Amtrak offers 20% off in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

had8ley

Engineer
All right all you die hard AU riders (no Dave, you don't count because all you do is AGR) Amtrak is offering 20% off on coach tickets good for travel through April. It's the slow time of the Amtrak travel year (if it doesn't snow on the NEC again) so pack your bags and we'll see you at the station. :cool:

Wait, is this for ALL Amtrak travel or just in the North East?

And where is the coupon/code for this? :lol:

All right all you die hard AU riders (no Dave, you don't count because all you do is AGR) Amtrak is offering 20% off on coach tickets good for travel through April. It's the slow time of the Amtrak travel year (if it doesn't snow on the NEC again) so pack your bags and we'll see you at the station. :cool:

Is this the 14-day advance purchase non-refundable ticket? I think this has been around for quite some time. I bought one for a trip last year. One thing to remember is that you can't combine it with a AA discount, and you can't just add a business class accommodation charge for a business class trip, Business class fare is based on the price of a regular coach ticket, plus the accommodation charge.

The commercial that I heard specifically called out the Auto Train as an option, so it's not just the Corridor.

Edit: appears to be system wide. I just did a test booking for ATL-NOL on April 13 and April 20 (the deal is for travel before April 14). April 20 comes up as $61, April 13 comes up as $49 (which works out to 20% off the April 20 fare).

Last edited by a moderator:
The commercial that I heard specifically called out the Auto Train as an option, so it's not just the Corridor.

Edit: appears to be system wide. I just did a test booking for ATL-NOL on April 13 and April 20 (the deal is for travel before April 14). April 20 comes up as $61, April 13 comes up as $49 (which works out to 20% off the April 20 fare).
I got this from an email this morning, it appears to be a "Winter Special" thing. Slow time of year, I suppose?

From the booking page, it's limited to the LD's:

Valid on the following trains only: Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Auto Train.

Also, hi everyone, I've been lurking here for about 4 months and I finally decided to register.

It isn't system-wide - at least, it doesn't apply on the Carolinian, 79 and 80. I just tried. :angry: The fine print on this page lists the routes where it does apply:

Valid on the following trains only: Silver Star, Silver Meteor, Palmetto, Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol Limited, Lake Shore Limited, Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Southwest Chief, California Zephyr, Empire Builder, City of New Orleans, Coast Starlight, Auto Train.

I don't think it applies to the NE regional/corridor trains. Low bucket PVD - NYP is $43 so $100 NYP - BOS could be the actual low bucket price for that run.

I am looking at tickets right now for president's day weekend - just a quick run to NYP on saturday and back on Sunday - and stuff is at pretty high bucket. $140 for the NE regional - one way - from NYP - PVD that Sunday. That is I think the highest it goes.

I may try and snag a Silver on an RVR-NYP run, since in my experience, meals are relatively easy to come by on that latter segment (since the train is exclusively dumping people after Richmond). Actually, I might do Petersburg-Richmond if I do the Silver Star, because the station trip time is about the same and I'd be on the train at about 11:30 or so...early enough that lunch should be doable. That said, I'd probably prefer the Meteor in spite of its 5:00 Richmond departure time.

I don't think it applies to the NE regional/corridor trains. Low bucket PVD - NYP is $43 so $100 NYP - BOS could be the actual low bucket price for that run.

I am looking at tickets right now for president's day weekend - just a quick run to NYP on saturday and back on Sunday - and stuff is at pretty high bucket. $140 for the NE regional - one way - from NYP - PVD that Sunday. That is I think the highest it goes.
Maybe. I always take regional 67 which coast around 70 dollars.

I may try and snag a Silver on an RVR-NYP run, since in my experience, meals are relatively easy to come by on that latter segment (since the train is exclusively dumping people after Richmond). Actually, I might do Petersburg-Richmond if I do the Silver Star, because the station trip time is about the same and I'd be on the train at about 11:30 or so...early enough that lunch should be doable. That said, I'd probably prefer the Meteor in spite of its 5:00 Richmond departure time.
Actually, you have to board the Star in Petersburg, not Richmond. I recall seeing that Richmond (and North) is only to discharge passengers on the S Star. Actually it makes sense - there are so many other "coach trains at RVR, at about the exact same time (Palmetto, Carolinian, N E Regional, etc..)

However you can board the Meteor in RVR,, since it hits there at 5 AM.

EDIT: My mistake - you can board the Star in Richmond, I was thinking Petersburg was the last "Northbound stop" to pickup passengers on the Star. I thought that I had read once that RVR was "Discharge only" - but perhaps I was mistaken.

Anyway - Petersburg or RVR (northbound) is OK on the Silvers.

Not quite. The "discharge only" code is "D". The code at RVR is "L", which is a translation for "the train both picks up and drops off passengers, but it may leave early if the train is running early".

Edit: Missed your edit and thought I'd posted earlier. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd reversed a decision here; the Carolinian does pickups until Alexandria, after all, while most of the others don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back