans) are canceled
• Silver Service/Palmetto trains 91 & 92 (operating between New York and Miami) are canceled
• Cardinal train 50 (operating between New York and Chicago) is canceled
• Capitol Limited train 30 (operating between Washington, D.C. and Chicago) is canceled.
• City of New Orleans trains 58 & 59 (operating between Chicago and New Orleans) is canceled
• Texas Eagle trains 21 & 22 (operating between San Antonio, Tx. and Chicago) is canceled

Sunday. January 16
• Cardinal train 51 (operating between New York and Chicago) is canceled
• Capitol Limited train 29 (operating between Washington, D.C. and Chicago) is canceled.
• Crescent trains 19 & 20 (operating between New York and New Orleans) are canceled
• Northeast Regional train 147 (operating between Springfield, Mass. to Roanoke, Va.) is canceled
• Pennsylvanian train 43 (operating between Pittsburgh, Pa. and New York) is canceled
• PiedMondayt/Carolinian trains 79 & 80 (operating between New York and Charlotte, N.C.) are canceled
• PiedMondayt/Carolinian trains 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 & 78 (operating between Raleigh, N.C. and Charlotte, N.C.) are canceled

Monday. January 17
• Northeast Regional train 156 (operating between New York and Roanoke, Va.) is canceled
• Keystone Service trains 660, 661, 662 & 615 (operating between Harrisburg and New York) are canceled
• Keystone Service train 667 (operating between Harrisburg and New York) will originate in Philadelphia
• Pennsylvanian train 42 (operating between Pittsburgh, Pa. and New York) is canceled

Here is what you can do to stay informed:
• Call 1-800-USA-RAIL if your trip has been impacted and change and cancelation fees will be waived
• Visit Amtrak.com or download the Amtrak app for the latest information on train status
• Subscribe to delay alerts for any train via email or text message at Amtrak.com/DelayAlerts
• Follow @AmtrakNEC and @AmtrakAlerts on Twitter for real-time service information on Amtrak trains

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

The only other state-supported cuts I'm seeing so far:

1x Empire Service New York - Albany
1x New Haven - Springfield
1x Washington - Newport News

• Silver Service/Palmetto trains 91 & 92 (operating between New York and Miami) are canceled
• Cardinal train 50 (operating between New York and Chicago) is canceled
• Capitol Limited train 30 (operating between Washington, D.C. and Chicago) is canceled.
• City of New Orleans trains 58 & 59 (operating between Chicago and New Orleans) is canceled
• Texas Eagle trains 21 & 22 (operating between San Antonio, Tx. and Chicago) is canceled

1) Presumably the Lake Shore Limited is still running?

2) Is this storm expected to be particularly bad, or are these sweeping cancellations across a major swath of the nation a "cat will also avoid a cold stove" effect from the Congressional attention from the extreme delays in the recent storm?

In the case of the Downeaster service it is NOT "state supported", it is paid for lock, stock, and barrel by the Northern New England Passenger Rail
Authority (NNEPRA). Amtrak as the contracted operator runs the trains on schedules set by the NNEPRA, so if Amtrak states that it can not operate the present schedule, it would owe funds back to the NNEPRA.

Ken

2) Is this storm expected to be particularly bad, or are these sweeping cancellations across a major swath of the nation a "cat will also avoid a cold stove" effect from the Congressional attention from the extreme delays in the recent storm?
Very significant combination of snow and ice storm followed by deep freeze is expected in areas that these trains operate through. Clearly Amtrak does not want to have another weekend of horrors.

Ok I thought someone said there wasn't. Though it's still a risky connection if the CL is running late.
I had just pointed out that it was only a 2-hour connection, and made a snarky remark.

Looking at ASMAD, during the past 30 days, CL was 2 hours late or later into WAS on 3 days. On none of those occasions was the Star held for connections (again according to ASMAD.) So, I don't know how Amtrak accommodated passengers and their checked baggage making that connection, but I would have been biting my nails if it were me.

I had just pointed out that it was only a 2-hour connection, and made a snarky remark.

Looking at ASMAD, during the past 30 days, CL was 2 hours late or later into WAS on 3 days. On none of those occasions was the Star held for connections (again according to ASMAD.) So, I don't know how Amtrak accommodated passengers and their checked baggage making that connection, but I would have been biting my nails if it were me.
When the Meteor is running it is usually easy to accommodate Star misconnects. When it is not, I hope they will hold the Star for a reasonable time. Afterall there are no other significant critical connections downstream on the Star that will be jeopardized.

"The governors of Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina all issued emergency declarations on Friday. All advised residents to prepare before the storm moves in."

"West Virginia in 'State of Preparedness'"

https://weather.com/news/news/2022-...y-travel-roads-airports-schools-power-outages

Just got the email that our monthly trips "home" on the Empire Builder (Tomah to Chicago) are cancelled in Jan, Feb, and March. Dang! I have not seen any official postings or schedules on the cuts, but for the Empire Builder... it seems #7 out of Chicago is cancelled on Thursdays and Fridays. And the #8 into Chicago on Saturdays and Sundays is cancelled. Why would they not space out the cancellations and do them two days in a row? (Perhaps to get conductors home and not stuck in a hotel for two days is my only guess)... And too bad you can not come in for the weekend anymore. The reservation system is all screwed up still... FYI. It shows #8 cancelled, but #28 still available to book. Get your stuff together, Amtrak!! Guess we will be driving "home" more?

Attachments

• eb.JPG
    eb.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I was thinking the least disruptive days might be Tuesday - Thursday or maybe a Wednesday instead.

Friday ?

I'm looking at my future route....sampled several dates

Looks like CONO is being cancelled both directions on Saturday and Sunday through March....

Looks like Coast Starlight is being cancelled in both directions on Wednesday and Thursday through March...

Can't see anything for Empire Builder yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back