Amtrak needs H570 back!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigval109

OBS Chief
Amtrak needs H570 back. It produced a lot of revenue and a sharp increase in ridership. As for me it allowed me to ride more and further. Did anyone else use H570 to travel more ? :)

Ok let me be to ask the stupid question but what the H*** is H570 ?? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
It was a discount code that Amtrak offered last year in an effort to get Amtrak Guest Rewards members who hadn't been riding lately, to once again ride the trains. It offered 25% off whatever the current ticket price was. It ended up in public hands however and everyone was using it, even if they weren't an AGR member. After the code appeared in an issue of Frommers, Amtrak locked it down forcing people to call up and to pick up the ticket from a live agent and show their AGR card. It expired in September of last year IIRC.

Amtrak needs H570 back. It produced a lot of revenue and a sharp increase in ridership. As for me it allowed me to ride more and further. Did anyone else use H570 to travel more ? :)
Did you use it legally or illegally?

Ok let me be to ask the stupid question but what the H*** is H570 ?? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:
It expired in September of last year IIRC.
I think it was available until 12/15, at least under the revised rules of three day purchase, pick up in person, etc etc etc. I used it to go to San Diego back in August and it was great. Maybe ridership is up and they don't feel the need to offer 25% discount. For example, when I went to San Diego back in December, the rate from ABQ to FUL was only $50 - and that was peak season. I got my 25% off of that rate, too. But this January, I looked out about three months or so and the lowest bucket rate for the same leg was $61 and NO discount (other than the permanent few). And this is the off-peak season.

I think ridership was less on my trip last week than in the Summer, but again, it's off peak. I think there should have been discounts, and I think that is partially why I got called by Outbound Marketing to get a reduced-fare sleeper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to concur with LakeShoreLimited and AlanB regarding this topic. H570 was misused quite heavily because of the reasons listed previously in this thread, and I serious;y doubt that it, or a code like it, will see the light of day again. I guess I'll content myself with the NARP discount for my tickets.

Last edited by a moderator:
The code wasn't the problem. The lack of a linkage on the web site between entry of the code and entry (and confirmation) of a valid AGR number was the problem. That's Amtrak's responsibility to set up, and, like a lot of other things, they blew it in that respect. There is no problem, in today's technology, in implementing something like that on the web site in such a way that it would require entry of a valid AGR number (and they could check that against the name of the customer buying the ticket, if they wanted to) for any use of the code. They chose not to do that, and THAT is the problem, not the indiscriminate or "illegal" use of the code. The failure was Amtrak's, not anybody else's. Don't blame the consumer if they take advantage of a loophole caused by a company's negligence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back