Amtrak Outlines Plan to Improve Ontime Performance

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately I live on a Republican street, even though my family is Democrat. My next door neighbor (who is very Republican, and has a white cross in his front yard [whether he's KKK or not I don't know but I don't think so]) put Bush signs up in his yard, so we in return put up signs that said "Anyone but Bush."

We got some good demcrats in my opinion comming up in 2004. Kerry from MA and Leberman (spelling ??) from CT. This will be my first time voting so I'll be paying attention to what each canidate has to say.

Alright guys, since I have been a bit asleep at the switch here, I have responses to several of the posts here.

First of all, I have to agree with Amfleet...I am a physics major with a 3.9 GPA at Illinois State....however, I could imagine working as a train attendant or something like that for a long time, just because I enjoy it...I enjoy the train, I enjoy people...etc, etc.

Then, as for my logo pick....I used to be sad about the new logo, because I too liked the old pointless arrow. But I am starting to come around, now that I see the new rails to the distance logo. It does seem more up to date, especially with the color scheme.

And, as for the things we want to see changed...I saw something ealier in this discussion about the Reno station attendants. Well guess what...I worked the CZ three times this summer....and each time, the attendant(s) were not there....they were sick, so no one else could do it. I had to help the conductors unload about 200 suitcases off of the baggage car (for some tour group we had) just because the station attendant wasn't there. We must have had those streets blocked for at least our legal 10 minutes....maybe even more.

Tubaallen--What are some of the other trains you work? Do you ever work The Crescent(I live in Atlanta)? Maybe I will run into you some day if you do.

Course you are in school now...Do you plan to work next summer?

LOL!!!

So, tubaallen, you were spared the meeting of the very unpleasant Mr. J. Willigham?

Condider yourself lucky! LOL!

With the arrival and departure times the California Zephyr has from Reno, I'll bet Amtrak could attract a great deal more business from the bay area if they had a competent station staff and a little planning!

If anyone's ever stuck in Reno, having to check out of their hotel at 11:00AM and wait for the eastbound CZ at 4:11PM, might I suggest the friendly folks only a block southeast of the station at "Longneck's Eatery and Spirits", on the corner of 2nd and Lake. Very friendly, good atmosphere, and great lunch specials!!!

God forbid you want to wait in the station!!! LOL!!!

Amfleet said:
We got some good demcrats in my opinion comming up in 2004. Kerry from MA and Leberman (spelling ??) from CT. This will be my first time voting so I'll be paying attention to what each canidate has to say.
I think its Lieberman.

Democrats-Republicans

Two sides of the same evil coin.

We need HONEST, INDEPENDENT MEN in office.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon

"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell

"The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it." - Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion." - Edmund Burke

Think about it.

I suppose I was spared...is that the name of the attendant there at Reno? Hehe...I wouldn't know...never saw him once, LOL.

As for the trains I work....you are correct, I am in school now. I was hoping to work over this holiday, but apparently because of the cuts, too many old management folks had my positions....doh. But, I will be planning/hoping to work again over the coming summer. The trains I will normally work are Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Texas Eagle, and Lake Shore Limited. So I guess I probably won't see you on the Crescent....unless it's crew base gets terribly sick....or you can come up through Chicago, and possibly catch me there.

I was just in Atlanta over Thanksgiving...flew there and then drove to Savannah. I was only in Atlanta for a few hours, but I got a chance to check out Underground Atlanta...kinda neat. The drivers are terrible there though....my cousin Steve confirmed that one too, hehe.

I suppose I was spared...is that the name of the attendant there at Reno? Hehe...I wouldn't know...never saw him once, LOL.
Almost covered the keyboard with coffee! Thanks for the laugh! LOL!

Passing Sunnyside Yard early this afternoon I spotted a four car consist of Phase VI Amcans being led by a "Sweedish Meatball" at the east end of the yard on the curve. Of course I couldn't get a picture as the windows on the LIRR car were in dire need of replacement due to haze.

tp49 said:
Passing Sunnyside Yard early this afternoon I spotted a four car consist of Phase VI Amcans being led by a "Sweedish Meatball" at the east end of the yard on the curve. Of course I couldn't get a picture as the windows on the LIRR car were in dire need of replacement due to haze.
Did you also notice the signs indicating where the new tunnels for the LIRR to Grand Central will surface?

By the way, had I known you were coming in I would have waved as you passed Woodside. :)

Alan,

I missed the signs, but then again I'm not too sure where they are. We'll be heading to the city on Friday as we'll be taking NJT and SEPTA to Philly...my girlfriend is having a cheesesteak craving, I'll be sure to wave when I get to Woodside :)

Saw the new NJT concourse and it is very nice indeed. Funny thing is I cannot for the life of me remember what was there before the concourse.

tp49 said:
Alan,
I missed the signs, but then again I'm not too sure where they are.  We'll be heading to the city on Friday as we'll be taking NJT and SEPTA to Philly...my girlfriend is having a cheesesteak craving, I'll be sure to wave when I get to Woodside :)
TP,

Heading into the city, you will see the signs to the right side of the tracks, there are two of them. They are right after Amtrak joins the main line, but before you reach the main maintenance buildings in Sunnyside yard. The signs are probably just a little larger than a typical station name sign. Blink, :blink: and you will miss them.

Woodside is technically my home station on the LIRR. It's only 8 blocks from where I live, so I can easily walk to it. In fact, I hope to meet a good friend of mine Kevin Korell there today. He's currently on part one of a rather interesting train odyssey. His goal is basically to travel from Boston, Mass. to Virginia using only commuter trains.

He can use Amtrak to fill in the holes where there is no commuter service, and he can use Amtrak in one direction to get into position. If you like, you can read more about his planned journey here on On Track On Line. Also included on that page are two links to his actual itinerary. I hope to join him for the final legs today, Woodside to Philly.

I thought about doing something like this once at least from NYP to Boston but could not find a way around the New London-Providence gap in commuter service as I was going to Boston to visit friends with some time limitations. Reason we've done it NYP to Philly is because it is about half the price of Amtrak and not that much longer. Still sounds like fun to try, hope it went successfully.

Thought you might like to know:

I requested a gift catalog from the Amtrak website. Along with it came a travel planner, a 2002 travel planner. Take that to mean whatever you want.

I found it funny though...since the inside cover has the info about the satisfaction guaranteed program, they had to include a little leaflet about the fact that it has been cancelled.

tubaallen said:
I found it funny though...since the inside cover has the info about the satisfaction guaranteed program, they had to include a little leaflet about the fact that it has been cancelled.
Yeah, these little "leaflets" have been enough for our station to all but stop giving the travel planners out. Passengers inadvertently drop the leaflets all over the floor when they pick up the planners. A headache and a mess!

jccollins said:
tubaallen said:
Yeah, these little "leaflets" have been enough for our station to all but stop giving the travel planners out. Passengers inadvertently drop the leaflets all over the floor when they pick up the planners. A headache and a mess!
Sounds like job security for the janitorial staff :)

This is one of those posts that goes on forever and seems to be about everything. Let me add my two cents on this---excuse me if this has been covered before....but as to the pointless arrow.......there is a problem with it as a highway direction sign.. The motorist may follow the pointless arrow direction itself when perhaps the station is in the opposite direction....can be confusing.....I have heard of many motorists in stange cities getting lost due to that. On this forum we are used to it....but non-fans are not.

Also FYI:

On the front cover, there's a train on the bottom. I find it interesting that it has an Amfleet (apparantely) and a Dome Deadheading on the back of it.

Just thought it was an interesting thing to point out.

This thread is starting to resemble a train wreck... :)

I did see the East Side Tunnel Access sign today and for such a large capital project the sign is just too small.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back