Amtrak NEC Disruption WIL-BAL 10-9-12

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorbett70

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
The Northeast corridor between Baltimore and Wilmington has been disrupted between Baltimore and Wilmington since the wee hours this morning. Signs at 30th Street Philadelphia said "wire problems."

- Protect equipment for some trains PHL-NYP

- Big crowd lining up for rental cars at PHL

- Acela trains turning at Wilmington going back as protect sets WIL to New York

- It appears the first train south is 67 with a diesel engine leaving PHL about now.

- No apparent impact to SEPTA since I was on train 9212 regular equipment between 30th St and Center City and it appeared to be on its regular schedule out of Newark, DE.

The catenary problem causing all this is just south of Aberdeen MD, so no effect on SEPTA. But MARC Perryville service is most likely affected to some extent even if being run with diesel traction.

More details:

.... between Perryman MP70 to Edgewood. As we speak there's roughly 5 to 7 hours of wire repair work to complete in the area, most of which is in Wood Interlocking in downtown Edgewood Md. Track 4 was just given back OK at maximum speed. There's a plan in place to turn trains up to 12noon, some at Wilmington and some at Philadelphia.

Pretty serious disruption and at the start of the work week to boot. Not a good day for those traveling on the southern end of the NEC.

A cold front pushed through the region on Sunday. Looking at the NWS 3 day temperature history for Martin airport, the temperature hit a high of 81 degrees mid-day on Saturday and a low of 39 degrees early Monday morning with cold rainy weather. Have to wonder if the temperature shift was a factor in or the primary cause of the catenary failure.

Based on Tweets from an ESPN New York reporter (Andrew Marchand @AndrewMarchand), it sounds like the Yankees charter from Baltimore to New York got caught up in the mess this morning. A press event at Yankee Stadium was cancelled due to "transportation issues." The ESPN reporter bailed on Amtrak and rented a car with some others, then get caught in another mess on I-95.

A particularly humorous reply suggested that Joe Girardi demote Amtrak to a lower spot in the batting order. No idea if Amtrak is having issues hitting a fast ball.

At 5:00 when 97 was boarding to Fla. They were accepting tickets for 2163, 2165, and 173. Adding a stop at BWI but not NCR. 2165 was listed as an hour late as well as 173. 2163 was listed as an hour but was later listed as "delayed". 2163's equipment starts out of BOS and turns on 2126. They were using protect sets all day.. 2172 arrived PHL 20 minutes late and it's currently about 30 minutes down out of PVD. I took a turn through 30th Street when 2124 was boarding.. It was about 5 minutes late. But I think the big story here is Boston service was also effected that didn't even come from DC.

At 5:00 when 97 was boarding to Fla. They were accepting tickets for 2163, 2165, and 173. Adding a stop at BWI but not NCR. 2165 was listed as an hour late as well as 173. 2163 was listed as an hour but was later listed as "delayed". 2163's equipment starts out of BOS and turns on 2126. They were using protect sets all day.. 2172 arrived PHL 20 minutes late and it's currently about 30 minutes down out of PVD. I took a turn through 30th Street when 2124 was boarding.. It was about 5 minutes late. But I think the big story here is Boston service was also effected that didn't even come from DC.
One minor correction, train 2121 turns for 2126 normally, as it did yesterday.

One minor correction, train 2121 turns for 2126 normally, as it did yesterday.
Oops looked at the timing wrong.

My H rode the 175 yesterday from BOS - PVD and it was fine. It left BOS on time.

My H rode the 175 yesterday from BOS - PVD and it was fine. It left BOS on time.
By 3 trains were running normally out of BOS.. But trains were effected early till around in the day. 2167 was running 30 minutes late. 137 was 5 minutes late out of PHL. They lost time enroute primally. But they were still hit and hit big. 173 was an hour down by NHV and left BOS on time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back