Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone been in the Chicago metropolitan lounge very recently to comment on food offerings at lunch time? Will be there next week.

It's just cans of pop and bags of chips, things like that. For a real meal though I have come to like Jersey Mike's in Union Station, they actually have a great cheesesteak.

It's just cans of pop and bags of chips, things like that. For a real meal though I have come to like Jersey Mike's in Union Station, they actually have a great cheesesteak.
Jersey Mikes is my choice for lunch waiting on a Westbound train. Eastbound,the CONO and the Eagle it's lunch and dinner

No Chef Pierre blueberry muffins?? Those are good!
While we’re on the subject, I am currently an AGR Select member. When I was in the Philadelphia lounge last year, the attendant told me I can get access to the lounge even if I’m not going on a sleeper—just with a valid Amtrak ticket. Is that true?

While we’re on the subject, I am currently an AGR Select member. When I was in the Philadelphia lounge last year, the attendant told me I can get access to the lounge even if I’m not going on a sleeper—just with a valid Amtrak ticket. Is that true?
It’s not unless you use a Select coupon. I think.

Select plus and select executive have access to Amtrak lounges when traveling on Amtrak regardless of their travel accommodation. However if they let you in ... enter and enjoy!

Overall, the AGR program has been greatly devalued... it takes 12,000 points to 'score' a $100 certificate for the two included hotel groups.... That, along with all the terms and conditions of usage... it is a very poor value. With everything else at Amtrak 'tanking' the AGR program is also effected. As a 'top tier' Select Executive my hold times are endless... and like everyone else I can't get through. I do find that traveling on Amtrak is extremely difficult and frustrating. Will I prequalify again next year??? With such sky high prices, cancellations, poor staff attitudes, cancellations of services, etc etc etc... uh donno!

Select plus and select executive have access to Amtrak lounges when traveling on Amtrak regardless of their travel accommodation. However if they let you in ... enter and enjoy!

Overall, the AGR program has been greatly devalued... it takes 12,000 points to 'score' a $100 certificate for the two included hotel groups.... That, along with all the terms and conditions of usage... it is a very poor value. With everything else at Amtrak 'tanking' the AGR program is also effected. As a 'top tier' Select Executive my hold times are endless... and like everyone else I can't get through. I do find that traveling on Amtrak is extremely difficult and frustrating. Will I prequalify again next year??? With such sky high prices, cancellations, poor staff attitudes, cancellations of services, etc etc etc... uh donno!

I only use my points for Amtrak travel. Nothing else.

I got a question. Are sleeper car riders allowed in the lounge at WAS? Last time, i was there. I though it was only for clubacela
Yes, sleeper passengers as well as Acela First Class passengers are permitted in the lounge. I believe the lounge was rebranded as a Metropolitan Lounge. It was formerly called Club Acela. I do not think there was a time when sleeper passengers were not permitted in the lounge (at least not in my memory).

Sleeper passengers have always been allowed in Club Acelas and Metropolitan Lounges. Which name is used is and was immaterial. At one point, all the lounges on the NEC were rebranded as Club Acelas and only those off the NEC retained the Metropolitan Lounge name. Now the NEC lounges are getting renamed back to Metropolitan Lounges.

The lounge admission policies are thoroughly unrelated to the name.

I was a BC passenger and used the CHI Metropolitan Lounge (may have been named something else) and it was different each time. Since the BC passenger is charged up to $35 why not include $10-$15 in food and drink. Many BC passengers want the baggage check to explore Chicago:

I’ll be in a CS sleeper PDX to LAX looking forward to PDX - sleeper first timer - haha. - 4K vid.

12/2017 - $25 No shower facility. Three TVs blaring very loud, unlimited soda, half hour beer/wine happy hour, chips, bags checked - went for a nice brisket down the street
12/2019 - $30 used the new showers, soda and chips, mixed nuts I think, no happy hour, quieter TVs, baggage check, taxi to a deli.
06/2021 - $35 Didn’t want shower, (covid thing) scant soda and bulk snacks? The sub shop in the food court was good (long line)

Thanks for a good thread, I’ve learned a lot especially about PDX and LAX (I hate the ramps).

If you give a passenger $10-15 worth of food and/or drinks, on a BC ticket out of Chicago you will lose money hand over fist.

From your earlier posts I know you’re NOT happy with mixing BC passengers in the Metropolitan Lounge. My 12/2017 CHI/Coach (end to end TE/LSL) had a lounge separate ftom Sleeper class. Mainly I wanted the baggage check - ticket access only- minor amenities - but I had time to see and dine in Chicago.

If Amtrak is/was willing in CHI to expense and staff a separate ticket access BC Lounge like the very nice “Waiting Area” at Moynihan/NYP - I’m fine with that. On my 84 hour trip even the BC lounge at $25 was a luxury except for the sound of three TVs blaring...

... therefore CHI should have some kind of all-passenger ticket access lounge ... many people are on four day journeys like you and me.

I have absolutely no problem with mixing BC passengers with Sleeper passengers in lounges where size works. I just think that it is not possible for just the BC upcharge over coach to support a Moynihan style food service. On the NEC where all Acela coach is BC, it wouldn't work for space limitations. Amtrak had a paid lounge in Chicago for a while, it just didn't pan out. There were better options in the station or surrounding area, and the hoped for non Amtrak commuter crowd really never materialized to the extent needed. Other than the Lake is there any BC in Chicago that is not State subsidized? A BC ticket on those trains does not include food. A decent ticketed passenger only waiting area in a station where space allows is entirely reasonable. NYP old side had one, using BC on Empire Service pretty often, I found it very useful.

A decent ticketed passenger only waiting area in a station where space allows is entirely reasonable. NYP old side had one, using BC on Empire Service pretty often, I found it very useful.
Isn't the ticketed passenger lounge still there on the old side? I presume you are talking of the fenced off area between the rotunda and the boarding concourse in the old complex?

Yes that's it. I don't know, I haven't been through there recently. There is a new area on the Moynihan side, some have complained it is too small. The old one, fenced off with the glass panels I used a number of times.

I'm glad, it was very useful. Also, over the years, the Amtrak level restrooms improved (not pretty, but you no longer felt skeevy just being in there. Moving the police desk over to that side seemed to help as well. I don't believe NJT riders could use it before. I'll have to make it a point to walk through and look.

I'm glad, it was very useful. Also, over the years, the Amtrak level restrooms improved (not pretty, but you no longer felt skeevy just being in there. Moving the police desk over to that side seemed to help as well. I don't believe NJT riders could use it before. I'll have to make it a point to walk through and look.
What's more, because of all the publicity regarding the Moynihan Hall, the sitting areas in the old complex may actually be less crowded.

Many of the NJT passengers seem to like to get sardine packed crowded in the NJT East Concourse instead of spreading out across the station. All NJT platforms are accessible from the 8th Ave concourse.

For Amtrak passengers using the Met Lounge of course the MTH makes sense, but for the rest, the old 8th Ave. Concourse should work just fine and may sometimes even be closer to the train.

I didn’t see the old NYP ticketed passenger waiting area. The one on the main concourse looks small but there are two large rooms There is no cost but tix access only - buy amenities like cold sodas/water - comfortable benches and excellent Amtrak staff. [BTW Cuomo had his chest out when Moynihan opened - the NYS taxpayer prolly paid a good-sized portion.]

As far as CHIs Metro Lounge/ Amtrak should
charge thru-ticket Coach class what ever works to pay for a caterer... maybe $50. Something theat would please sleeper class.. A hot table would be an attraction... and a good Bloody Mary.

Last edited:
Below is part of the inside of the Ticketed Passengers Waiting Area at the new Moynihan Train Hall. The Danish design is very pleasing although different in comfort of the MTH Metropolitan Lounge. Also shown is signage in the distance for ticket passenger’s waiting area in MTH (the pic is from a vid). It’s hard to tell the actual size of the waiting area. [PS - the line of people that is shown by the waiting area - it starts at camera - but gone is in a New York minute].

369883EA-83ED-4CAB-9293-42C75498E65E.jpegB0A14CA7-5031-420F-B584-7301D8A31E11.png

I am at the Chicago metropolitan lounge right now. Just prepackaged snacks and chips.
Considering Chicago is the major hub of Amtrak,there should be food and drink offerings like Moynihan Lounge. Sadly,Chicago isn't in the NE Corridor. At least there are many options inside Union Station. I usually buy a sub from Jersey Mikes and bring it inside the lounge. Great popcorn near a bar is another option. The aroma of that popcorn always entices me.

Back