Amtrak Mask Mandate - Practical Discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both ways on the Silver Star in late April in a bedroom we didn’t wear a mask until attendant came in. No problem. Door closed, curtain was not closed. Getting on Crescent today, we’ll see what happens.

No issue on not always masking up for a smoke break. We don’t smoke but getting fresh air was good, away from the other passengers. Can’t smoke through a mask anyway so seems even-handed to allow fresh air too.

No issue on not always masking up for a smoke break. We don’t smoke but getting fresh air was good, away from the other passengers. Can’t smoke through a mask anyway so seems even-handed to allow fresh air too.
I am on 98 and during the stop in WAS, I walked to the front of the train to watch the engine swap. There were numerous smokers on the platform. I was wearing a mask, which helped filter the smoke as I walked through the crowds.
I am in a sleeper and most of the time I am not wearing a mask in my room. I keep it under my chin so I can easily lift it up if necessary. I did not sleep with my mask on (and of course, my door and curtains were closed overnight).

I am on 98 and during the stop in WAS, I walked to the front of the train to watch the engine swap. There were numerous smokers on the platform. I was wearing a mask, which helped filter the smoke as I walked through the crowds.
I am in a sleeper and most of the time I am not wearing a mask in my room. I keep it under my chin so I can easily lift it up if necessary. I did not sleep with my mask on (and of course, my door and curtains were closed overnight).
Im liking the mask helping with the cigarette smoke.

I am on 97 now in a sleeper. The AC was not working in my sleeper car. It may (or may not) have been fixed in WAS. It is still warm inside my room so my door is open. For comfort, my mask was below my nose. The conductor came by and told me either to close my door or put my mask all the way on. She was correct, but I am in a bedroom and no one is anywhere near me and it is Amtrak's fault that I am hot. I am obeying the rules but sure hope it gets cooler in here so I do not have to wear the mask all night. I am not real happy now.

Can you close the curtains while leaving the door open? That would prevent anyone from seeing your face.
I guess I could but the conductor did not give me that option and I do not want to disobey her. It is slowly cooling off so I hope to close the door soon. I was thinking about removing my shirt and sitting in my sports bra (and mask) to see what kind of reaction that would get, but decided against it.

I am on 97 now in a sleeper. The AC was not working in my sleeper car. It may (or may not) have been fixed in WAS. It is still warm inside my room so my door is open. For comfort, my mask was below my nose. The conductor came by and told me either to close my door or put my mask all the way on. She was correct, but I am in a bedroom and no one is anywhere near me and it is Amtrak's fault that I am hot. I am obeying the rules but sure hope it gets cooler in here so I do not have to wear the mask all night. I am not real happy now.
I’m still on 97. I just walked from the 12 car to the dining car. Most of the doors to the rooms were open and most of the passengers in those rooms were maskless. Apparently the current conductor is more lenient than the one last night (or he has more important things to do than monitor mask wearing in the sleepers.
I’m sitting in a roomette that is much cooler than my hot bedroom (AC failed again). The door is open and I am masked.

Apparently the current conductor is more lenient than the one last night (or he has more important things to do than monitor mask wearing in the sleepers.

Given your previous experience with the Conductor, common sense is a rare commodity among Amtrak Conductors as well as with some of the rest of our citizens.

I guess I could but the conductor did not give me that option and I do not want to disobey her. It is slowly cooling off so I hope to close the door soon. I was thinking about removing my shirt and sitting in my sports bra (and mask) to see what kind of reaction that would get, but decided against it.
Maybe you should have offered to give her a Yoga Lesson to Chill her out Penny!😄

Sorry to hear about a Brand New Car being a Lemon,and a Common sense Lacking Conductor Power Tripping!🤬

I've been wondering what people's experience has been with wearing a mask in overnight coach. Has it disturbed your ability to sleep, which is already difficult in coach in normal times. Also, what's it like being masked for the duration of a 20+ hour long-distance trip. Since the start of the pandemic, I haven't needed to wear a mask for more than a couple hours a day.

I've been wondering what people's experience has been with wearing a mask in overnight coach. Has it disturbed your ability to sleep, which is already difficult in coach in normal times. Also, what's it like being masked for the duration of a 20+ hour long-distance trip. Since the start of the pandemic, I haven't needed to wear a mask for more than a couple hours a day.
It definitely bothered me on my overnight trip in Coach from Alpine to Austin!

Maybe I’m ignorant but I can’t imagine anyone using a CPAP machine while in coach!
If you ever heard someone who needs a CPAP machine sleeping w/o one, you will wish they did.
There are two types of apneas -
obstructive - airway blocked - helps to be sitting up
central - brain forgets to breathe - doesn't help to be sitting up

I’m still on 97. I just walked from the 12 car to the dining car. Most of the doors to the rooms were open and most of the passengers in those rooms were maskless. Apparently the current conductor is more lenient than the one last night (or he has more important things to do than monitor mask wearing in the sleepers.
I’m sitting in a roomette that is much cooler than my hot bedroom (AC failed again). The door is open and I am masked.
AC failing in VL-II Sleepers already? They have hardly even been in service just a few months. Where did they buy their air conditioners from? Russia?

What do you do if you have a CPAP machine? I use a nasal mask which allows air to go out from the nose and does nothing to stop air in or out of the mouth?
Is it ADA time again?
You can be denied ADA accommodation if it can endanger the health or safety of those around you. A number of studies have said that a CPAP does that. I know that there was lots of research into filtration devices that would assist the patient both with the inhaled as well as exhaled air, but really haven't followed what if anything came of it. I

Someone mentioned the mask mandate. I've forgotten when the current mandate expires. Does anyone know?
A quick Google search says the latest expiration date is March 18, but of course that may change again:

President Joe Biden announced Thursday an extension of the Transportation Security Administration's mandate, which requires travelers to mask up on airplanes, trains, buses and in airports and train stations, through March 18. This will be the third extension since the mandate was first implemented on Feb. 1. -- USA Today, Dec 2, 2021

Back