Amtrak One-day Round trip Lodge trip - Christmas 2020

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Visitor200

Train Attendant
12-20-2020.jpg

Our annual one-day round-trip couples trip from the Amtrak station in Whitefish, Montana to rural Essex, Montana (southern portion of Glacier National Park) can be a day of total relaxation for those who choose to join us for one full day. The Amtrak round trip tickets average $26 per person.

Izaak05.jpg

Amtrak departs around 8:00 AM and arrives at Essex around 10:30 AM - which gives us enough time in the dining car for breakfast or hot chocolate.

Izaak04.jpg

Arriving at Essex the lodge is within eyesight - and we settle our belongings around the Great Room's fireplace, while some of us may venture into the adjacent dining room for a delicious and full breakfast. Or wait until brunch or lunch.

Izaak03.jpg

For adventurers, there are numerous free cross-country ski trails where the high mountain fresh snow is spectacular.

Izaak02.jpg

Aside from reading in the Great Room, there is a free outdoor spa at the lodge.

As the evening dinner time approaches, we are once again treated to an excellent choice of lodge food. (Dining room meals are very, very reasonable)

Our return Amtrak stops by the lodge around 7:15 pm for an arrival back to Whitefish by 9pm.

This is a full day, but a very relaxing day filled with morning views of the western slopes of Glacier National Park. The evening trip back is very quiet.

For your local area - you may wish to explore resort or semi-rural stops where you can layover for a day of reading and eating.

Let me know what you find.

What a lovely train journey. Unfortunately not possible for me due to COVID-19 travel restrictions. Nice pictures, though.
I agree. I would not be making this fun day trip unless it was planned for around the week of Christmas . . . which is now seven (7) months from now. Although seven months seems to be enough into the future for the COVID-19 safeguards to be in place . . . or if there are no reported cases in the area in December of this year . . . then that would work out for us, even though I would still have the Amtrak option of a full refund within their time frame.

I asked on another thread and was informed that the (ambiguous) wording on Amtrak's notice actually means that you must MAKE ANY CHANGES OR CANCELLATIONS BY MAY 31st in order to receive the full refund.

Sounds like a lovely trip for those who live within range, though. I have stayed at the Isaac Walton, and really enjoyed both the ambiance and the skiing.

Back