Amtrak Michigan Line

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakpass

Service Attendant
I have heard that Amtrak will take over dispatching on the Michigan Line from Kalamazoo to Battle Creek tomorrow in addition to what they already control from Porter to Kalamazoo. If there is another michigan line thread, feel free to merge them.

My understanding is that it already happened this past Sunday.

EDIT: My understanding was wrong. There was a computer system changeover on Sunday that enabled the dispatching to switch. However, the actual dispatching did indeed switch today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you heard if Amtrak will put ITCS in effect as far as battle creek and/or raise the track speed anytime soon?

I heard Amtrak assumed control of the Michigan line dispatching all the way to Ypsilanti within the last week or so there is just the remaining 20 miles or so to Dearborn to finish the transfer. Just speculation but I would guess once that is complete sometime this spring the speeds might be increased after a period of testing

I remain curious as to how far Amtrak dispatching will extend. The state bought the line as far as Dearborn, but from Dearborn through the new curve at West Detroit Junction is -- despite being Conrail track -- pretty much only used by Amtrak, and the new curve goes straight into CN trackage. (Detroit station is on the "CN side", not the "Conrail side".) I'm guessing once dispatching is extended to Dearborn, NS will be out and the dispatching will hand off directly to CN at West Detroit. There may be something I don't know about the Conrail/CN dispatching arrangements in Detroit, though,.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back