Amtrak management does not want for profit language removed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today’s WSJ:

Rep. Peter DeFazio (D., Ore.), the chairman of the House Transportation Committee, has questioned Mr. Anderson’s profit-focused philosophy altogether, arguing that is more appropriate to the private sector than to a government-owned company like Amtrak.

“I think part of the problem we’re dealing with is the original mandate from Congress, which said that this is supposed to be run as a for-profit corporation,” Mr. DeFazio said. “I think they should think about efficiency but not profit…Amtrak is a service, and it can be a better service.”

“The railroad’s leaders reject that notion.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/surging-amtrak-seeks-green-light-from-congress-11577889706

More proof Anderson and Board don’t have any business running a company for the common good.

Like I've said in many instances, you can't run a public service with a for profit motive. They need to be separate. It's ok to have private railroads, but in the context of passenger service, you need to accept that the for profit sector will not serve certain markets. It's the same argument as having a public Postal Service, it is meant to serve everyone, a private company won't do that. A public not for profit entity can provide transit as a public service and not bilk everyone if properly structured to do so.

Actually the "as a for profit" was inserted in PRRIA. Before that it was simply "a for profit" AFAIR. Jim Matthews of RPA has written long essays on this change and thinks that this change was a huge one and removes the requirement for actually making a profit. I think it is sophistry, but what do I know about the great minds on the Hill?

Notwithstanding all the grandstanding by individual Congresspeople, the fundamental problem has been Congress' unwillingness to put the money where their mouth occasionally ventures into. We'll see what they do this time. Words are cheap and WSJ will print anything that will bolster sales and increase the number of clicks. If Congress is serious they should create a Trust Fund that provides at least a baseline of ongoing funding that is not subject to the whims and fancies of random individuals every year. My bet is they will do nothing of the sort.

Back