Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as the door is unlocked you should be able to enter with no problem. I’ve never seen it locked except for after the last train in the evening.

Nope, any time you arrive or depart a station. Go as much as you like.

Thanks, if the lounge is unstaffed are we still allowed to enter in the morning?
Btw, the hours printed on the door of the Portland lounge say it’s open from 7:15a-8pm

Basic drinks*** - costs uncertain - I am a frugal sort and wait for any free stuff put out by Amtrak (which is not a great deal)
I learned on this trip that there is a snack attendant living behind a little door near the end of the former buffet table. The attendant at the front desk told me that if I wanted bottled water, to knock on the door and say "Joe sent me" (that last part, not really.):)

Wait, seriously? The Los Angeles lounge is for Pacific Surfliner business class, too?
Well, I know how I'm taking the Surfliner next time!
Not any more, I think. Amtrak's main site mentions you need to purchase a day pass, and the Pacific Surfliner doesn't make mention of the lounge for Business Class.

LA's lounge is cramped for space and doesn't really offer much except snacks, soft drinks/water/coffee, and a potentially quieter experience waiting for the train.

Last edited:
Will be in Chicago June 6, since I've seen some trouble in Chicago I won't be leaving the station. I'm traveling coach so I guess I'll be paying for the lounge.

Will be in Chicago June 6, since I've seen some trouble in Chicago I won't be leaving the station. I'm traveling coach so I guess I'll be paying for the lounge.
I would not decide today what to do in June.
I walked up Adams to the El and back yesterday mid-day with a couple of stops in stores and stopping to take pictures. I felt safe.

I was in Chicago this past week and have Select Plus status, but I was turned away. Evidently Amtrak is restricting lounge access to only Select Executive going forward, although no signage nor the website reflect this.

I was in Chicago this past week and have Select Plus status, but I was turned away. Evidently Amtrak is restricting lounge access to only Select Executive going forward, although no signage nor the website reflect this.
If I was told that I'd be on the phone with AGR immediately. I wouldn't accept that without that being written somewhere or a manager explaining why the change was made. Considering most people with AGR status are on the east coast anyways I don't know why they'd even bother to restrict it for people with status.

Did you have a Same Day Amtrak Ticket( Coach,Business or Sleeper) which is required to enter the Lounges regardless of your Status???

Did you have a same day ticket?

Did you meet any of these conditions?

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

Who is Eligible for Lounge Access?​

• Amtrak Guest Rewards members traveling with a same-day Amtrak ticket and valid Select Plus or Select Executive member card.
  • Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations.
  • Amtrak Business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) may use the lounges in Chicago, Portland and St. Louis. Business class passengers on the Pacific Surfliner will need to purchase a day pass to use the lounge in Los Angeles - Union Station.
  • Complimentary Single-Visit Station Lounge Pass holders may access ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge and Unstaffed Lounge locations.
  • Private car owners/lessee and party between time of arrival and departure specified in the reservation. Provide your reservation number to the Amtrak representative upon entry.
    • Due to space restrictions, private car owners and their groups are not permitted in the Los Angeles - Union Station Metropolitan Lounge.

Sounds like arriving at conclusions with inadequate information to support the conclusion to me ;) See @AmtrakBlue 's post above.

I keep thinking Amtrak will eventually just allow Select Executive with a same day ticket into the lounges. Hope I m wrong. I have had Select Plus for four years. Getting to Executive is too pricey for me.

Sounds like arriving at conclusions with inadequate information to support the conclusion to me ;) See @AmtrakBlue 's post above.

I am not just arriving at conclusions; this is what the lounge attendant told me. He repeated after I showed him my same-day ticket and Select Plus status. He was visibly annoyed after I asked two or three times because I wanted to understand him correctly. Even if you have a same-day ticket, you are not allowed in unless you have Select Executive status. However, sleeper accommodations will gain you access.

I am not just arriving at conclusions; this is what the lounge attendant told me. He repeated after I showed him my same-day ticket and Select Plus status. He was visibly annoyed after I asked two or three times because I wanted to understand him correctly. Even if you have a same-day ticket, you are not allowed in unless you have Select Executive status. However, sleeper accommodations will gain you access.
That may still be a case of yet another free-range Amtrak employee misinterpreting rules or even making them up. Especially in Chicago, they are not uncommon.

I'd call Customer Relations, tell them about the incident, and ask them.

I'd not take the word of a Chicago gate dragon as gospel, although I do think you were right not to press it further than you did at the time.

That may still be a case of yet another free-range Amtrak employee misinterpreting rules or even making them up. Especially in Chicago, they are not uncommon.

I'd call Customer Relations, tell them about the incident, and ask them.

I'd not take the word of a Chicago gate dragon as gospel, although I do think you were right not to press it further than you did at the time.
Indeed Chicago is quite notorious for perpetrating such nonsense.

Back